Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #63 of 3,070
I ordered this:
Charger: iPower charger
520 mAh 8.4V
230 mAh 9.6V - Out of stock, but they will send it when they get it in with no additional shipping fees.  I guess I will take my chances!

Pro-sound seems to have great service!

I also ordered this, which says it requires the specified charger.  They show the specs and from what I can tell, the iPower charger will work with it.
600 mAh 7.4V

Oh, and the Stepdance has absolutely fantastic control of the bass region of the spectrum, which cleans up everything else.  Use with cheap dynamic driver IEMs/earbuds makes them sound like they should cost waaaaay more!

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #64 of 3,070

Quote:

Oh, and the Stepdance has absolutely fantastic control of the bass region of the spectrum, which cleans up everything else.  Use with cheap dynamic driver IEMs/earbuds makes them sound like they should cost waaaaay more!

You're killing me man.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #65 of 3,070

Quote:
You're killing me man.

Looking at your IEMs, personally, I thought the MD bass was way too sloppy for me, and the Copper, while better was still too loose compared to the SM3.  I think the Stepdance would excel with those dynamics and it might make the MD truly shine!

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #66 of 3,070

Quote:
Looking at your IEMs, personally, I thought the MD bass was way too sloppy for me, and the Copper, while better was still too loose compared to the SM3.  I think the Stepdance would excel with those dynamics and it might make the MD truly shine!

Well tips have a lot to do w/ that as well.  I know my current MD's don't sound like my first set which were really loose and bloated.  The SM3 just didn't extend enough for me among other things.  That's another story.  I was more curious in how the Stepdance compares to the Arrow since mine is on its way as we speak.  

Sep 1, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #67 of 3,070
I haven't spent much time A/Bing the two yet, but uh, you don't want to know!  Well, I will just simplify it like this:

Price: Arrow wins
Ergonomics: Arrow wins
Options: Arrow wins
Sound: Stepdance wins

The Arrow is a very good amp, but the sound that comes out of the Stepdance...wow!  Does the Stepdance sound make up for the Arrow winning the other places?  That is for you to decide.  If I EVER get my Pico Slim, I may have a 3 way shootout.  Well, OK, a 3 way mini-review :)

And sorry to hear you didn't get bass extension from the SM3, they can pound my ears with deep bass and are as extended as anything I have heard.  I did try just about every tip I could with the MDs, so I don't know what to say there. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #68 of 3,070
Too bad Singapore doesn't have alot of choices for 9v rechargeable batteries . Only have Energizer , Maha ( which are currently out of stock ) and Varta . There are others but i don't really trust them as their " branded " . Received the Stepdance yesterday and can't bring them out with me as i've no block batteries . Shall wait till they restock the Maha . :frowning2:

Quote:
I ordered this:
Charger: iPower charger
520 mAh 8.4V
230 mAh 9.6V - Out of stock, but they will send it when they get it in with no additional shipping fees.  I guess I will take my chances!

Pro-sound seems to have great service!

I also ordered this, which says it requires the specified charger.  They show the specs and from what I can tell, the iPower charger will work with it.
600 mAh 7.4V

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #69 of 3,070

Quote:
Too bad Singapore doesn't have alot of choices for 9v rechargeable batteries . Only have Energizer , Maha ( which are currently out of stock ) and Varta . There are others but i don't really trust them as their " branded " . Received the Stepdance yesterday and can't bring them out with me as i've no block batteries . Shall wait till they restock the Maha . :frowning2:

I saw a china made 9V battery charger (no brand), not sure it works for any 9V. Just 9 sing dollars.

Sep 2, 2010 at 6:00 AM Post #72 of 3,070
Mine is here and burning in. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #73 of 3,070
Some initial thoughts:

The volume control is remarkably smooth. The 1.5 db steps are just right. It feels continuous in use (to my ears anyway). As expected it is clean and balanced at all volumes levels. The volume control is so smooth that it might be easily changed unintentially so some care will be necessary for portable use. Some people will go portable but for me this is a transportable amp. It will be perfect for my home/coffee shop use.

Gain is easy to change. I just switched from high to low as I moved from the Beyer DT880/600s to my Sony D77 Eggos. There are two tiny switches just inside the battery compartment.

I am already impressed by how deeply it drives the bass on the DT880/600s. From memory, the 3Move that I tried with 250 ohm DT990s did not do as good a job of driving those cans to their capacity (and the 3Move was pretty impressive).

That's it for now. This amp needs burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back