Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #1,906 of 3,070

Quote:
Thanks, I put in my order Wed. night 
biggrin.gif
.  Should be here tomorrow or Monday.

After reading the various reviews I boiled it down to the Westone 4 and RE-272.  Seemed like for $250 one was getting a great IEM in the 272 and the benefits of spending $400 for the W4 wasn't going to be significantly more.  Having never heard the W4 I could be wrong but looks like I'll be using the 262 and 272 for years to come.    

Are you guys using the low or high gain setting on the 272 + 2Step combo?  Don't want to blow out my new 272 the first day. 
tongue.gif

If you can stretch out to the W4R and at a later stage try various cables, they really are an extraordinary pair of earphones!!!

Mar 9, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #1,907 of 3,070
Oh no, you planted the seed!

I really considered the W4 and W4R but the reviews for the 272 were also excellent and it came down to just picking one and living with the decision.  

Quote:
If you can stretch out to the W4R and at a later stage try various cables, they really are an extraordinary pair of earphones!!!

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #1,908 of 3,070

Quote:
Oh no, you planted the seed!

I really considered the W4 and W4R but the reviews for the 272 were also excellent and it came down to just picking one and living with the decision.  

I for one, knows that the W4 with another cable is unbelievably out of this world and there will be, I am sure, different W4R owners who will post their thoughts in the coming weeks because I have either purchased on their behalf or discussed various cables privately and all have been mightily impressed with this earphone.

For me personally, I had inklings that, although comfortable, the stock cable was strangling the life out of it. I had my standard W4 cracked open and had a Shure socket installed........I have tried with many cables and the W4 cab reveal all differences in them. I am a believer that the W4 is one of the most uncoloured and revealing earphones that you can buy currently. For me with a exorbitantly expensive silver/gold hybrid cable, it is better sounding than the a stock demo JH16 that I tried Sunday and with better bass.....

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,909 of 3,070
I also thought about the expense of getting the additional cable and for my upcoming travels I want something good and not too expensive.

I probably won't make the plunge into custom IEMs so I will definitely consider the 4R later this summer.  Eventually I should break free from the Hifiman lineup if for anything just to try another brand.  For now, I am pretty happy with the 2Step + 262 and will find out how the 272 fits into the picture soon.    

Quote:
I for one, knows that the W4 with another cable is unbelievably out of this world and there will be, I am sure, different W4R owners who will post their thoughts in the coming weeks because I have either purchased on their behalf or discussed various cables privately and all have been mightily impressed with this earphone.

For me personally, I had inklings that, although comfortable, the stock cable was strangling the life out of it. I had my standard W4 cracked open and had a Shure socket installed........I have tried with many cables and the W4 cab reveal all differences in them. I am a believer that the W4 is one of the most uncoloured and revealing earphones that you can buy currently. For me with a exorbitantly expensive silver/gold hybrid cable, it is better sounding than the a stock demo JH16 that I tried Sunday and with better bass.....

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:21 AM Post #1,910 of 3,070
Could someone please tell me the dimensions of the Powerstream barrel used with the WI15 cable?

I'll have to find one elsewhere, as i'm not prepared to pay $38 postage to the UK.

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,911 of 3,070
Hi, I'm contemplating purchasing the 2SD but I will like to know how much better is this amp as compared to the ibasso p4/d12?
I know for one this amp is pretty hyped on head fi but I just want to make sure this amp is truely as spectacular as the review say they are and not a FOTM thing.

Thanks.

Apr 14, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #1,912 of 3,070
Quote:
Hi, I'm contemplating purchasing the 2SD but I will like to know how much better is this amp as compared to the ibasso p4/d12?
I know for one this amp is pretty hyped on head fi but I just want to make sure this amp is truely as spectacular as the review say they are and not a FOTM thing.

Thanks.

I cannot comment on those specific iBasso amps. I will say that the Stepdance is materially better than the amp incorporated in the DX100 and certainly much better than the iBasso T series. IMHO YMMV.

The popularity of the SD and 2SD is now measurable in years. There is nothing FOTM about it. The issue for some people is the size - or perhaps 'was' since the newer 2SD is pretty small. Personally I still carry around my two year old original Stepdance. It's worth it to me. I also find that there is no other volume control out there that satisfies me.

Apr 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,913 of 3,070
Quote:
... and certainly much better than the iBasso T series. IMHO YMMV.

Having owned T3D, T4 and the latest T5, I can attest to this statement. T5, with its BTL ground (also a kind of active balanced ground), has a similar tuning of sound to the StepDance, but ultimately it isn't nearly as refined.

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,914 of 3,070
Hi Phraktal,

Quote:
Could someone please tell me the dimensions of the Powerstream barrel used with the WI15 cable?

I'll have to find one elsewhere, as i'm not prepared to pay $38 postage to the UK.

Looking at the description at this page:   http://www.powerstream.com/dc-tips2.htm

The female side of each of the seven adapters accepts a "5.5mm x 2.1mm" barrel connector.  Thus, the male output connector on the end of the WI15 cable has these dimensions:   5.5mm outside diameter x 2.1mm inside diameter.

