METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #513 of 943
Love my Thummim but I'm missing the bass from my old IER-Z1Rs. Any suggestions?
I have only read reviews but seem to remember those describing the Thummim as quite bass heavy?

Other than the Z1R, candidates to check out for bass include the Legend X, Nio and Trio.

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #514 of 943
I was considering selling my Thummim and Iliad- somewhat begrudgingly considering how much I love the IEM.

My main issue (be it with Plato and more so with Iliad) has been that certain genres like jazz and folk didn't sound right to my ears given the Thum's sound signature.

I hadn't used it in a while and took it out for a walk with my new Luxury&Precision W2 dongle. I cannot explain it but everything sounded just "right" and most excellent, no matter the genre.

Naturally no longer intending to sell the pair on- I just can't explain the massive change in how I perceive the sound signature.
Wondering if you are still loving this combo? Giving it some serious thought myself, how is the sound stage compared to stand-alone dap?

Apr 10, 2021 at 6:50 PM Post #515 of 943
I had paired the Thummim briefly with Lopoo Paw S1 and found it a really poor match up.
Much preffered the Tin hifi t2 plus then the Thummim.

The S1 just couldn't get that immersion Thummim can achieve , and the FR sounded mushed up together. It didn't sound unpleasant. But just nothing impressive at all.

Now with a burned in dx300 I couldn't be happier however :)

Apr 11, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #516 of 943
Wondering if you are still loving this combo? Giving it some serious thought myself, how is the sound stage compared to stand-alone dap?
It is much, much better than the Paw S1 (which I had on loan but decided to send back);

I generally dislike DAPs and ended up selling my dx300 a few weeks ago- only left with the terrific sounding A&K SP2K.

Interestingly enough, I don't get the feeling that the W2 is limiting Thummim in the way that, say, the Chord Mojo is. Totally worth buying!

Apr 11, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #517 of 943
Yes the S1 sounded very poor to my ears, had it originally to pair with Solaris 2020 which was great but with Thummin it felt very flat and dull. I have the Kann Alpha paired with them but would like another lighter option!!:)

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #518 of 943
Go for it! I bet you will love it :)

Apr 11, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #519 of 943
The dc04 by ibasso also performs much better then s1 with Thummim.

Although I still perfer tin t 2 plus with it as it doesn't sound as sharp and shrill as it makes the Thummim sound...

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #521 of 943
Well, Gents, I came across an offer I couldn't pass on, I'll have a Thummim incoming, and I just read the thread in one sitting (well with the help of my LXs, being feed by the Burson Conductor 3 XP), I cannot wait to get my ears on them, many thanks to @doctorjuggles, @NYanakiev, @mvvRAZ, and @Wyville for stirring my lust for these beauties. Here's hoping they fit my dumbo ears! Thanks, Gents, I loved the 1266 when I had them, but they were too “fiddly, ” but if I can approximate that sound in an IEM, heaven on earth!

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #522 of 943
Well, Gents, I came across an offer I couldn't pass on, I'll have a Thummim incoming, and I just read the thread in one sitting (well with the help of my LXs, being feed by the Burson Conductor 3 XP), I cannot wait to get my ears on them, many thanks to @doctorjuggles, @NYanakiev, @mvvRAZ, and @Wyville for stirring my lust for these beauties. Here's hoping they fit my dumbo ears! Thanks, Gents, I loved the 1266 when I had them, but they were too “fiddly, ” but if I can approximate that sound in an IEM, heaven on earth!
Hope you will enjoy them! I have not heard the Thummim in a while now because of the tour and servicing, but I hope to have them around again soon and try them out with a few (for me) new high-end sources such as the Shanling M8, LPGT and Violectric V380. Then they will go on to @MatW for a demo. :beerchug:

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #523 of 943
Congratulations!!! Such a fantastic set of IEMs. Do get yourself an Eletech Iliad at some point too- I feel like it massively elevates the Thummim further.

Frankly, I am surprised that it wasn't bundled with Thummim to begin with!

Apr 12, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #524 of 943
Hopefully, I will get the Iliad, or something quite similar to match up with my Thummim, I'm pumped, like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #525 of 943
Hopefully, I will get the Iliad, or something quite similar to match up with my Thummim, I'm pumped, like a kid waiting for Christmas morning!
I wouldn't dare use a non-Eletech cable with the Thummim. Blasphemy :D

Enjoy:))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back