METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Feb 7, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #482 of 943
I am still waiting for my unit to burn in , currently at 80hrs .

But I'd love to share my favourite moment with the Thummim tour demo unit I had loaned.

I was in a 6hrs travel from Macedonia to Serbia, on the night of orthodox chrstimas eve and had listened to Thummim all way through. It was the best experience I had with any IEMs and aslo the best car ride. :)
Love it, great story.

Feb 7, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #483 of 943
Is it avaiable on Tidal?
Yes. Not sure how to link a song but it is listed as - Hotel California (Live On MTV, 1994) [master]

Feb 8, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #484 of 943
Had a nice session last night with Thummim Fiio Q5s TC (with thx aaa amp section)

Anyone else try this combo?

Clearly warmer than the Hugo 2 - but I think I quite like it. Bit bassier, no real loss of detail. Maybe slightly less sense of space - but could be imagining it.

I hate AB comparisons but will try a few tracks later :)

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #485 of 943
Hi folks, what's the best eartip you would recommend for the Thummim?

I have a completely nice fit with Xelastic, but sometimes I find that the mids/female vocals (of JPOP/ACG) sounds recessed, weak and not very transparent. Does my finding has anything to do with Xelastic as I saw some comments saying the Xelastic makes Thummim too warm somewhere else on head-fi.

I am using Thummim+Iliad+SP2k.

Also wondering if there's a general conclusion how a deep vs shallow insertion will tweak the tone of sounds? The Xelastic definitely gives me the deepest insertion among all the tips I tried(stock silicon, symbio w, comply foam, spinfit...).

Any ideas are appreciated! Thanks.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #486 of 943
Hi folks, what's the best eartip you would recommend for the Thummim?

I have a completely nice fit with Xelastic, but sometimes I find that the mids/female vocals (of JPOP/ACG) sounds recessed, weak and not very transparent. Does my finding has anything to do with Xelastic as I saw some comments saying the Xelastic makes Thummim too warm somewhere else on head-fi.

I am using Thummim+Iliad+SP2k.
Just saw your signature and thought I'd ask if you prefer Thummim with Iliad more then with code 51 ? :)

Feb 10, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #487 of 943
Just saw your signature and thought I'd ask if you prefer Thummim with Iliad more then with code 51 ? :)
I kept A/B testing Code 51 and Iliad with Thummim these days. It's pretty hard to draw a conclusion based on my taste. Code 51 sounds warmer than the Iliad imo, Code 51 adds more color and presentation to the mids/vocals, so it works better for me when I listen to JPOP. while Iliad is brighter and more aggressive in a beautiful way on the treble so I would use Iliad for other genres, also Iliad extends the soundstage a tad more further than Code 51.

Thummim under both cables are phenomenal, except for the weirdly weak performance on some JPOP vocals.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #488 of 943
Hi Guys, just received my Thummin today which I bought on the back of reading this thread and all your excellent reviews. Early days but I'm already loving it!
I have only owned Campfire iems before with the mmcx connectors, what I can't understand is the design of the 2 pin connector, it has that raised thinner section where the pins are then the fatter body of the connector which makeds the whole thing quite long and I would have thought from a design point weaker, is there a specific reason for this that I'm missing? I see on some of the promo stuff it's not there and the larger part of the connector is butted up to the iem.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #489 of 943
Hi Guys, just received my Thummin today which I bought on the back of reading this thread and all your excellent reviews. Early days but I'm already loving it!
I have only owned Campfire iems before with the mmcx connectors, what I can't understand is the design of the 2 pin connector, it has that raised thinner section where the pins are then the fatter body of the connector which makeds the whole thing quite long and I would have thought from a design point weaker, is there a specific reason for this that I'm missing? I see on some of the promo stuff it's not there and the larger part of the connector is butted up to the iem.

2pin connectors come in two basic shapes. One is flush and one is as you've just described

The reason for the second type is because they're made for recessed sockets - the socket is made with a recessed hole which that thinner part fits into

The Thummim has a flat 2pin socket which would suit a flush 2pin connector much better, but Eletech don't really supply cables with those, hence the mismatch

Here's a random picture of an IEM with a recessed socket which will hopefully explain things a bit better...

fearless-crystalpearl-redblue-2_1024x1024.jpg

Feb 17, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #490 of 943
2pin connectors come in two basic shapes. One is flush and one is as you've just described

The reason for the second type is because they're made for recessed sockets - the socket is made with a recessed hole which that thinner part fits into

The Thummim has a flat 2pin socket which would suit a flush 2pin connector much better, but Eletech don't really supply cables with those, hence the mismatch

Here's a random picture of an IEM with a recessed socket which will hopefully explain things a bit better...

Thanks for the explanation, that makes perfect sense but maybe a strange decision given how perfect the iem finish is, I wonder if there is an adapter which could at least tidy up the look?

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #493 of 943
My first MMR IEM Gae Bolg has arrived. :smiley:

OOTB impression when pairing with Cayin C9: This is a dynamic, intimate IEM with a mid focus. The soundstage is surprisingly good.

Attachments

• AD664C0D-9D4A-48C0-BE9B-44C87BF8204D.jpeg
    AD664C0D-9D4A-48C0-BE9B-44C87BF8204D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #494 of 943
My first MMR IEM Gae Bolg has arrived. :smiley:

OOTB impression when pairing with Cayin C9: This is a dynamic, intimate IEM with a mid focus. The soundstage is surprisingly good.
I have been listening to them a lot over the past week or so and absolutely love the sound. The balance, especially with Prudence, is really nice. It is quite a rich, musical and engaging sound with great clarity and detail, yet it is all super smooth and highly enjoyable. I can literally listen to these all day without fatigue or discomfort (the fit is superb!) and completely forget that I am supposed to write a review of them, which is always a good sign IEMs resonate with me.

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #495 of 943
I have been listening to them a lot over the past week or so and absolutely love the sound. The balance, especially with Prudence, is really nice. It is quite a rich, musical and engaging sound with great clarity and detail, yet it is all super smooth and highly enjoyable. I can literally listen to these all day without fatigue or discomfort (the fit is superb!) and completely forget that I am supposed to write a review of them, which is always a good sign IEMs resonate with me.
The Gae Bolg is REALLY good, way surpassing my expectation for it. Now I would actually prefer it over U18t as the Gae Bolg is more musical and dynamic to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back