Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #1,756 of 3,070
I contacted Sony and the A867 will not be released in the US due to "design difference"

They said the reason is the EU volume limitation. That model was never intended for the US market, but will continue to be available in the UK and European market

They did not comment on the possibility for future 64GB player release.

Maybe the best option is to get the EU 64GB player and use a LOD cable to an amp....problem solved!

It will be back in stock September 23rd:

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Sony.76/NWZA867B.CEW/Sony_NWZ-A867_64GB_Walkman__Video_MP3_player_Colour_BLACK.13114.html

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #1,757 of 3,070

Quote:
I contacted Sony and the A867 will not be released in the US due to "design difference"

They said the reason is the EU volume limitation. That model was never intended for the US market, but will continue to be available in the UK and European market

They did not comment on the possibility for future 64GB player release.

Maybe the best option is to get the EU 64GB player and use a LOD cable to an amp....problem solved!

It will be back in stock September 23rd:

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Sony.76/NWZA867B.CEW/Sony_NWZ-A867_64GB_Walkman__Video_MP3_player_Colour_BLACK.13114.html

Volume cap should only be a problem for those who either listen at very high volumes - not recommended - or who have less sensitive headphones - IEMs are usualy pretty sensitive.

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #1,758 of 3,070
That was quite an interesting discussion :)

I'm trying to decide if I should go all the way and upgrade my whole setup from J3-Stepdance-AH-D7000 to Ipod-CLAS-Stepdance-LCD2 and use the J3-AH-D7000 rig for portable and the Ipod-CLAS-Stepdance-LCD2 for transportable use.

The LCD2’s are pretty much unanimously considered to be superior to the AH-D7000 and worth upgrading to. However there are some things I don’t like about the IPod-CLAS combination.
I don’t like the fact that I’m always going to be tied to an I-device with the CLAS and that using it with my laptop is not possible.
Also like with most apple devices there are annoying restrictions that are not there due to hardware limitations. I don’t see why apple doesn’t allow manufacturers to add the increased functionality of charging the IPod just because the device can’t charge the IPad even if it would be a simple matter of upgrading the firmware.

I would also have to re-rip/convert all my FLAC files to apple lossless which in turn will not play or will not play properly on my J3 just because apple refuses to release the codec.

Unfortunately apple devices that I buy have a tendency to break down in under a year’s time.
I had an IPod that started randomly crashing and skipping songs because of a defective hard drive after about 7 months. When I gave it back to have it repaired they sent it back without fixing anything saying that it’s working again. I returned it two more times explaining the problem in detail and they sent it back without fixing it every time until the warranty ran out all the while refusing to exchange it for a new unit. They never admitted to anything being broken.
A few years later a relative of mine who was an apple fan and didn’t believe my story sent it in again to have it repaired and of course they were able to determine that the hard drive was defective but fixing it would not be an option because it would cost more than buying a new IPod. A year or so after my first one broke down I had bought another IPod. It lasted a full 13 months before dying as well because the hard disk broke down (again). Of course this time it had no warranty left and I decided not to buy anything from apple ever again.

I’m not 100% convinced yet if getting the IPod-CLAS combo would be worth going through all the hassle of having to deal with the failings of an apple product again but it appears that there is not much of a choice if I don’t want to compromise in sound quality.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #1,759 of 3,070
Hey Dunkelbunt,

You're stuck.  Your concerns are not unreasonable, but if you're going to put sound quality ahead of everything else, you might have to break your vow to avoid Apple products.  Think of the iPod as a very expensive paper plate.  When it breaks, toss it and buy another one.  It's the price one must pay for enjoying a CLAS.  Besides, you've had you're run of bad luck with iPods - you might get lucky on your next purchase.

Me, I'm enjoying the simplicity and value of my Sony PCM-M10 with the 15V Stepdance and LCD-2.  It's DAC isn't the best on the planet, but I loaned the PCM-M10 to Misterrogers and dj nellie, both of whom were impressed, but the CLAS beats all, and certainly the DAC built into the Sony PCM-M10, even though it is 96/24 capable.  Still, I just enjoy it so much, I really don't have any desire to drop nearly $1000 on a 160GB iPod Classic + CLAS + interconnects - not yet, anyway.

Mike

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #1,760 of 3,070
Zilch, don't you think that the sound from CLAS+15V Stepdance is a tad too clean? I didn't notice this until I switched back to the SR71A while I was playing with the Fostex HP-P1.  The SR71A sounded more natural to me for the LCD2. But of course factors may vary, e.g. using different interconnects and headphone cable (I am using Norse).

