Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #511 of 3,070

Quote:
ianmedium,
Your selection is great, but it is a Canadian product, and I can't get it shipped to the states.  Everyone, please help me.  I am serious.  Anyone.  Even when I google  the type of adapter I need with the plug size, it only comes up with this thread.  It is like the wall plug doesn't exist.  I don't want to go to Radio Shack and waste my time.  Can anyone tell me a specific power adapter they found on ebay or amazon that will be regulated, with the correct plug 1.3 whatever, that will work?  I don't want to babysit the Stepdance and put in recharged batteries every six hours just to burn it in.

Just did a search with Radio Shack. I think this is the same!
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3875402&filterName=Type&filterValue=12V+or+less#tabsetBasic

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #512 of 3,070

I just went to wal-mart and bought a universal UL regulated wal wart, it has various tip sizes to choose from which it has the size needed to fit the Stepdance. It runs from 3v to 12v at 600ma. I run it on the 12v selection and It works perfet and cost me about 15 bucks or maybe it was 20, anyway thats where i got mine and been using it now for a week and it works perfect. Hope that helps.
Quote:
ianmedium,
Your selection is great, but it is a Canadian product, and I can't get it shipped to the states.  Everyone, please help me.  I am serious.  Anyone.  Even when I google  the type of adapter I need with the plug size, it only comes up with this thread.  It is like the wall plug doesn't exist.  I don't want to go to Radio Shack and waste my time.  Can anyone tell me a specific power adapter they found on ebay or amazon that will be regulated, with the correct plug 1.3 whatever, that will work?  I don't want to babysit the Stepdance and put in recharged batteries every six hours just to burn it in.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #513 of 3,070

I bought the cd long time ago, perhaps 8 years ago, in the days of the quest for hi fidelity. You can do a search in google to check it out. Its from Sheffield Lab.
Quote:
I may want to try that...At about the same time the Stepdance should arrive, my re-modded ipod (had a harddrive upgrade and the mother board disintegrated...long story) will be here too.  Probably the imod internals will need burnt in as much as the Stepdance.  Losing the ipod for a month has be revealing.  Not having it is like not having music at all.  Were can that disc be purchased?

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #514 of 3,070

Quote:
ASounds to me like the battery is not making contact properly - maybe the door isn't shut tight?

An update on the "shutdown" Stepdance:

There was no warning, the blue LED just faded. Initially I thought it was the battery, then i tried 3 other fully charged iPowerUS 9V520aAh. Still no luck. Checked battery contacts, took out chassis w the provided allen-wrench. Still would not turn on. Tried it 8 hours later. Nothing. My setting was on "high current", "low gain", though this should not make a difference.

No burnt smell nor heat generated before nor after it shutdown.

So my layman conclusion would be: (a) Just bad luck, unless others have experienced similar problems (?), or (b) could it be the iMod? I did have the correct LOD cables.....

The dealer was kind enough to exchange it for a new unit, but I'm a bit hesitant to try it with the iMod, at least until I hear from Jan what he thinks the possible problems may be....

Quote:
You need to tell us a bit more than just "decided to shutdown" for us to have a clue on what might be a problem.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #515 of 3,070

Quote:
The dealer was kind enough to exchange it for a new unit, but I'm a bit hesitant to try it with the iMod, at least until I hear from Jan what he thinks the possible problems may be....

Find yourself a multimeter and measure the voltage on the LOD (left and right channel vs. ground). they should be either zero volt or dropping close to zero volt in a short while. If you find any constant voltage (i.e.1.4V, 0.9V or something) then you should be worry.

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #516 of 3,070
Like ClieOS said... words of wisdom.

It would be a shame not to use the iMod and the Stepdance together. That's a killer combination. If your LOD has caps that are doing their job neutralizing the DC offset voltage, the problem is not the iMod.

(It may just have been a faulty wire or contact in the unit that you returned...)

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #519 of 3,070
Anyone tried the Stepdance with a JH16? I tried it and it's way too loud for me even with everything set to low. It really couldn't stay in my ears for more than 1 second.

Any ideas as to how i might be able to mitigate this problem? Would really like to listen to the Stepdance, i'm looking to upgrade my portable amp system, currently using an RSA Predator

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #520 of 3,070

Quote:
Anyone tried the Stepdance with a JH16? I tried it and it's way too loud for me even with everything set to low. It really couldn't stay in my ears for more than 1 second.

Any ideas as to how i might be able to mitigate this problem? Would really like to listen to the Stepdance, i'm looking to upgrade my portable amp system, currently using an RSA Predator

is it on low gain?

and as far as other upgrade options, i know youd have plenty of volume to use with the protector balanced on low gain

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #521 of 3,070
Guys, is it possible for some of you to give me an idea of which DAC you are using with the StepDance, particularly those who have several sources listed in their sig ?

I will receive my Streamer II this week, and will initially be using it with the D4 in the hope of moving up to something weightier in the New Year. The 6Moons pics give you an idea of just how simple this little DAC is, making it perfect for a simple amp like the StepDance.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hrt3/streamer2.html

estreeter

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #522 of 3,070
Beside setting gain to low, you might also want to try to set the current mode to low as well.

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #523 of 3,070

Quote:

I am using it with my JH16pro... with the low gain and lowest volume possible, it is possible to listen to some music.

Heard from Cooperpwc that you can send back the stepdance to change to a lower gain. Should resolve this issue.

For me, besides the volume being too loud, I cannot tell if it existed when linked to line-out of my Hifiman HM-801 comparing to the headphone out directly to my JH16. Did a blind test but can't tell the difference. This is after around 150-200hrs burning in of the stepdance.

So I am going ampless....

Nov 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #524 of 3,070
Yep, you won't notice a lot of difference between straight from HM801 vs Stepdance for a relatively easy to drive IEM.

Nov 29, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #525 of 3,070
ClieOS, totally OT, but are you able to find hi-fi in Malaysia or do you visit places like The Adelphi when you want to audition kit ?

I found KL really frustrating to navigate, soon realising that I wasnt going to see much more than Bukit Bintang and the road back to KLCC. Several of the places that had signs for 'Denon' etc in Georgetown had little more than cheap Chinese AV receivers inside the shop - just when I had given up, I walked out of my hotel in Ipoh and found a bona-fide mid-fi (Marantz, Denon, Onkyo etc) shop nestled among the restaurants and hair dressing salons. I could happily move to Ipoh tomorrow - just need those Powerball numbers  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back