Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #1,697 of 3,070
Don't forget to register your XP8000 online . I did & I only paid $7.95 for the cable instead of the listed $19.95(I realize that we're all made of money in this hobby, but you can just spend the savings on another item. hehehe!!)

Aug 14, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,698 of 3,070

Quote:
I use my Stepdance mainly with  Fostex T50RP (modded) orthos, 50 ohm and imod, the Stepdance is always in low gain setting, in my experience much more detail is revealed set to low gain.
A match made in heaven, the Stepdance performed admirably with my D5000s also, but the Fozzies are ultra neutral and ultra detailed and ultra fast as is the Stepdance, this makes for perfect synergy and joyful listening .  

I realize this is not the right thread for this, but after hearing the orthos, are you still able to enjoy your D5000s ? I know that I don't care for my D5000s for the nuetrality reasons w/ the 2Stepdance(or maybe any amp) I'm pretty sure I'm done w/ dynamic headphones or at least closed back dynamics. Oh, while I'm here.. HiDef thanks for the Stepdance pictures, now to order some AVM(AntiVibrationalMagic) & try some on the 2Step & my HM-602.

Aug 15, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #1,701 of 3,070
It's interesting.
It could be solar powered.

But apparently there is no adapter tip for 2Stepdance:
http://www.tekkeon.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=15

"The inside/outside diameters of the power plug should be 1.3/3.5 mm (0.05”/0.14”). The outside shaft of the plug should have negative voltage. The inside should be positive. The amplifier is protected against supply voltages of reversed (false) polarity." 
http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/stepdance2manual.pdf

Tekkeon MP3450i R2: 
. dimensions: 17.3 cm (L) x 8.3 (W) x 2.3 (D) - 330 cm3
. weight: 450 g
. price: us$ 200

Energizer XP8000:
. dimensions: 11 cm (L) x 6.8 (W) x 2.2 (D) - 150 cm3
. weight: 225 g
. price: us$ 100

2Stepdance:
. dimensions: 8.9 cm (L) x 6.5 (W) x 2.2 (D) - 127 cm3
. weight: 130 g

Aug 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #1,702 of 3,070
DanBa, I applaud your patience at searching out the parts you will need for 15v set-up; However, if you go back to page 78 of this thread & follow the suggested purchases you can be set-up & ready to go in no time. The xp8000 can be purchased from any number of websites (I'm not as patient as you, so I got mine from Amazon). The XP8000 is the only "real" expense of the parts needed. I believe the PowerStream tips were only about $7.00 or so . Then go to the"tips for life" link select just the WI15 cable & it will automatically bring you to a page were you will register the serial # of your purchased XP8000. When you go to checkout your cost for theWI15 cable(which was $19.95) is automatically reduced to $7.95. Bingo/Bango/Boingo . Between the tips that come with the XP8000 & the PowerStream set you are done with tips. (until you lose them, of course) you already have Tips for Life if your half way organized. Get to it now, man.

Aug 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #1,703 of 3,070
DanBa, I applaud your patience at searching out the parts you will need for 15v set-up; However, if you go back to page 78 of this thread & follow the suggested purchases you can be set-up & ready to go in no time. The xp8000 can be purchased from any number of websites (I'm not as patient as you, so I got mine from Amazon). The XP8000 is the only "real" expense of the parts needed. I believe the PowerStream tips were only about $7.00 or so . Then go to the"tips for life" link select just the WI15 cable & it will automatically bring you to a page were you will register the serial # of your purchased XP8000. When you go to checkout your cost for theWI15 cable(which was $19.95) is automatically reduced to $7.95. Bingo/Bango/Boingo . Between the tips that come with the XP8000 & the PowerStream set you are done with tips. (until you lose them, of course) you already have Tips for Life if your half way organized. Get to it now, man.

And you forgot to add on last vital thing.. That you shall then experience audio nirvana :D

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #1,704 of 3,070
Thanks! 
smile.gif

Aug 16, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #1,705 of 3,070
My gear is in my signature i just updated, and basically i like my music clean, crisp and liquid. After the purchase of the 2stepdance recently to replace my RSA Tomahawk i think i owe this thread some feedback and some commitment.

