Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #2,687 of 3,070
I got the Quickstep about a week back, been burning it in since then. Just listened to it for few minutes when it first came in, highs sounded grainy. Kept it on continuous play for a week, Listened now after around 150+ hrs of burn in. Source was Fiio X3 + Beyer Dt770 32 ohm Anniversary Ed / Senn HD 25 Aluminium Anniv Ed / Denon D5000.

Its a wire with gain, it will amplify your source, nothing added nothing subtracted (at least nothing negative), Beautiful. Maybe  the highs are bit smoother, maybe bass is a bit punchier,maybe sound stage is a bit wider or maybe its placebo but i prefer to listen with Qucikstep in the chain now, although the X3 drives these HP's quite well on its own.

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #2,688 of 3,070
Got the QuickStep for a few days, and while I have not been listening to it extensively, I must say the initial impressions are very good.  The unit I bought was a used model, and I use it with a DIYmod iPod 4G with a modded Fostex T50RP.

I had a few portable amps in the past, and two of them that are in the same price range as the Quickstep are ALO Rx MKII and the RSA SR-71a

The quickstep is very neutral across the board, the bass hits pretty hard, but it's clean bass.  It's not as warm as the SR-71a, but I felt the bass hits harder.

Of the three, the SR-71a sounds the most "tubey", while the RxMKII sounds the most "opamp", if you know what I mean.

I would personally say that the Rx MKII doesn't seem to be as good as the other two in general, the mids are just too recessed for my tastes.  But the SR-71a and the Quickstep really depends on preferences.  So far, I am really enjoying the QuickStep, and really has no desire to go back to either of the two other amps.

I think I am set.

Jan 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #2,689 of 3,070
My 2stepdance arrived today. I must say that im very satisfied with its musicality and transparency with re272s.
Couldnt be more happy with the SQ.Its really not adding any coloration to sound Like that a lot 
L3000.gif

lets see after 200 hours..
setup:
clip+>stock mini to mini>2stepdance>re272 (still waiting for the twagv2 cable..)

Jan 14, 2014 at 4:53 PM Post #2,692 of 3,070
Jan 14, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2,693 of 3,070
  Hi,

anyone used batteries from this site? (or this type?)

http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/products/rechargeable-batteries/017-powerex-230-mah96v--pp3-nimh-rechargeable-battery
http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/products/rechargeable-batteries/018-powerex-300-mah-9volt-pp3-rechargeable-battery

Jan told me that some batteries might be bigger than others and might not fit!!

Any link for batteries I can get in the UK?

I haven't used those, but I do use the products shown below - and the batteries fit inside the Stepdance - if you can find a source for your location.  Notice that they are rated 520 mAh, which translates to longer play times, between charge cycles.

http://www.ipowerus.com/Products/DC9V_Charger/DC9V_FS_Charger.htm

http://www.ipowerus.com/Products/DC9V520pro/DC9V520pro.htm

Specifications on that page show the following dimensions for this iPowerUS battery, which fits inside the Stepdance just fine:  47.5 * 25.5 * 16.4mm

And they also reveal that the actual voltage is not 9V for this battery, but rather 8.4V, at best - which I've measured with a voltmeter when I first got them.

So now, the question is:  What are the dimensions of the Powerex 9V and 9.6V batteries?    (I can't find this information online.)

But...  The parent company, Maha is my favorite maker of NiMh chargers.  They're stuff is really well made, and I'd be willing to bet that their Powerex batteries will not only fit inside the Stepdance, but will also deliver exactly the 9V and 9.6V specs claimed.

If it were me, however - and I know how the Stepdance family of amps can sound better with higher supply voltages - If the goal is to avoid using an external battery pack, to keep the package small and light, I would get 8.4V batteries that have more mAh of play time, rather than 9V or 9.6V batteries that provide more voltage with a penalty of play time.  The difference in what you will hear in your headphones at 9.6V vs. 8.4V is negligible, if even detectable.  Maybe with really inefficient headphones you'd be able to appreciate the 9.6V batteries vs. the 8.4V.

So, I would recommend that if you want to stick with Maha, get at least two of the 9V instead of the 9.6V, so that one can be on the charger while using the other.

Again, I don't have much concern that the Maha dimensions will pose any problem for you and everything they make is good stuff, in my experience.

Off-topic:  I LOVE their C9000 AA/AAA charger - http://www.mahaenergy.co.uk/products/battery-chargers/009-maha-c9000-wizard-one-intelligent-charger--analyser

mh-c9000-lg.jpg

Mike

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #2,694 of 3,070
After selling my Meier Concerto and HD800 I have gone 100% portable. The Beyerdynamic T5p together with ODAC+Quickstep is now my main rig. I save a lot of space and the sound is still more than satisfying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #2,695 of 3,070
After selling my Meier Concerto and HD800 I have gone 100% portable. The Beyerdynamic T5p together with ODAC+Quickstep is now my main rig. I save a lot of space and the sound is still more than satisfying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds good. But if you want to be portable and cool, you have to get rid of that obnoxious spam Tapatalk signature.

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #2,698 of 3,070

Sounds good. But if you want to be portable and cool, you have to get rid of that obnoxious spam Tapatalk signature.

Thanks for reminding me so kindly. And cool is what I have always wanted to be - but never really succeeded in becoming - so if that is all it takes then I might as well get rid of it sooner or later. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back