Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #931 of 3,070

Hey ianmdedium!

Good for you - thanks for joining in the experimentation! 

I still think the XP8000 is a great choice, in terms of ease of use and capacity, especially.  But I'm still bent on keeping the weight down and the voltage a little higher, if possible.

I'm now considering the 12.6-Volt solution - with a fully charged Blue LiPo 11.1-Volt 3-cell 1800 mAh RC battery.

To answer your question, consider this photo from the link provided above (at the HobbyPartz site):

The four-conductor white connector is the balanced charging cable - it's called a JST-XH connector - it is used to connect the battery to a balancing chager, like the Thunder AC6 Charger.  This four-conductor cable will not be used when powering the Stepdance.

The larger, two-conductor cable is called the discharge cable - it's the cable that must be connected to the Stepdance.  The big red connector is called a 4.0 mm (polarized) Banana Connector.  It's also used during charging, so that the charger can monitor the overall voltage of the pack.   

I will have to purchase another 4.0 Bannana Connector, just like the one seen in the photo, solder it to one end of a two-conductor cable that has a Type H Coaxial Power Plug at the other end for the Stepdance.  That connector will have to be soldered, also.

Mike

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #932 of 3,070
Thanks so much Mike for the clear description. Even to a complete imbecile in matters technical like me you made it easy to understand!

I am very much looking forward to your thoughts on this battery, I know I am looking forward to hearing the differences in more power with the XP. I don't think any other portable amp has received this much attention to power supply before.. A testament to how capable it is I think!

Listening last night to my new Version of the ring I am again reminded of how it conveys scale and yet at the same time intimacy.. A remarkable amp!

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #933 of 3,070

Quote:
Hi Racio!

Can you tell us where you found a solderable, right-angled coaxial power connector for the Stepdance?  I'd much rather use that than a stratight connector.

Thanks!

Mike

Hey Mike,

I got the angled tips from a walwart charger of mine, a universal China-made Newstar 5v charger (which I bought for my Millett Hybrid portable headamp) and had a set of extra tips for different jacks. Here are pics of my StepDance with the XP8000...

As you can see there, the size of the tips are the same for both ends of the short cable and connects to the 12v output of the XP8000. I actually bought the wallwart charger and the included tips from a local hardware store  (Ace Hardware) in my area, but unfortunately, I can't seem to find an online store which sells these Newstar charger, much less the tips that came with it. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #934 of 3,070

Hey Mike,

I got the angled tips from a walwart charger of mine, a universal China-made Newstar 5v charger (which I bought for my Millett Hybrid portable headamp) and had a set of extra tips for different jacks. Here are pics of my StepDance with the XP8000...

As you can see there, the size of the tips are the same for both ends of the short cable and connects to the 12v output of the XP8000. I actually bought the wallwart charger and the included tips from a local hardware store  (Ace Hardware) in my area, but unfortunately, I can't seem to find an online store which sells these Newstar charger, much less the tips that came with it. 

That looks wonderful!
I still have yet to hear from energizer about the tips, did you get the full complement of six right angle tips with your xp? I am hoping one of them will fit the stepdance! I don't mind the cable being long as I am going to keep the power supply in my little bag that I store my portable set up in rather than stack it as you have.

Having said that if you ever feel inclined to make a few more of those cables I sure would be interested as I am about as technically minded as a house brick!

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #935 of 3,070

Quote:
Avi, how do you find the DT990/250 SQ in low gain mode compared with high gain?

Well, my ears are not good, but I certainly have not heard any drop off. I have not extensively tested back-and-forth between High and Low. Maybe if I have some time next week, I'll try it and report back.

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #936 of 3,070
Quote:
Well, my ears are not good, but I certainly have not heard any drop off. I have not extensively tested back-and-forth between High and Low. Maybe if I have some time next week, I'll try it and report back.

Great. Having made more comparisons, the key diiference to my ears is an overall more natural balanced sound - it is smoother and more transparent.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #938 of 3,070

Quote:
-snipped-

That looks wonderful!
I still have yet to hear from energizer about the tips, did you get the full complement of six right angle tips with your xp? I am hoping one of them will fit the stepdance! I don't mind the cable being long as I am going to keep the power supply in my little bag that I store my portable set up in rather than stack it as you have.

Having said that if you ever feel inclined to make a few more of those cables I sure would be interested as I am about as technically minded as a house brick!

Thanks! I'll see if I could still find extra NewStar tips, but mind you guys, I just realized that using these DIY cables would void your warranty. Personally, this doesn't bother me much since I don't reckon the warranty will be recognized by our local Energizer importer/distributor.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #941 of 3,070
I am in as well!

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #943 of 3,070
Does anyone know how the mini to mini is that comes with the stepdance? 

I would think that in a rig like:

ipod touch -> Cypherlabs solo -> stepdance -> w1000x

I would need for all 3 cables used in this setup to be of top quality so I don't get any degradation?

Thinking of buying the interconnect cables for $200 that I can order with the solos, but if the stepdance's mini-mini is adequate, I might as well NOT, and save my $200 and look for a good usb dock :)

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #944 of 3,070

Quote:
Does anyone know how the mini to mini is that comes with the stepdance? 

I would think that in a rig like:

ipod touch -> Cypherlabs solo -> stepdance -> w1000x

I would need for all 3 cables used in this setup to be of top quality so I don't get any degradation?

Thinking of buying the interconnect cables for $200 that I can order with the solos, but if the stepdance's mini-mini is adequate, I might as well NOT, and save my $200 and look for a good usb dock :)

I have been thinking the same thing myself. Eventually I will get the two cables from ALO but these things have to be done in steps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back