Sep 16, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #1,761 of 3,070

Quote:
Hey Dunkelbunt,

You're stuck.  Your concerns are not unreasonable, but if you're going to put sound quality ahead of everything else, you might have to break your vow to avoid Apple products.  Think of the iPod as a very expensive paper plate.  When it breaks, toss it and buy another one.  It's the price one must pay for enjoying a CLAS.  Besides, you've had you're run of bad luck with iPods - you might get lucky on your next purchase.

Hey Mike

Seems like I am indeed. :)

Since no other solutions have been announced for the near future I'm probably gonna pick one up if one pops up in the FS forums for a decent price.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #1,762 of 3,070
Hey Googleli,

I personally haven't had the opportunity to listen to a CLAS + 15V Stepdance (with any headphones).  I'm basing my conviction that it's the best combo for the LCD-2 on the opinions of others.  I completely respect your opinion (some people like coconut and others do not), but ianmedium, for example, sure does like the way it sounds with his rev1 LCD-2s.  

Odds are I'm wrong, but going by what you wrote, I suspect you are a fan of the HiFiMan HM-801 and/or the RWA iMod - for their less clinical, more organic signatures.  Have you heard them?

Mike

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #1,765 of 3,070
Hey Googleli,

I personally haven't had the opportunity to listen to a CLAS + 15V Stepdance (with any headphones).  I'm basing my conviction that it's the best combo for the LCD-2 on the opinions of others.  I completely respect your opinion (some people like coconut and others do not), but ianmedium, for example, sure does like the way it sounds with his rev1 LCD-2s.  

Odds are I'm wrong, but going by what you wrote, I suspect you are a fan of the HiFiMan HM-801 and/or the RWA iMod - for their less clinical, more organic signatures.  Have you heard them?

Mike

Very good and clean sound from the CLAS and Stepdance 15V no doubt, but the SR71A seems to give better dynamics and musicality. Really depends on one's preference. If one tends to like the sound to be a bit cleaner then the with CLAS certainly is the way to go for the LCD2, and is probably one of the best portable setups one can have to drive the already fantastic Rev 1.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #1,766 of 3,070

Quote:
Hey Googleli,

Mike

For the sake of something resembling impartiality, I need to point out that ianmedium has been gaga over the Stepdance since day one - that isnt a criticism, just saying.......

Sep 17, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #1,767 of 3,070
I received the amp a couple of days ago. I had been using it with both ipod 5th gen and my hm601. While the ipod and stepdance combo is awesome, i havent heard that much of an improvement coming from the 601. In fact, I do find the sound somehow 'weird', and i cant really put my hands on what exactly is wrong with the combo. Besides that, the amp is quite decent both in terms of sq and build quality.

DAE have a similar experience with this particular combo?

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #1,768 of 3,070

Quote:
I will find some good DC 15V adapter locally. However I really love this 2step more than the first one (I had both).

basshead.gif

Nice pic, where did you get those covers?

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,769 of 3,070
For the sake of something resembling impartiality, I need to point out that ianmedium has been gaga over the Stepdance since day one - that isnt a criticism, just saying.......

No offense taken at all mate. I think It is important to read all posts on the stuff here to get a balanaced feeling of stuff. I think if this was the last portable amp I ever owned I would be happy, especially now I have the sound I personally like.

Having said that I am also victim to upgradeitis so will be getting an L3 at some point soon just to see if there is any improvement ( I toyed with the continental but fine amp that I am sure it is after reading a number of reviews I think it might not quite be what I am looking for)

I think your caveat is one I would encourage and have done when I have reviewed stuff, don't take my word as gospel as I am so far from being an expert on this, just like a nice sound.

Having said all of that I do feel this amp is pound for pound one of the best out there.

I just managed to at last justify the huge expense of Solti's complete ring cycle and it does sound magnificent on my set up. The power and control the Stepdance adds reall gives a sense of scale and cohesion to this version of the ring!

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #1,770 of 3,070
Having said that I am also victim to upgradeitis so will be getting an L3 at some point soon just to see if there is any improvement ( I toyed with the continental but fine amp that I am sure it is after reading a number of reviews I think it might not quite be what I am looking for)

Have you considered the SR71B in balanced mode? Skylab compared it with the L3 and he says it does alot better, and that was without a balanced input.

I was VERY close to getting the LCD2 and sr71b this last week, but decided to widen up and stick with the JH3A

Users who are viewing this thread

Back