Firstly what a lovely little amp this is! The size does not concern me at all since i carry it in my bag most of the time while commuting but a tad heavier. The tomahawk was regarded as miniature 3years ago but now is a giant compared to the slims and shadows (can't imagine what people were thinking carrying hornets back then LOL). The build is rock solid although the design and finish on the knob could be improved.

I'm going to do my review a little less professionally because my terms are unorthodox and can only speak of what i'm experiencing. So i shall do my review with songs as references to each department.

Celtic Women - Songs from the Heart - Fields of Gold
WOW! What an opening! For a second i thought "is this the same person?" The difference in her voice compared to my Ex is astonishing. Her voice now luscious and the body of her voice is heavier and stronger than before. Because this track was well recorded, the difference in pronouncing "eshes" with "esses" to some degree was more than welcome. For me female voices are the hardest to reporduce and this amp has brought my gear to a level where 85-90% of the graininess is gone but still audible to some degree. To be honest its a portable rig and i guess the last 10% is saved for home rigs.

R. Kelly - The R. In R&B Collection Vol1 - The Worlds Greatest
Such an inspiring song but let down by a bad recording I THOUGHT previously. Somehow (i don't know how it did it) gone are the rice bubbles effect (snap, crackle and pop). The track is somewhat cleaner and more detailed than ever. The lyrics now lift me off the bed while listening to it.

Libera - New Dawn - Air (Air on a G String by Bach)
If you've never heard this before i strongly recommend while analysing the dynamics and highs of audio gear. The transition of the many voices inside this track are silky smooth and the sound seperation is as good as it can get. Some voices use to sound muddled but now all split individually.

The Eagles - Fell Freezes Over - Hotel California(live)
Although this song has been played out, but i cannot found another track that can put all aspects of audio into perspective. In this case i will be commenting on soundstage and boy what a treat!! It felt like i was sitting in the front row of the concert with instruments in front, the singer above and the crowd around me. What a spectacular audition!

Khalil Fong - Timeless Concert 2009 - Wonderful Tonight
This song SERIOUSLY brought tears to my eyes incidently, as i was looking at my girlfriend at the time and she thought i was breaking down LOL. It must have been magic of some sort as i have never had this urge before. Cannot be scientifically explained what i experienced.

There are probably many areas i missed while auditioning this amp, as i said, im not very professional and can only speak of my experiences, hope all would understand. Thanks Mr Meier!

Aug 16, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #1,706 of 3,070
I was reading through these threads to see what the main difference is between the original stepdance and the 2stepdance. If i read correctly the only difference is the size, battery life, slight sound difference(not a down grade), and price.Does anyone have anything to add to this?

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:18 AM Post #1,707 of 3,070
Different OpAmps will probably account for the difference in sound. OPA209 in the 2Stepdance and OPA1611 (I think) in the Stepdance.

I'm almost on the verge of getting the original Stepdance also, just need to be able to justify it as I don't have much in the way of free funds at present....

Aug 17, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #1,708 of 3,070
I read impression of a person who auditioned both said that the 2SD is slightly more musical than the Stepdance.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #1,709 of 3,070
Quote:
I read impression of a person who auditioned both said that the 2SD is slightly more musical than the Stepdance.

And (from that same impression) the Stepdance is slightly more detailed. One impression but an interesting one. Synergy may be be an issue also. Which is better: CLAS + Stepdance or CLAS + 2Stepdance? Inquiring minds want to know!  :)

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,710 of 3,070

Quote:
And (from that same impression) the Stepdance is slightly more detailed. One impression but an interesting one. Synergy may be be an issue also. Which is better: CLAS + Stepdance or CLAS + 2Stepdance? Inquiring minds want to know!  :)

Quote:
Here's some pics for comparision...
wink_face.gif

I confirmed for Class + 2sd have better synergy - 1st SD should go well with the darker either source or interconnect even the phones.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back