Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #2,821 of 3,070
Dear Jan,

Do you still have the Aluminium case of Stepdance (Earliest model)? Mine is really worn out.

Thanks

Jan 8, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #2,823 of 3,070
Hi Jan Meier, I'm still enjoying the Quickstep so much. Am wondering there is no more new development on better products? I really wish if you can come out something like a much smaller Quickstep with the same performance.

Jan 8, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #2,824 of 3,070
Hi Jan Meier, I'm still enjoying the Quickstep so much. Am wondering there is no more new development on better products? I really wish if you can come out something like a much smaller Quickstep with the same performance.

A slimmer QuickStep with Li-ion battery will be my wish.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #2,825 of 3,070
He probably could, but by doing away with those big electrolytics and compromising on sound.  No, thanks.

Jan 8, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #2,826 of 3,070
  He probably could, but by doing away with those big electrolytics and compromising on sound.  No, thanks.

Not necessarily. It will definitely be a much more complex design, but it doesn't mean it will compromise SQ.

Jan 9, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #2,827 of 3,070
Dear friends,

Smaller will compromise sound!

One of the main reasons that the QUICKSTEP sounds so good, is the use of a 9V battery-supply (internally the amp has both a +9V and a -9V supply line). The extra voltage (normal Li-Ion batteries do have 3.4 only) really helps. However, as a result (and as a result of the active-balanced-ground-concept) energy demand is also quite high. Therefore the QUICKSTEP has such a big block-battery.

For those who like it to be rechargeable and need crossfeed. Currently I'm working on a portable DAC/amp that will have both.

Cheers

Jan

Jan 9, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #2,829 of 3,070
Dear friends,

For those who like it to be rechargeable and need crossfeed. Currently I'm working on a portable DAC/amp that will have both.

Cheers

Jan

Now we are talking certainly interesting. I will be looking forward to that product from now on. Almost can't wait now. :)

Jan 9, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #2,830 of 3,070
Dear friends,

Smaller will compromise sound!

One of the main reasons that the QUICKSTEP sounds so good, is the use of a 9V battery-supply (internally the amp has both a +9V and a -9V supply line). The extra voltage (normal Li-Ion batteries do have 3.4 only) really helps. However, as a result (and as a result of the active-balanced-ground-concept) energy demand is also quite high. Therefore the QUICKSTEP has such a big block-battery.

Cheers

Jan

Good news Jan.

Looking forward to its launch!

Jan 10, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #2,833 of 3,070
popcorn.gif

Jan 10, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #2,834 of 3,070
  +1  !

Let's be honest Zilch, are you more excited about the new dac/amp or more excited to fidget around building a new transportable suitcase* rig?
tongue.gif

*edit 1: duffle bag? camera bag? gator box? sling bag? man bag? murse?

**edit 2: Satchel! The best word to use is satchel.

Jan 10, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #2,835 of 3,070
LOL I'm so busted!

My parents wouldn't buy me the James Bond Attache Case I so desperately wanted when I was little...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-James-Bond-007-ATTACHE-CASE-Gun-ORIGINAL-BOX-Multiple-Products-60s-NO-TAX-/261710430702

If only they had bought hundreds of them...

The "Q" within me has been building them ever since - for camera gear, astronomy gear, audio gear, amateur radio gear and yes, 007 gear. :rolleyes: I have attaches for every occasion. :p

Perhaps my favorite, but most impractical, was an electricity-stealing attache that had an array of 12 huge 6-cell RC LiPO batteries and three balanced chargers complete with two cooling fans in the bottom - when standing upright (on its hinges) - one fan inhaling, the other exhaling. And it had a retractable power cord behind a sliding hatch, also on the bottom. It weighed 53 lbs.! I took it to work only once, trying to carry it without revealing its mass, then setting it under my desk, where I later plugged in while no one was looking. It sucked amps, all day long. I felt so bad for being a thief, I never used it again and eventually cannibalized it. :p I'm lucky I didn't burn the building down. The batteries alone had cost me $1200. I managed to sell them for about 70 cents on the dollar to an RC hobbyist friend who was initially tempted to buy the whole attache. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back