Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #1,876 of 3,070
hi guys, i just wanna clear the doubts im having. to date, the 2stepdance is the newer version of stepdance. but does it still requite the battery change? tech sheet says supply voltage is 15v. 

ps: the reason why we change the battery is to increase the playback time right?

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #1,877 of 3,070

Quote:
hi guys, i just wanna clear the doubts im having. to date, the 2stepdance is the newer version of stepdance. but does it still requite the battery change? tech sheet says supply voltage is 15v. 

ps: the reason why we change the battery is to increase the playback time right?

The 9V battery is there so you can use 2SD as a portable amp. Once you hook the 2SD with an external power supply (higher than 10V), it will no longer drain the battery for power. Instead, it will be powered solely by the external supply. You can take out the battery if you want at this point. Dr. Meier is suggesting that the battery should be left inside so the battery door won't come off by itself easily. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,879 of 3,070

Quote:
but that will make the 2SD more on home usage due to the large size? or do people actually bring the external battery out as well?

Yes, as crazy as it sounds, some of us do bring a brick size rig when travel. If you don't think you can do that, just stick to 9V battery then.

Jan 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #1,880 of 3,070

Hi Jeremyh,

Quote:
but that will make the 2SD more on home usage due to the large size? or do people actually bring the external battery out as well?

Some people use their Stepdance or 2Stepdance with an external battery while away from home - for portable use, but I would guess that most owners are content with using the 9V internal battery all the time - both at home and when operating portable.  

When I use the amp with efficient IEMs that don't require much power to sound their best, the 9V internal battery provides plenty of power, but when I use the amp with full size (relatively inefficient, power-hungry) headphones, I can hear a substantial improvement in bass extension and control by using the maximum voltage permitted with the Stepdance - 15-Volts DC.   When I want to use my Audeze LCD-2 outdoors or while travelling, I carry the 15-Volt external battery (the Energizer XP8000 rig, as shown in my signature, below), but I also use the 15-Volt rig indoors, whenever I'm using the Stepdance with fullsize headphones.

Battery choice all depends on how you intend to use the Stepdance or 2Stepdance - indoors vs. outdoors, efficient headphones vs. inefficient or something in between.  Note that the 2Stepdance offers about half again as much battery life as the original Stepdance for any given choice of battery (9-Volt internal  or 15-Volt external).

To begin with, I recommend you start out by purchasing a 15-Volt AC-to-DC linear (not switched) regulated (not unregulated) power supply with the appropriate barrel connector for attachment to the 2Stepdance.  These are fairly inexpensive, but it will allow you to judge for yourself the difference in audio quality between using a 9-Volt internal battery and an external 15-Volt power supply.  With your source, your headphones, and your ears, if you don't hear a difference, then you can be content to use the 9V battery at all times, except when you want to preserve your batteries by using the 15-Volt AC-to-DC power supply when operating near an AC outlet.  If, on the other hand, you CAN hear a difference when operating at 15-Volts with your rig, then you might want to take the plunge to set yourself up with a 15-Volt external battery pack.  At least you'll know exactly what advantage the 15-Volt battery pack offers over 9-Volt operation, if any, before deciding if you want to go portable with the extra weight and bulk.

Mike

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #1,881 of 3,070
Quote:
To begin with, I recommend you start out by purchasing a 15-Volt AC-to-DC linear (not switched) regulated (not unregulated) power supply with the appropriate barrel connector for attachment to the 2Stepdance.  These are fairly inexpensive,,,,

Mike

I wish that I could find one that I can buy here or online...

Jan 2, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #1,882 of 3,070
They are hard to find in the States, as well.   You might try settling for a 13.8 (or 12-Volt) power supply - they're a lot more common - at least here in the States.  

Can you find any products like these at your location?

http://amzn.com/B0002BA566   (US $26.12)

51LIqfRUDeL._SS500_.jpg

Or this:  

http://amzn.com/B000M4BBKC     (US $23.03)
41s76zLAroL._SS500_.jpg

You can connect either of the above power supplies using something like this:

http://amzn.com/B000LFRT8K      (US $1.98)

21J%2BkAQy6iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Or you could solder your own power cable for the Stepdance (or 2Stepdance) using a Type H coaxial connector like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102487      (US $3.19, for two)

pRS1C-2264645w345.jpg

And the following might be a switched power supply, rather than linear, but it is regulated - and it puts out the ideal 15-Volts DC.  The specs indicate that it is filtered to reduce noise and hum:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875409#     (US $29.99)

pRS1-6856246w345.jpg

It can be connected to the Stepdance using their Adaptaplug H - no soldering required:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3870006&clickid=prod_cs    (US $6.99)

pRS1-6848296w345.jpg

Mike

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #1,887 of 3,070
Hi Spudharris,

I'm a total beginner at this, having become curious of headfi after owning a couple of Beats I must admit...
I happened to stumble upon the pics of that sweet looking rig of yours, so I got one. (pod/clas/2stepdance)
Now I have tried it with my senn hd650's and westone w4's, and for the love of all that is holy, this is sounding good 
beyersmile.png

Thank you for giving me a new dimension to my favorite hobby, and ruining my bank account with a fat grin!

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #1,888 of 3,070
Something interesting just arrived. I got two of these chargers and four of the Soshine 500 mAh 9 volt L-ion batteries on Taobao. They were recommended by another Head-fier a long time ago. The total with shipping by EMS was about US$55! The chargers charge each battery individually (that's actually a dual left/right red/green LED) and have safe charging circuits. 

The batteries are easy enough to get into the Stepdance; a little more difficult to get out as they are a bit wide. For now, a small screwdriver does the trick. 

They are charging right now. With four batteries, I should be able to use the Stepdance quite freely both portable and at home. I will report back on how it works out.

Feb 28, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,889 of 3,070
Mr Zilch0md, I got my Stepdance + XP8000 + WI15 + AB05 + Powerstream connector all hooked up.  Sound is phenomenal.  I can even drive my HE-500 very well with it.  I wasn't expecting that.  I dare say the soundstage of this amp competes or exceeds my beloved V200 amp.

Problem:  high-pitch squeal when XP8000 is discharging.  Is that normal?   I don't get the squeal if everything is hooked up and I also charge the XP8000 at the same time.  I don't get the squeal if I use the USB output.  I will try XP8000 tomorrow with the cMoyBB tomorrow.  I just want to see if I get a bad XP8000 or it is normal when a 15V device is hooked up.   When I received it today I have the sneaky suspicion that somebody returned it as there were fingerprints on it and you just get the feeling it is a returned unit when the packaging just doesn't look need inside.  Plus the XP8000 box had some rough looking corners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back