Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #856 of 3,070
I am so glad your enjoying it, as the hours pass the sound gets even better! I am also happy there is another 5000 user who thinks the same way I do on the synergy of both!

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #857 of 3,070
Sorry if this question has been asked already but I can't find it somehow in the forums: How is the stepdance going to perform with JH16 Pro vs the RSA SR71B with Balanced TWAG Cables. I appreciate your comments on the SQ differences between the amps.

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #858 of 3,070

A follow-up to this earlier post:

Quote:
[snip]

...if anyone concludes that they really like the difference in sound quality offered by the Stepdance when operating at higher voltages, this is about the best (lightweight, affordable, and safe) portable solution I've found to date for operating near the 15-volt limit:  The Blue LiPo 4-Cell 1000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C LiPoly Battery and a proper charger to go with it.  These 14.8-Volt 1000-mAh LiPo batteries cost only $9.70 each (less than half the price of the 8.4-Volt iPowerUs internal batteries I'm currently using) and they're small enough (at 74x35x23mm) to fit into a small camera case along with the Stepdance and your DAP of choice. They will have none of the regulation and potential AC line noise problems associated with the PSU's discussed above, and they contain a chip that prevents them from being charged to voltages higher than 14.8 Volts - perfect for pushing the Stepdance to its limits.  And if you're willing to carry larger, heavier, 14.8V LipP packs that work with the same charger, consider this 1800 mAh pack, or this 5000 mAh pack.

As with the Tripp-Lite PSU, if I eventually splurge for a 14.8-volt LiPo rig, I'll share my findings.

Mike

I have really enjoyed the improvement in dynamic range and overall punch had when using the Stepdance with a 13.8-Volt PSU made by Tripp-Lite (that plugs into 120-Volt AC) vs. using a rechargeable 8.4-Volt LiPo battery internally.   Going to a higher voltage (the limit is 15-Volts, maximum) allows the Stepdance to produce equivalent volumes with a lower setting on the volume control.  This translates to more headroom for those moments when the signal calls for lots of power.

I just placed an order for two of the Blue LiPo 14.8-volt batteries and the balancing charger described at the links above.

I'll let everyone know how it goes and will post pictures when I get it wired up.  At 14.8-Volts, I'll be getting as much as safely possible out of the Stepdance and this solution will allow me to go portable (unlike the 13.8-Volt PSU).

biggrin.gif

In a January 11th e-mail I received from Jan Meier in response to my questions, he wrote:

"Yes, a good powersupply [for the Stepdance] will definitely improve on sound quality, especially when it's supply voltage is so much higher than your battery voltage."

Mike

Edit applied on 15 February 2011 - Warning:  Don't purchase any of the 14.8-Volt LiPo batteries I recommended, above - Get the 11.1-Volt LiPo batteries offered by the same retailer, instead.  I've only today learned that the voltage specs for RC hobbiest batteries such as the  Blue LiPo 4-Cell 1000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C LiPoly Battery  are NOMINAL voltages!  This means that a 14.8-Volt battery is READY TO BE CHARGED when it gets DOWN to 14.8-Volts!  When fully charged, add 0.5 Volts per cell - which for these 4-cell batteries, equals another 2.0 Volts.  So...  when this 14.8-Volt battery is fully charged, it's at 16.8-Volts - FAR in excess of the 15-Volt limit for the Stepdance.   If you're still interested in an external LiPo pack for the Stepdance, get the 11.1-Volt 3-cell LiPo batteries from the same retailer as linked above, or for less hassle but more bulk and weight, get the Energizer XP8000, which provides a 12.0-Volt output jack that can be used with the Stepdance.  Search this thread for more info on the XP8000.   Mike

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #859 of 3,070
I'm using the Jameco 12V AC-DC adapter (Lin/Reg) most of the time. I did notice I had to put the volume "higher" on the stepdance than the hornet. I just came across the skynet WND-1505-R.

This is potentially a 15V linear regulated adapter. Likely not as quiet as a 14.8 battery pack that is completely off the grid, but should give that extra "oomph" tha a 12V cannot. Then again, I don't know if they would even sell one unit; it seems the wall warts are made only in Taiwan.

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #861 of 3,070

Hi Avi!

Given that the specs show the voltage can vary +/- 5% from the nominal rated voltage, the 15-Volt model could end up sending as much as 15.75 Volts into the Stepdance (or more, if the specs aren't accurate).

I'm afraid to go much higher than a 13.8-Volt regulated PSU given the 15-Volt maximum stated by Jan Meier.

13.8-Volts + 5% = 14.5 Volts (leaving a 0.5-Volt safety margin).

