Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #257 of 3,070
Can anyone speak to this question:  How would the Stepdance compare to my TTVJ millett hybrid portable?  I'm guessing stronger, tighter bass and bit more clinical sounding in the upper registers.  Anyone?

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #258 of 3,070

Quote:
Can anyone speak to this question:  How would the Stepdance compare to my TTVJ millett hybrid portable?  I'm guessing stronger, tighter bass and bit more clinical sounding in the upper registers.  Anyone?

I've not compared them directly since I sold my TTVJ last December, but the Millett was a warm and tubey amp with good power and weight, but with less detail than some of my other amps that I owned at the time (D10, P-51, 3MOVE).  In comparing the Stepdance prototype to some of these above amps that I still own, I would say the Stepdance is more detailed and less tubey than a TTVJ portable millett hybrid, yet still warm and powerful.  But clinical is not a description I would use to describe the Stepdance, although it is more aggressive than the TTVJ millett was it's not overly so.

Oct 6, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #260 of 3,070

Quote:
I've not compared them directly since I sold my TTVJ last December, but the Millett was a warm and tubey amp with good power and weight, but with less detail than some of my other amps that I owned at the time (D10, P-51, 3MOVE).  In comparing the Stepdance prototype to some of these above amps that I still own, I would say the Stepdance is more detailed and less tubey than a TTVJ portable millett hybrid, yet still warm and powerful.  But clinical is not a description I would use to describe the Stepdance, although it is more aggressive than the TTVJ millett was it's not overly so.

Right!  I remember how you talked about enjoying the TTVJ, one of the reasons I picked it up in the first place.  Having used the first Meier Move before, I did prefer the TTVJ because of the extra warmth and the punch.  I don't think I would ever sell it, but the idea of extra power and presence has me intrigued enough to get a Stepdance.  I'm hoping it'll come closer to the power and weight I get plugged into my stereo at home.

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #261 of 3,070
i really think I want to order this amp
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 6, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #262 of 3,070

Quote:
i really think I want to order this amp
tongue_smile.gif

I know I am going to!
It is my Birthday next month so this is going to be my present to myself!

Oct 7, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #265 of 3,070

Quote:
I went through the meier audio site and didn't see any info about how to buy a stepdance.  What am I missing here?

Yeh, there's no actual online order page. Just contact Jan directly and he'll set you up.

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #266 of 3,070
I have been asked for some time for a comparison of the Meier Headsix and Stepdance when used with the Westone ES5. My Stepdance was with Jan for a while because I wanted the low gain volume lowered. (It's just a 6 db difference but I find it useful with some of my music since the ES5 is very sensitive.) That allowed me some quality time with the iMod+Headsix+ES5 combo. Now the Stepdance is back and I am in a position to compare.

First off, the Headsix is a fine little amp with the ES5. It has good bass (one of its real strengths) and throws out a wide soundstage. I could be very happy staying with the Headsix+ES5 combination.

The one issue that I had is that the Headsix pot only gets into its absolute sweetest zone approaching 9:00. This is too loud for some of my music with the sensitive ES5 IEMs. This is a problem that the Headsix shares with many portable amps - hence the growing popularity of digitally controlled attenuators. I have Rockbox on my iMod, which allows for lowering of the line out level where desired, so that issue with the Headsix was addressed. Still one ideally does not mess with the bit stream of a line out. The Stepdance (especially with the gain lowered) has made that completely unnecessary. I have full control from its stepped attenuator (which is a lovely feature; channels are perfectly balanced at every volume level).

As good as the Headsix is with the ES5s, the Stepdance is that much better. By better, I mean primarily that it is weightier. It is surprising how well the ES5 responds to the extra current. The bass digs deep and grips. The overall sound through the mids is fuller. These are the differences that are obvious. More subtle is that the soundstage is more 3-dimensional and the overall transparency improved. The SQ of the iMod+Stepdance+ES5 is simply fantastic. Since I actually like the form factor of the Stepdance - and I love the attenuator - for me the upgrade is a no brainer. (It also doesn't hurt that the Stepdance does a pretty impressive job with my 600 ohm DT880s - extremely impressive for a portable. The Headsix cannot really compete in that realm.)

