Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,666 of 3,070
Can somebody tell me how long the battery lasts on the 2Stepdance? Is it's battery life considered good for a portable amp?

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #1,667 of 3,070
Also, how is the bass on the 2stepdance, my SRH840's are bass shy, will it give it that boost that they so badly need?

Aug 7, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #1,668 of 3,070
Battery life is improved over the 1st Stepdance but I'm getting different results at the mo coz I'm trying different phones with it to see how they sound. Reference your second question about bass..... No, I'm afraid the 2Stepdance won't increase lower frequencies, it's a very neutral amp in my opinion but better suited to IEM's (IMHO)...

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #1,669 of 3,070

Quote:
Can somebody tell me how long the battery lasts on the 2Stepdance? Is it's battery life considered good for a portable amp?

Well with a store-bought non-rechargeable 9V battery (i would guess it's around 500-600mAH), mine lasted for around 12 hours on high-drain. I mean many other portable amps could promise more hours, but you are looking at an amp with no compromises to sound quality and the 2Stepdance does sound spectacular with my HD650s and my remolded Triple.fi 10 Pro's (4 drivers per ear)

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,670 of 3,070

Quote:
Battery life is improved over the 1st Stepdance but I'm getting different results at the mo coz I'm trying different phones with it to see how they sound. Reference your second question about bass..... No, I'm afraid the 2Stepdance won't increase lower frequencies, it's a very neutral amp in my opinion but better suited to IEM's (IMHO)...

Nigel, so you own both the Stepdance and the 2Stepdance now? If so, I am begging you to do a brutally honest comparison of the:
CLAS+Stepdance+ES5   and the
CLAS+2Stepdance+ES5.

I am back on the CLAS+Stepdance+ES5 with a vengeance. It has magical synergy. Compromise is no longer an option. :)  But d#mn my stack is thick. Can I substitute the 2Stepdance, save a bit of space and keep all of the magic?

(No rush. I'm about to travel and won't be buying anything in the near future anyway.)

Aug 9, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #1,671 of 3,070

Quote:
Nigel, so you own both the Stepdance and the 2Stepdance now? If so, I am begging you to do a brutally honest comparison of the:
CLAS+Stepdance+ES5   and the
CLAS+2Stepdance+ES5.

I am back on the CLAS+Stepdance+ES5 with a vengeance. It has magical synergy. Compromise is no longer an option. :)  But d#mn my stack is thick. Can I substitute the 2Stepdance, save a bit of space and keep all of the magic?

(No rush. I'm about to travel and won't be buying anything in the near future anyway.)

Oh lord, I just read what I wrote and it does read that way. No I don't have the original (wish I did) sorry about that. I know that the battery life has been improved in the 2Stepdance.

I'm ashamed to say I have not used the 2Stepdance for a while as one of my buddies from the OpAmp thread has got my rolling juices flowing again with the thought of the new 'Best OpAmps'. This means I've been testing a lot of the time with the P4 which probably means my stack is about the same size as yours at the moment haha (55mm high).

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #1,672 of 3,070
Oh, I was looking forward to the Sd. vs 2Sd. comparison, not that I am not happy with my Sd. I finally have a chance to compare it to a true balanced setup (HM801 on Balanced Amp module) with RE272 (which can configured to be either single-end or balanced), and the performance is surprisingly close. HM801 balanced-out is just a tad cleaner and more dynamic than HM801 line-out + Sd., but they are within a few percents of each other and practically no different if you are not paying attention.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #1,673 of 3,070
Quote:
Oh lord, I just read what I wrote and it does read that way. No I don't have the original (wish I did) sorry about that. I know that the battery life has been improved in the 2Stepdance.

I'm ashamed to say I have not used the 2Stepdance for a while as one of my buddies from the OpAmp thread has got my rolling juices flowing again with the thought of the new 'Best OpAmps'. This means I've been testing a lot of the time with the P4 which probably means my stack is about the same size as yours at the moment haha (55mm high).

I thought that it sounded too good to be true. Dang!  :)

Between rolling, I suggest spending some time with the CLAS+2Stepdance+ES5. It could be magic..