The Lithium Polymer batteries can't go any higher than the voltage you achieve at full charge, which can be tightly controlled with the charger I ordered.   At 3.7 Volts per cell, a four-cell LiPo pack like those I've listed in the links above, can't go any higher than 14.8 Volts - an ideal coincidence for the Stepdance, with it's 15-Volt maximum.

Mike

Edit applied on 15 February 2011 - Warning:  Don't purchase any of the 14.8-Volt LiPo batteries I recommended, above - Get the 11.1-Volt LiPo batteries offered by the same retailer, instead.  I've only today learned that the voltage specs for RC hobbiest batteries such as the  Blue LiPo 4-Cell 1000mAh 4S1P 14.8v 20C LiPoly Battery  are NOMINAL voltages!  This means that a 14.8-Volt battery is READY TO BE CHARGED when it gets DOWN to 14.8-Volts!  When fully charged, add 0.5 Volts per cell - which for these 4-cell batteries, equals another 2.0 Volts.  So...  when this 14.8-Volt battery is fully charged, it's at 16.8-Volts - FAR in excess of the 15-Volt limit for the Stepdance.   If you're still interested in an external LiPo pack for the Stepdance, get the 11.1-Volt 3-cell LiPo batteries from the same retailer as linked above, or for less hassle but more bulk and weight, get the Energizer XP8000, which provides a 12.0-Volt output jack that can be used with the Stepdance.  Search this thread for more info on the XP8000.   Mike

Quote:
[snip]

I just came across the skynet WND-1505-R.

This is potentially a 15V linear regulated adapter. 

[snip] 

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:08 AM Post #862 of 3,070

Hi Anouk!

Quote:

Hi everyone, I am pretty interested in more info about the experiences with those 14.8v battery packs. Especially the bigger ones should be pretty interesting. Can you just put them in the amp or do you need to connect them externally? Greetings, Anouk,

I ordered the 1000 mAh 14.8-Volt LiPo packs because they are the smallest 14.8-Volt rechargeable batteries I could find, but even they will not fit inside the Stepdance.  They measure roughly 1-inch. x  1.5-inch  x  3-inch (dimensions in millimeters can be obtained from the link I provided in my earlier post.)

The packs having greater capacity are even larger, of course.  A 5000 mAh 14.8-volt pack would make a great desktop powersupply - very clean DC power, but it's too large and heavy for my tastes (staying portable).

Each of these packs has a cable for charging and a cable for discharging.  

The cable for charging has a common ground wire plus four independant conductors for each of the four cells - a total of five conductors.  This allows the processor-controlled charger to independently charge each cell - a balancing charger.  If you tried to charge all four cells arranged in a series circuit, any one cell that's slow to charge could cause all the other cells to go over voltage and possibly overheat or even explode (as can happen with Lithium Polymer batteries).  By charging each cell in the pack independently, they can all be brought to the 3.7-Volt limit at their own pace, so to speak.   The JST connector on the charging cable will plug into the 4-cell port on the charger I ordered. 

The cable for discharging has only two conductors of much heavier guage - these see the four cells in series as a 14.8-volt pack. This cable is terminated with a pair of special, polarized banana jacks.  To connect the Stepdance, I'll have to purchase the appropriate polarized bannana plugs, which I've been told can be purchased already soldered to a pair of leads (black and red wires) that are bare at the other end.  To this end, I will have to solder a Type H Coaxial Power Plug (3.5mm o.d. / 1.3mm i.d.) as I've already done once, when I created a power cable for use with the Tripp-Lite 13.8Volt regulated power supply.  I hate soldering, but we're only talking about two (2) solders to make this happen.

I'll take pictures as I go, in case anyone wants to PM me for step-by-step photos.  I could also post them to this thread if there's enough interest.

I'm just jazzed at the thought of running the Stepdance portable at 14.8-Volts.  More voltage = more headroom = more slam!  

Mike

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #864 of 3,070

That has to be one of the ultimate Stepdance set-up's! If I were to change my Denons these would be the Headphones I would go for, what a lovely looking set up! I certainly would like to see the 14.8 volt set up and think it very relevant on this thread. I notice a difference between 8.4 and 9.6 volt powerex batteries!
Iwould love to see how you connect the 14.8 to the stepdance for portable use, pictures speak louder than words to folks like me who are completely non technical!
Once again, excellent set up and I would love to hear your thoughts on the stepdance/LCD synergy.
Oh yes, I agree with cooper, a shorter cable but more importantly a mini plug terminated one would be a wise addition I think to prevent strain on the stepdance!

I'll take pictures as I go, in case anyone wants to PM me for step-by-step photos.  I could also post them to this thread if there's enough interest.

