Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #2,011 of 3,070
Yes, indeed!   I've said this before, but I believe anyone who likes the sound of Jan Meier's products is likely to be content with CEntrance stuff, as well.  

There's some variation within each product line, of course, but their goals appear to be the same in terms of sound signature.   I'm a big fan boy of both companies, thanks in part to you, Larry!

Mike

Oct 4, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #2,012 of 3,070
Dear Headfellows,

" Am I the only one who thinks that Meier Audio needs a Facebook page so that we can Like it? "

Facebook???

What's that????

I'm too old for stuff like that!!!!!

:)

Jan

P.S. The PCSTEP is now available!

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #2,013 of 3,070
Hey all,

This might be very very old news, but I've found an extremely cheap way of getting a 12v or 15v DC wall power supply for you americans (and the rest of us with a power plug converter).

Consists of:
  • 12v AC/DC plug or 15v AC/DC plug
  • El-cheapo adaptor a or adaptor b (could someone check adaptor b as it the male section seems like it is 3.5/1.2mm i'm not sure if this would work)

All for less than US $4-8. 

Could someone check the specs on all of those components to make sure they're appropriate?

Cheers,

edit: i'm not really sure that it's cheap either, but i'm more curious if it should work?

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #2,014 of 3,070
Quote:
Hey all,

This might be very very old news, but I've found an extremely cheap way of getting a 12v or 15v DC wall power supply for you americans (and the rest of us with a power plug converter).

Consists of:
  • 12v AC/DC plug or 15v AC/DC plug
  • El-cheapo adaptor a or adaptor b (could someone check adaptor b as it the male section seems like it is 3.5/1.2mm i'm not sure if this would work)

All for less than US $4-8. 

Could someone check the specs on all of those components to make sure they're appropriate?

Cheers,

edit: i'm not really sure that it's cheap either, but i'm more curious if it should work?

Ad-Aware is warning me against visiting all four of your links as possible sources of malware. Just FYI.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #2,015 of 3,070
Mmmm, that's odd, maybe it doesn't like the redirect through eBay Australia or the really long web addresses.

The names of the items are:
12v plug: 100-240V AC to DC Adapter Converter 12V 1A Power Supply for CCTV System US Plug
15v plug: NEW 5.5X2.1 US PLUG USA DC 15V 1A Switching Power Supply adapter 100-240 AC
Adaptor a: 1 x DC Power Jack 5.5mm Female to 3.5mm Male Plug Cable Wire for CCTV Cameras
Adaptor b: 1 DC Power 5.5mm Female to 3.5mm Male Jack Converter Plug Adapter Laptop Direct

Adaptor b looks very similar to the one you get in the powerstream set but the inner diameter is 1.2 instead of 1.35.

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #2,016 of 3,070
The combination of the UD100 + Stepdance is great driving my Piano Forte IX. I rotate 9V li-Ion batteries through the Stepdance which produces lots of clean current to drive the 16 ohm load. This is my favorite home rig right now.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #2,017 of 3,070
Check this out fellow Stepdance owners!

JDS Labs sells a coaxial power adapter for their cMoy BB v2.03 amp that fits the power jack on the back of a Stepdance:

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=PSTWX07

Quote:

Converts a standard 5.5mm DC plug to the 3.5mm size used by the cMoyBB v2.03. Slips on and off by hand, no soldering required. Economical way to use an existing power adapter! 

Prior to finding this, just now, the only way I knew to get your hands on one of these was to buy the PowerStream PST-WX07 connector assortment (which is still an option, but they charge an arm and a leg for international shipping, where JDS Labs might be more reasonable with shipping costs - I really don't know.)

It's nice to have another source for this hard-to-find item, when trying to assemble all of this.

Mike

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2,019 of 3,070
Quote:
mmm do the ebay items i listed above do the same thing?

The links you provided for the two adapters (a and b) seem to be the same link, and that product looks fine, to me.  The description includes this text:

[size=large] Female :
- Hole Diameter: 5.5 mm
- Pin Diameter: 2.1 mm
[/size]
[size=large]  [/size]
[size=large] Male :
- Outside Diameter: 3.5 mm
- Inside Diameter: 1.35 mm
[/size]

I think that would work well with Stepdance or 2Stepdance, and it would provide a little strain relief, too.  
smile.gif

Mike

Oct 13, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #2,022 of 3,070
hey power gurus, i've got a toshiba laptop power pack putting out 15v at 4A, however i'm reading 15.29v using a multimeter. In your experience, what's the highest voltage that people get away with? is it too high?

edit: turns out it doesn't have a a 5.5 mm plug so i can't use the slip on barel attachment, but the question still stands about the voltage.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #2,024 of 3,070
Dear headfellows,

all parts of the QUICKSTEP/STEPDANCE models are specified for at least 16V. Thus 15.3V will not be a problem.

The amps have been specified for 15V use since 16V powersupplies are very rare. They normally have 9, 12, or 15V.

The sizes of the powerinputs are indeed the same for all models.

Cheers

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back