Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #181 of 3,070
Seems like you received your pico slim already. I can't wait for a shoot out between your portable amps.
regular_smile .gif

Quote:
Yes, the Stepdance is an absolutely fantastic amp.  I used it with my LCD-2 when I don't want to move around and it does an admirable job.  Of course, it does well with my IEMs.

On the battery front...the 9.6V batteries are not worth it IMO as they don't last all that long vs. the higher mAh batteries.  The only difference is the volume needs to be a little louder with the lower V, higher mAh batteries to acheive the same spl.

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #182 of 3,070
Sep 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #183 of 3,070

Quote:
Yes, the Stepdance is an absolutely fantastic amp.  I used it with my LCD-2 when I don't want to move around and it does an admirable job.  Of course, it does well with my IEMs.

On the battery front...the 9.6V batteries are not worth it IMO as they don't last all that long vs. the higher mAh batteries.  The only difference is the volume needs to be a little louder with the lower V, higher mAh batteries to acheive the same spl.

Thanks Joe, I'm glad I didn't bother investing in the 9.6V batteries (I was tempted though)   This may seem a silly question but, since the Stepdance does not charge batteries, should the battery be removed when using a transformer (wall wart) ?

Oh and by the way, I am astounded at how well the Stepdance pushes my LCD-2. The LCD-2 is far from portable but sometimes it's just easier to plug into the Stepdance instead of my home system. The combo does not leave feeling like I need more juice but the battery drains really quick (as expected)

Sep 17, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #184 of 3,070
Quote:
This may seem a silly question but, since the Stepdance does not charge batteries, should the battery be removed when using a transformer (wall wart) ?

Not necessary at all. In fact, Jan recommends leaving a battery in as it put pressure on the battery door to hold it securely in place.
(Edit: Joe is right. My assumption is that your walwart is delivering more power than the battery, for example 12 volt regulated which will be a popular choice with the Stepdance.)

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #185 of 3,070
Has anyone tried powering akg K701's or 702's with the Stepdance, and if so, does it do a good job (for a portable)?  I currently have a Corda Move, and it does a decent job (to a point) but it seems to be lacking a bit when it comes to loud dynamic swings.  Anyway, if anyone has experience with the Stepdance and the K701/2 I'd greatly appreciate any insights on how well they perform together.

--Eric

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #186 of 3,070

Quote:
Seems like you received your pico slim already. I can't wait for a shoot out between your portable amps.
regular_smile%20.gif

Nope, still don't have the amp, just a tracking number.  The amp hasn't even been handed off to the post office yet.  I question Justin's grasp of the concept of time as he said they would start shipping in a week about 3 weeks ago now.

Quote:
Thanks Joe, I'm glad I didn't bother investing in the 9.6V batteries (I was tempted though)   This may seem a silly question but, since the Stepdance does not charge batteries, should the battery be removed when using a transformer (wall wart) ?

Oh and by the way, I am astounded at how well the Stepdance pushes my LCD-2. The LCD-2 is far from portable but sometimes it's just easier to plug into the Stepdance instead of my home system. The combo does not leave feeling like I need more juice but the battery drains really quick (as expected)

As long as your wall power is several V higher than the battery voltage, the amp will not drain the battery while plugged into the wall.  So, yes, you can leave the battery in.  It is actually recommended per Jan because it holds the battery cover in place!

And with my 600 mAh battery (yes, I am still using that) I get a full day with the LCD-2!

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #187 of 3,070

Quote:
And with my 600 mAh battery (yes, I am still using that) I get a full day with the LCD-2!

Is the 600 mAh battery a lithium polymer battery? I was looking at them. They require a special charger. I guess that is next on my list. Ordered a wall wart today thanks to the link from violeta88 .  Can't believe you still don't have the Slim. If ever I was happy to cancel an order, sthat was it. I was in the first 250 lifetime battery replacement slot like you as well !! lol Oh well

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #188 of 3,070
Yes, the 600 mAh battery is a lith ion and requires a special charger because it seems to reverse charge.  My charger from iPower caused the polarity to be reversed (although I didn't try it before I charged it) and the 520 mAh battery seems to last quite a while also.  And yes, the other amp...I will reserve any more comments until later...

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #189 of 3,070

Quote:
Has anyone tried powering akg K701's or 702's with the Stepdance, and if so, does it do a good job (for a portable)?  I currently have a Corda Move, and it does a decent job (to a point) but it seems to be lacking a bit when it comes to loud dynamic swings.  Anyway, if anyone has experience with the Stepdance and the K701/2 I'd greatly appreciate any insights on how well they perform together.

--Eric

Hey Eric, 

You'll have to forgive me for being a bit vague in the way I explain my experience with the Stepdance and 702s, I'm pretty new to the audiophile world, so not too sure about terminology.

I also pair my 702s with the MOVE and I agree that it does a decent job at driving the 702s. However, since pairing the Stepdance with the 702s, I have felt that everything is a lot 'cleaner'. The stepdance, I feel, drives the 702s a bit better. I really hate to just simply say that I think the Stepdance pairs well with the 702s and does a better job than the Move without any proper justification or explanation, but that's what my ears seems to feel when I compare the two together.

Ultimately, this is a very subjective point of view with very little backing so I'm not sure if this helps at all
frown.gif

Sep 18, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #190 of 3,070

Quote:
Hey Eric, 

You'll have to forgive me for being a bit vague in the way I explain my experience with the Stepdance and 702s, I'm pretty new to the audiophile world, so not too sure about terminology.

I also pair my 702s with the MOVE and I agree that it does a decent job at driving the 702s. However, since pairing the Stepdance with the 702s, I have felt that everything is a lot 'cleaner'. The stepdance, I feel, drives the 702s a bit better. I really hate to just simply say that I think the Stepdance pairs well with the 702s and does a better job than the Move without any proper justification or explanation, but that's what my ears seems to feel when I compare the two together.

Ultimately, this is a very subjective point of view with very little backing so I'm not sure if this helps at all
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//frown.gif" title="
frown.gif
" width="" />

That is the type of explanation I was looking for, as the Move is lacking in clarity and distorts at higher volumes.  If the Stepdance drives the K701/2 at the same volumes but cleaner, than clearly it will be what I am looking for, and does power the K701/2 better than the Move.  Audio is often a subjective point of view, and since I have done the technical research I needed to verify it would power the K701/2, I was looking for subjective observations (which you provided).  Thanks yeemanz!!

--Eric

Sep 19, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #192 of 3,070

Quote:
Would iPhone4 -> Stepdance -> JH5 be a good set up or would I also need a portable DAC?

If you use a LOD, you should be fine.  The iPhone is already decoding the material with it's internal DAC from either the headphone out or a line out signal.

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #194 of 3,070

Quote:
That is the type of explanation I was looking for, as the Move is lacking in clarity and distorts at higher volumes.  If the Stepdance drives the K701/2 at the same volumes but cleaner, than clearly it will be what I am looking for, and does power the K701/2 better than the Move.  Audio is often a subjective point of view, and since I have done the technical research I needed to verify it would power the K701/2, I was looking for subjective observations (which you provided).  Thanks yeemanz!!

--Eric

No worries Eric, forgot to mention my setup before, probably doesn't matter though: ipod Touch 4th gen > DHC Lod > Stepdance/Move > 702s

Quote:
Anyone knows of any pouches for the Stepdance ?
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />

I'd be interested in finding something nice to put the stepdance into as well. Currently using my really old sony MD pouch. Fits my setup nicely... except the Lod cable sticks out
frown.gif
lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back