For the dimensions needed to connect to your Stepdance, you can refer to the the Stepdance manual, but it happens to be the smallest of the seven adapters included with the Powerstream set:  3.5mm outside diameter x 1.35 mm inside diameter.  A 3.4mm O.D. x 1.3mm I.D. will also work.  Trust me!  

Make sure that you get the polarity correct before connecting power to the jack on the back of the Stepdance:   Tip positive (+), barrel negative (-) 

I would also recommend you measure the voltage coming out of the WI15 before you connect it to the Stepdance - to ensure that it's truly 15VDC or less.  (Proceed at your own risk, but I've driven my original Stepdance at voltages as high as 15.4 with no apparent ill effect, but that absolutely goes against Jan Meier's instruction to not exceed 15-Volts.)

Mike

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #1,915 of 3,070

In response to a PM received from yet another member residing in the UK, I have done some research and would like to share my findings (for anyone in the UK who doesn't want to purchase the Powerstream adapter tip set and pay the outrageous shipping charges.)

Problem:  How can I connect the Willy WI15 cable to my Stepdance without ordering the Powerstream adapter set from the U.S.A.

1st Solution:  

You could order just this one item:

DC power plug with soft plastic cover and strain relief. Low voltage. Solder connections

1. Hole..................................1.3mm
  2. Overall diameter...........3.5mm
  3. Length.................................10mm

http://www.radioshackuk.co.uk/epages/BT2533.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2533/Products/777-0313

Cut off the output connector that comes with the WI15 cable and replace it with the above part - allowing you to plug the WI15 cable directly into the Stepdance.  

Soldering is required, but you should be able to find someone willing to do this simple job for a lot less than the cost of the Powerstream adapter set with shipping.  Remember to make the tip positive, with the barrel negative.

2nd Solution:

Order the same part as shown above + the following part:

In line DC power socket with hard plastic cover for low voltage. Solder connections

1. Hole..................................2.1mm
  2. Overall diameter...........5.5mm
  3. Length...................................9mm

http://www.radioshackuk.co.uk/epages/BT2533.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2533/Products/777-0984

Again, some soldering will be required, but using these two parts and a short length of two-conductor wire, you could create an adapter cable for use with the unmodified WI15 cable.  You would plug the WI15 into the jack at one end of your adapter cable, then plug the other end of your adapter cable into the Stepdance.

How are your soldering skills?  (or... Do you know someone who can solder?)

Mike

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #1,919 of 3,070
2SD or SR-71B?
Can't make up my mind!

Given that the 2Stepdance offers only a single-ended input, this comparison suggests that you don't intend to take advantage of SR71B's ability to operate fully balanced. That being case, I believe the SR71B can only offer a power advantage (in addition to a slightly less neutral signature - preferred by some but not by others - and a higher price tag) but that power advantage would not be appreciated unless you are using phones that cannot be driven well with the less powerful 2Stepdance. (LCD-2s sound great with the Stepdance using a 15V external power supply, but they sound better still with an amp that delivers more Watts, as with the SR71B or an iBasso PB2 (or a potent desktop amp). But a hard-to-drive headphone like the HE6 actually needs the power of something like the SR71B or PB2 - the 2Stepdance just wouldn't be up to the task.

Keep in mind too that Skylab wrote that, in his opinion, the SR71B is at its best when used fully balanced (paraphrasing his review.)

So... what source will you be using and which headphones?

:)

Mike

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #1,920 of 3,070

Quote:
Given that the 2Stepdance offers only a single-ended input, this comparison suggests that you don't intend to take advantage of SR71B's ability to operate fully balanced. That being case, I believe the SR71B can only offer a power advantage (in addition to a slightly less neutral signature - preferred by some but not by others - and a higher price tag) but that power advantage would not be appreciated unless you are using phones that cannot be driven well with the less powerful 2Stepdance. (LCD-2s sound great with the Stepdance using a 15V external power supply, but they sound better still with an amp that delivers more Watts, as with the SR71B or an iBasso PB2 (or a potent desktop amp). But a hard-to-drive headphone like the HE6 actually needs the power of something like the SR71B or PB2 - the 2Stepdance just wouldn't be up to the task.
Keep in mind too that Skylab wrote that, in his opinion, the SR71B is at its best when used fully balanced (paraphrasing his review.)
So... what source will you be using and which headphones?
:)
Mike

If I were to get the 71B, I will reterminate my cables to balanced(lined out from my iMod) so it means additional cost on top of the already expensive 71B.
2SD is great but it looks really bulky, as compared to the relatively more slender looking 71B.
I've read Skylab's reviews and that is the reason why I'm only considering these 2 at the moment, since the L3 is merely transportable.

I'm currently using the HD600, Heir Audio 8A, TDK BA200.
For portability, I go with the IEMs and for home usage I have my 600s currently being driven by the Little Dot Mk 3.
I'm hoping to purchase an amp which works well for both IEMs when I'm on the move and being able to drive my 600s back at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back