I'm just jazzed at the thought of running the Stepdance portable at 14.8-Volts.  More voltage = more headroom = more slam!  

Mike

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #865 of 3,070
Zilch, that setup looks gorgeous! I too vote for a full a pictorial as possible, especially as I am terminally incapable of this kind of electrical work (I've never even held a solder gun, let alone used one
confused_face.gif
)

Feb 9, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #866 of 3,070

Thanks cooperpwc!

Quote:

Mike, my god but that is a pretty rig!

One thought: For portable use, you might get some shorter cables for the LCD-2 that are also terminated in a mini plug. That adaptor is a lot of stress to put on the Stepdance headphone jack over time.

Yes, I've been concerned about the stress on that jack.  At the suggestion of jpelg, I've already purchased a 1/8"-1/4" cable to replace the hard adapter seen in the photos. 

Thanks for the tip, just the same.  I'm teachable! 
smile.gif

Here are some more pics and info about my rig.

Mike

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #867 of 3,070

Hi ianmedium!
Quote:
[snip]

I notice a difference between 8.4 and 9.6 volt powerex batteries!

I would love to see how you connect the 14.8 to the stepdance for portable use, pictures speak louder than words to folks like me who are completely non technical!
Once again, excellent set up and I would love to hear your thoughts on the stepdance/LCD synergy.

[snip]

Thanks for head-swelling compliments!  
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, all I've done is spend money.  There's been a little bit of original thought, perhaps, in deciding to go with the Sony PCM-M10, but otherwise, I was just doing a lot of research (reading many threads) here on Head-Fi to design this rig.  So, I appreciate all of you for your admittedly superior knowlege and many contributions to this forum.  In my eperience, there are very few online forums, on ANY topic, that can compete with Head-Fi for sheer collaborative spirit. 

While I'm expressing my appreciation, he doesn't know this yet, but basically, for the amp and the cans, I just bought what Skylab recommended - in his reviews of the Stepdance and the LCD-2.  The truth is I don't have any other gear (besides a Sansa Clip, Shure SE530's and a pair of Sennheiser HD280 pros.)  I just took a big bungee jump on the respect that everyone here at Head-Fi has for Skylab's opinions.  So... It's almost entirely his fault!   
biggrin.gif

I also put some failth in impressions offered by average_joe, who preceded me (among others?) in discovering that the Stepdance can drive the LCD-2 quite nicely.

Mike

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #868 of 3,070

Avi,

Quote:
Zilch, that setup looks gorgeous! I too vote for a full a pictorial as possible, especially as I am terminally incapable of this kind of electrical work (I've never even held a solder gun, let alone used one
confused_face.gif
)

I hear you!  When the order arrives, I will do my best to put together a pictoral for cabling the 14.8-Volt LiPo pack to the Stepdance.

Mike

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #869 of 3,070

Hi ianmedium!

Thanks for head-swelling compliments!  
rolleyes.gif

Seriously, all I've done is spend money.  There's been a little bit of original thought, perhaps, in deciding to go with the Sony PCM-M10, but otherwise, I was just doing a lot of research (reading many threads) here on Head-Fi to design this rig.  So, I appreciate all of you for your admittedly superior knowlege and many contributions to this forum.  In my eperience, there are very few online forums, on ANY topic, that can compete with Head-Fi for sheer collaborative spirit. 

While I'm expressing my appreciation, he doesn't know this yet, but basically, for the amp and the cans, I just bought what Skylab recommended - in his reviews of the Stepdance and the LCD-2.  The truth is I don't have any other gear (besides a Sansa Clip, Shure SE530's and a pair of Sennheiser HD280 pros.)  I just took a big bungee jump on the respect that everyone here at Head-Fi has for Skylab's opinions.  So... It's almost entirely his fault!   
biggrin.gif

I also put some failth in impressions offered by average_joe, who preceded me (among others?) in discovering that the Stepdance can drive the LCD-2 quite nicely.

Mike

I am exactly the same as you, I have very little knowledge or expertise and based my purchasing decisions heavily on Skylab and Cooper' knowledge and willingness to answer questions.. I have not regretted one moment and if either are ever in my neck of the woods the beers are on me!

This is an exceptional forum for help and kindness I find. I am thinking really hard on the LCD's but first must come the algorithm solo!

I am really looking forward to your pictorial on the battery set up!
Thanks once again for showing the great set up you have!

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #870 of 3,070
I'm a new owner of The Stepdance, I've read all This monster-thread, But do anyone have The same problem on a IPhone out, The typical noise of a mobile interference...I have another portable amp (Nico's) and has not The same problem...forgive my horrible english But I'm Also on a mobile phone :)
Greetings to This mighty forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back