Again, I could be happy using either amp with the ES5 but the Stepdance is a material and worthy step up. Of course, it is bigger, more expensive and consumes batteries at a more rapid pace. However, there is no magic. As they say, 'Ya gets whats ya pay for.'

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #267 of 3,070

Quote:
I have been asked for some time for a comparison of the Meier Headsix and Stepdance when used with the Westone ES5. My Stepdance was with Jan for a while because I wanted the low gain volume lowered. (It's just a 6 db difference but I find it useful with some of my music since the ES5 is very sensitive.) That allowed me some quality time with the iMod+Headsix+ES5 combo. Now the Stepdance is back and I am in a position to compare.

First off, the Headsix is a fine little amp with the ES5. It has good bass (one of its real strengths) and throws out a wide soundstage. I could be very happy staying with the Headsix+ES5 combination.

The one issue that I had is that the Headsix pot only gets into its absolute sweetest zone approaching 9:00. This is too loud for some of my music with the sensitive ES5 IEMs. This is a problem that the Headsix shares with many portable amps - hence the growing popularity of digitally controlled attenuators. I have Rockbox on my iMod, which allows for lowering of the line out level where desired, so that issue with the Headsix was addressed. Still one ideally does not mess with the bit stream of a line out. The Stepdance (especially with the gain lowered) has made that completely unnecessary. I have full control from its stepped attenuator (which is a lovely feature; channels are perfectly balanced at every volume level).

As good as the Headsix is with the ES5s, the Stepdance is that much better. By better, I mean primarily that it is weightier. It is surprising how well the ES5 responds to the extra current. The bass digs deep and grips. The overall sound through the mids is fuller. These are the differences that are obvious. More subtle is that the soundstage is more 3-dimensional and the overall transparency improved. The SQ of the iMod+Stepdance+ES5 is simply fantastic. Since I actually like the form factor of the Stepdance - and I love the attenuator - for me the upgrade is a no brainer. (It also doesn't hurt that the Stepdance does a pretty impressive job with my 600 ohm DT880s - extremely impressive for a portable. The Headsix cannot really compete in that realm.)

Again, I could be happy using either amp with the ES5 but the Stepdance is a material and worthy step up. Of course, it is bigger, more expensive and consumes batteries at a more rapid pace. However, there is no magic. As they say, 'Ya gets whats ya pay for.'

Thank you so much for this excellent review, there seem to be precious few of the stepdance, I assume as it is so new. Your review only serves to harden my resolve in purchasing one this month.

I wonder, I have the standard latest generation ipod classic. I am very happy with the player especially with the PA2V2 and etymotic ER4s that I have, Do you think my source is good enough to be used with this amp?
I ask as some say it is flat and lifeless (I can compare it to both COWON and Sony and must say I do not find it to be so in my experience but it is a niggling thought in my head!)

What I have noticed with Garys amp, as good as it is for the price, is that I do have to turn the volume up to get more feeling and resolve with music, reading your review it seems the stepdance solves this problem (not a problem when one thinks Garys amp is $300 less in cost!)

I ould have mucked around in the lower end amps but thinking on it it made more sense to me to just commit to the higher price and be done once and for all with an amp!

By the way, I use lossless and a silvercab pro LOD cable

I am wondering as well if this amp will work well with my AKGK701'S?

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #268 of 3,070
ianmedium, I did not love the Classic as a source. There is plenty of detail but to my ears it lacked body. On the other hand, lots of people on here are using the Classic as a source with good portable amps so YMMV.

I have no experience with the K701s.

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #269 of 3,070

Quote:
ianmedium, I did not love the Classic as a source. There is plenty of detail but to my ears it lacked body. On the other hand, lots of people on here are using the Classic as a source with good portable amps so YMMV.

I have no experience with the K701s.

Thanks for that Cooper, I have a feeling the amp will add rather than detract from the pleasure of quality of music.

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #270 of 3,070

Quote:
Thanks for that Cooper, I have a feeling the amp will add rather than detract from the pleasure of quality of music.

indeed it will, i use a classic as my source for much of my listening, since it is one of the only dap's that i can take into my work. ever since i sold my protector in preparation for the JH3A, i have missed it quite a bit, the HP out of the classic just cant compare with the LO into a good amp. now im sure that a better source would be better still, but the classic does benefit from an amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back