Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,847 of 3,070
Something really sad happened to me today :C

I was using my DT1350 with my Stepdance and an iMod. Both the iMod and the Stepdance were safely tucked away in my backpack, held together by strips of Velcro. When I started putting down my backpack while waiting for the bus I felt a little tingling on my ears. It felt just like the tingling you sometimes feel when a static charge is gathering. Just when I put the backpack down there was a weird noise. Kind of like the noise you hear when plugging speakers into an amplifier that’s turned on already. After that noise the music stopped playing and I got really worried. When I checked the blue light on my Stepdance was no longer on and my iMod had crashed. I unplugged it from the XP8000 immediately and checked up on the Stepdance once I got on the bus. When I opened the back cover a tiny cloud of smoke came out and it smelled like burned wire. Ever since then my Stepdance is not showing any signs of life and I’m really worried about damage to my iMod. (Without an amp I have no way of testing it)

I've only had time to enjoy my new rig for about one month (Stepdance iMod LCD2) and not being able to use the LCD's anymore makes me really sad.
What's really unfair though is that I have no idea what I could have done to prevent this from happening. I'm always really careful with my gear and it usually lasts past the point where I want to replace it with a newer model. At least in audio.

Nov 18, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #1,848 of 3,070
Dunkelbunt, sorry to hear this. You had a serious battery short. Very strange.

I think it extremely unlikely that this would do any harm to your iMod. The DC blocking cap in the LOD connecting it to the Stepdance would block most electricity that might have flowed backwards. (Nor are iPods so fragile.)

You do however have a fried Stepdance. Contact Jan.

Nov 19, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #1,849 of 3,070

Quote:
You had a serious battery short.

The battery did not loose any charge and is still working fine. The Xpal resistor does not appear to have taken any damage eighter and its LED light is still working as well so I doubt it was a battery short. I suspect that the buildup of a static charge is what fried my Stepdance.

Dec 3, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #1,853 of 3,070
Does anyone know if leaving the Stepdance plugged via 15v ac adapter 24/7 will be bad or consume lots of power even with device essentially turned off (pass the volume knob click).  I did read that it will get slightly warm, but besides the led still being on I don't know what else is consuming power and making the device warm. 

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #1,854 of 3,070
Does anyone know if leaving the Stepdance plugged via 15v ac adapter 24/7 will be bad or consume lots of power even with device essentially turned off (pass the volume knob click).  I did read that it will get slightly warm, but besides the led still being on I don't know what else is consuming power and making the device warm. 

I have always made it good practice to power down any device when not using it. There is no point in leaving it on or even connected to the power source when not listening. I never found with mine that there was much warm up difference. It sort of settled in after a couple of tracks were played and that is a practice I have maintained from my early home amp days. Switch on, let a few tunes play to warm the system up and away you go!

Dec 4, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #1,855 of 3,070
I see.  I am just a little bit worried about the wear I'm putting on the power input port for the Stepdance since I have been using it primarily as a desktop amp.  All the plugging and unplugging might be bad since the connection is pretty tight, but I'm not sure if it outweighs having it plugged in 24/7.  I guess I can try to unplug the cord at the wall outlet if I didn't have it at such a hard to reach position.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #1,856 of 3,070
I see.  I am just a little bit worried about the wear I'm putting on the power input port for the Stepdance since I have been using it primarily as a desktop amp.  All the plugging and unplugging might be bad since the connection is pretty tight, but I'm not sure if it outweighs having it plugged in 24/7.  I guess I can try to unplug the cord at the wall outlet if I didn't have it at such a hard to reach position.

That would be my concern as well. I would simply unplug at the wall socket. A simpler way might be to plug it into an extension power bar that has it's own on/off switch, that way no unplugging of anything just switching off the power bar!

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #1,859 of 3,070
I'm just wondering if the stepdance is powerful enought to drive the hd650

I just sold mine to an HD650 owner yesterday and he seemed very happy with the combination!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back