Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #2,027 of 3,070
Can anyone recommend a Wall Adapter for use in Singapore to charge the Stepdance? (12 - 14V, linear regulated).  Searching around I can't seem to find one

Singapore has a mains of 230V at 50Hz, and compatible plugs are the UK ones.

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #2,028 of 3,070
So will the XP8000 with that WI1 cable be ok for Australia? Meaning just power adapter plug needed?

Also Is there anyone who has tried the UM Miracle or Merlin with this amp?........I really need to know

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #2,030 of 3,070
Has anyone compared the PCStep with the Quickstep?
How does the amp section of the PCStep compare with the Quickstep? Big difference?

Cheers,

There was a comparison between the two in another thread. But it did not describe the sound differences that well. So it would be interesting with more comparisons if anyone get a chance to listen to both for a while.

Oct 27, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #2,031 of 3,070
Stepdance / Quickstep owners,

Are these amps easily capable of driving headphones like the DT880, HD600/650, HE400? I'd like to use it at home for full size HP's as well as IEM's.

Wondering whether the Objective2 would be a better choice for purely home use...

Also is there any channel imbalance or hiss at very low volumes with sensitive IEM's?

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #2,032 of 3,070
Quote:
Stepdance / Quickstep owners,

Are these amps easily capable of driving headphones like the DT880, HD600/650, HE400? I'd like to use it at home for full size HP's as well as IEM's.

Wondering whether the Objective2 would be a better choice for purely home use...

Also is there any channel imbalance or hiss at very low volumes with sensitive IEM's?

I use the 2Stepdance on high gain mode with FitEar TG334s and at normal listening volumes the background 100% black. If you max the volume some hiss will appear, but you would never actually listen like this. On low gain mode you may have to turn up the volume enough that a bit of hiss appears.

The 2Stepdance uses an analog pot to configure an array of resistors to set the volume. This is one of the best volume control implementations I've seen because it guarantees perfect channel balance at any volume level and avoids the pitfalls of a digital volume control implementation. The only other equipment I'm aware of that uses a similar setup is Accuphase, and that's some of best stuff money can buy.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #2,033 of 3,070
Quote:

I use the 2Stepdance on high gain mode with FitEar TG334s and at normal listening volumes the background 100% black. If you max the volume some hiss will appear, but you would never actually listen like this. On low gain mode you may have to turn up the volume enough that a bit of hiss appears.

The 2Stepdance uses an analog pot to configure an array of resistors to set the volume. This is one of the best volume control implementations I've seen because it guarantees perfect channel balance at any volume level and avoids the pitfalls of a digital volume control implementation. The only other equipment I'm aware of that uses a similar setup is Accuphase, and that's some of best stuff money can buy.

I heard no hiss with the TG334 and Stepdance. Maybe you listen louder than I do.

Actually if you can use high gain mode with the TG334, you are listening much louder than I do. I was near the bottom of the volume pot on low gain (within 4.5 to 9 db or so)*. That's with the 1 Vrms iPod Classic. Sources don't usually get any quieter.

Generally the active balanced ground does about as good a job as you could hope for in eliminating hiss with sensitive IEMs. ES5 is also completely black.

The volume control is indeed fine.

[Edit: FYI my Stepdance has the 'low gain mod" which lowers low gain to unity gain, i.e. the same level as the 2Stepdance and Quickstep.]

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #2,034 of 3,070
For what it is worth, I hear a hiss when the volume is above around 80% on my original Stepdance, on both high and low gain. I would NEVER listen at that high a volume regularly, so it does not matter. At the volumes I listen to, the Stepdance is black (outside the "clicks" when changing volume due to the digital pot).

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #2,037 of 3,070
Quote:
Well that's a big - never

I'd like to continue enjoying my music for another half a dozen or so decades (I should be so lucky), and want to keep my hearing as healthy as possible. :)

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #2,038 of 3,070
Quote:

I heard no hiss with the TG334 and Stepdance. Maybe you listen louder than I do.

Actually if you can use high gain mode with the TG334, you are listening much louder than I do. I was near the bottom of the volume pot on low gain (within 4.5 to 9 db or so). That's with the 1 Vrms iPod Classic. Sources don't usually get any quieter.

Generally the active balanced ground does about as good a job as you could hope for in eliminating hiss with sensitive IEMs. ES5 is also completely black.

The volume control is indeed fine.

Oh, you know what, I'm using a Sony player, which has a much lower level line out than normal, so I probably need to turn up the volume more to get the same listening level. Either way, I agree that at any normal listening level you achieve a completely black background with the 2Stepdance.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #2,039 of 3,070
Quote:
So will the XP8000 with that WI1 cable be ok for Australia? Meaning just power adapter plug needed?

Also Is there anyone who has tried the UM Miracle or Merlin with this amp?........I really need to know

Hi maguire,

I've been offline for about a week, so I apologize for the delay, but yes, it would be fine for use in Australia.  I know that Head-Fi member Duke40 uses the larger XP18000 there.

Thanks,

Mike

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #2,040 of 3,070
Yep, I've got the xp8000 in oz too. We can get the willy 15v cable sent to us under the free tips for life scheme for $16.90, and the adapter I mentioned in one of my previous posts for couple of dollars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back