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,674 of 3,070
CLAS + Stepdance + LCD2 Rev 1
CLAS + 2Stepdance + LCD2 Rev 1

Is there a big difference?

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #1,675 of 3,070
I don't think that there is anyone out there that owns both. If I had the free cash, I might be the first but I am about to travel so it will have to wait until coffers refresh...  by which time the Corda Classic should be avalable... so I dunno what I will do.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #1,676 of 3,070

Dude. Looks like you always will have free cash. So please go ahead to get one and let us know whether there is a big improvement. Cheers mate.

Quote:
I don't think that there is anyone out there that owns both. If I had the free cash, I might be the first but I am about to travel so it will have to wait until coffers refresh...  by which time the Corda Classic should be avalable... so I dunno what I will do.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #1,677 of 3,070
Quote:
Dude. Looks like you always will have free cash. So please go ahead to get one and let us know whether there is a big improvement. Cheers mate.

biggrin.gif
   Would that it were so.

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #1,678 of 3,070
Hi, a couple of things .. First, if you are looking to use a 9v battery , look for a lithium 9v. With my other portable amp & the 2stepdance (before I started using my 15v setup) I was easily getting at least 2.5 to 3 times the playback time using an Ultralife 9v lithium battery. The capabilities of the 2stepdance increase pretty significantly when you step up to running it at 15v.I believe people are looking at this amp a little too conservatively when they relegate it to use "mostly w/ IEMs". I am enjoying my HE-4s with my 2step & I've been hard pressed to notice any "clipping" at my normal listening volume levels. I have no doubt that I could'nt drive a set of LCD-2 phones as my HE-4s are'nt as efficient. I don't really listen to any popular studio recorded music genres or compressed music files of any type. I don't know how much my musical preferences matter other than the wav files may have something to do with why I'm not encountering the restrictions in playback quality that a lot of others seem to be having. If you are considering using the LCD-2s in a portable situation , why would you not consider also powering the 2stepdance at 15v. The alternative of course is to leave the LCD-2s home 

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #1,679 of 3,070
Quote:
Hi, a couple of things .. First, if you are looking to use a 9v battery , look for a lithium 9v. With my other portable amp & the 2stepdance (before I started using my 15v setup) I was easily getting at least 2.5 to 3 times the playback time using an Ultralife 9v lithium battery. The capabilities of the 2stepdance increase pretty significantly when you step up to running it at 15v.I believe people are looking at this amp a little too conservatively when they relegate it to use "mostly w/ IEMs". I am enjoying my HE-4s with my 2step & I've been hard pressed to notice any "clipping" at my normal listening volume levels. I have no doubt that I could'nt drive a set of LCD-2 phones as my HE-4s are'nt as efficient. I don't really listen to any popular studio recorded music genres or compressed music files of any type. I don't know how much my musical preferences matter other than the wav files may have something to do with why I'm not encountering the restrictions in playback quality that a lot of others seem to be having. If you are considering using the LCD-2s in a portable situation , why would you not consider also powering the 2stepdance at 15v. The alternative of course is to leave the LCD-2s home

Thank God someone finally said something good about the Stepdance. Prior to your arrival, it was nothing but negativity, especially in relation to full size headphones. 
blink.gif

(Glad that you like the Stepdance. Welcome to the club; the membership dues are actually reading the thread.  
wink.gif
)

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #1,680 of 3,070
I like mine with full sized cans also, just didn't drive the HE-4's with enough authority for my liking (compared to P4 and Fi-Quest), it's not a desktop/home amp so I wasn't dissapointed. The HE-4's are a beast to drive period! Now with the HE-500's it does a real good job....

Don't know about others but I really didn't buy it for full sized cans anyway, the fact that it can do that also (with noted exceptions) is a bonus for my ''walk about the house rig''. I bought mine predominently for my ES5's whilst travelling etc and I have to say for this purpose nothing sounds nearly as good as the 2Stepdance.

Oh and all my music is in lossless format also.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back