Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2,043 of 3,070
Quote:
I wonder how this amp sounds with westone 4r!

The Stepdance (same amp as the Quickstep but older and bigger) sounds great with the Westone 4. Fast, clean, crisp and utterly black: no hiss.

(I have to get a Quickstep - I will eventually - but I don't actually mind the heft of my Stepdance. We have grown quite attached.)

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #2,044 of 3,070
Sure is hard parting company with something that you've gotten quite attached to, especially when it does everything so well.....tough descision I think.....But I can see why you would want the Quickstep.....Do you have room for both maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Stepdance (same amp as the Quickstep but older and bigger) sounds great with the Westone 4. Fast, clean, crisp and utterly black: no hiss.

(I have to get a Quickstep - I will eventually - but I don't actually mind the heft of my Stepdance. We have grown quite attached.)

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #2,045 of 3,070
Quote:
Sure is hard parting company with something that you've gotten quite attached to, especially when it does everything so well.....tough descision I think.....But I can see why you would want the Quickstep.....Do you have room for both maybe?

Actually I do. The Stepdance would stay at home for driving my Piano Forte IX. In that context, the extra weight and size is a plus. The Quickstep would then be my portable.

The thing that is slowing me down is that so much good stuff is coming out right now - and generally it is higher priority since the Stepdance does its dual duty well. For example, I just pre-ordered an iPad Mini...

Oct 31, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #2,046 of 3,070
Mate.....I know exactly how you feel....I would already have the Quickstep by now myself....
redface.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #2,047 of 3,070
Yeah...I just ordered a Quickstep 
regular_smile .gif
 ...my first amplifier purchase in almost two years.

I am getting tired of the all the RF-noise in my iQube since most of my listening is from Spotify on the iPhone... 

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #2,049 of 3,070
Here's a quick note regarding Jan Meier's fantastic customer service...

For fear of setting up expectations that might leave Jan feeling obliged to go the extra mile when it would be unreasonable to do so, I'm going to omit the details of our recent transaction, but I am nevertheless compelled to shout my praises for Jan Meier - he bent over backwards and then some to do some repair work on one of my two Stepdance amps.

It would be nearly impossible to exaggerate Jan Meier's commitment to customer satisfaction.  In a niche market like Head-Fi, vendors like Jan Meier are very precious.

Mike

Nov 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #2,050 of 3,070
Quote:
Here's a quick note regarding Jan Meier's fantastic customer service...

For fear of setting up expectations that might leave Jan feeling obliged to go the extra mile when it would be unreasonable to do so, I'm going to omit the details of our recent transaction, but I am nevertheless compelled to shout my praises for Jan Meier - he bent over backwards and then some to do some repair work on one of my two Stepdance amps.

It would be nearly impossible to exaggerate Jan Meier's commitment to customer satisfaction.  In a niche market like Head-Fi, vendors like Jan Meier are very precious.

Mike

I can only echo that! I have bought a few amps from Jan through the years and it has always been a pleasure to do business with him. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #2,051 of 3,070
Quote:

Agreed. I have nothing but praise for Dr. Meier and his customer service.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2,052 of 3,070
I received my Quickstep today and I am very impressed. I might be under new-toy-syndrome influence but I am so impressed by the black background of the Quickstep.

I did not expect it to be better than the iQube to be honest. I sold my P-51 Mustang last month because I liked the iQube better soundwise. Right out of the box the Quickstep easily beats my old iQube. Especially the treble is much more open and mids are more open. Everything seems to be much more in control with the Quickstep. This surprised me to be honest. I have loved the sound from my iQube for years with everything from HD650, SR325i and T70. Now I have been cutting down my headphone collection to be Beyerdynamic T5p+T70p and ER-4S for transport. Both the T5p and T70p sounds better paired with the Quickstep. This is such a great portable amp and at a great price - I could buy two of these for the price of some of the other brands (L3+SR-71b, Intruder, RX MKIII + Customs and import taxes) and still have money left. 

I can also confirm, and this might be even more important than the better sound quality, that there is ABSOLUTELY no audible noise from RF. This is having the Quickstep as a sandwich with my iPhone 5. No matter if the iPhone is in a call, downloads files from WiFi or 3G (havn't tried 4G/LTE) there is an absolutely BLACK background!!

I can not recommend this amp enough!

A few dusty pictures from the cellphone camera. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #2,054 of 3,070
Quote:
I received my Quickstep today and I am very impressed. I might be under new-toy-syndrome influence but I am so impressed by the black background of the Quickstep.

I did not expect it to be better than the iQube to be honest. I sold my P-51 Mustang last month because I liked the iQube better soundwise. Right out of the box the Quickstep easily beats my old iQube. Especially the treble is much more open and mids are more open. Everything seems to be much more in control with the Quickstep. This surprised me to be honest. I have loved the sound from my iQube for years with everything from HD650, SR325i and T70. Now I have been cutting down my headphone collection to be Beyerdynamic T5p+T70p and ER-4S for transport. Both the T5p and T70p sounds better paired with the Quickstep. This is such a great portable amp and at a great price - I could buy two of these for the price of some of the other brands (L3+SR-71b, Intruder, RX MKIII + Customs and import taxes) and still have money left. 

I can also confirm, and this might be even more important than the better sound quality, that there is ABSOLUTELY no audible noise from RF. This is having the Quickstep as a sandwich with my iPhone 5. No matter if the iPhone is in a call, downloads files from WiFi or 3G (havn't tried 4G/LTE) there is an absolutely BLACK background!!

I can not recommend this amp enough!

A few dusty pictures from the cellphone camera. 

Awesome. (Not a word that I use lightly)

Thanks for the impressions. Glad that you like it.

Nov 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #2,055 of 3,070
The Quickstep continues to please me. WIth the T5p I truly feel that I have found a great combo to be used everywhere. At home I connect a 12V PSU and the 9V batteries are easy to find everywhere when traveling. With the Quickstep I enjoy my ER-4S more than I have done with any other amplifier before. It blows a lot of air in to the ER-4S soundstage and they sound more dynamic than with any other portable amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back