Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #2,986 of 3,070
  Is there a way to fix this? 

Try this: take the battery out, turn the pot to max, then all the way down to minimum (without switch off). Repeat for 1 minute or so, then put the battery back in and listen.

Oct 8, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #2,988 of 3,070
  you mean take battery out without switching it off and repeat without putting the battery back in? 

Taking the battery out is just a precaution. If you are not connecting it to a headphone and source, it really doesn't matter..

Oct 8, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #2,989 of 3,070

Taking the battery out is just a precaution. If you are not connecting it to a headphone and source, it really doesn't matter..

Nope just tried for 2 minutes and can still hear the cracking sound. 
Its actually audible in the right channel as well but just not as loud. 
I don't know if I should ask for a refund.
I purchased it off head-fi. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #2,991 of 3,070
Can you describe the cracking sound in detail?

It's like the sound of a light electric shock when one touches a door of a car.
It's happening at even regular intervals regardless if I turn the knob faster or at a snail's pace and gets constantly louder as the volume is turned up. It starts to be very audible after 12 o'clock on the dial. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #2,992 of 3,070
Is it like light tick-tick-tick sound? If it is, that actually the sound of the digital volume control switching between resistance and perfectly normal.

Oct 8, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #2,993 of 3,070
Is it like light tick-tick-tick sound? If it is, that actually the sound of the digital volume control switching between resistance and perfectly normal.

sort of but gets noticeably louder after 12 o'clock and is mostly on the left channel. It can definably be heard not just with highly sensitive iems when I pass 1'oclock mark. 
Is the ticking sound what you are hearing on your quickstep? 

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #2,995 of 3,070
  Maybe change your battery? It could be that.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare. 

Meier just got back to me explaining that the soft rhythmic clicks when turning the volume pot is considered normal behavior as it is the action of the electronic switch, however, if the clicks are loud, then it is circuitry related. Click are normally only can be heard at the upper range of the volume control.

The clicks I'm hearing can be heard from 11'oclock and only after 1 does it get loud enough to become really be noticeable. 

The reason I'm worried is I don't recall my first quickstep I owned and sold years ago to exhibit this clicking sound. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #2,996 of 3,070
Is it ok to use iem with low sensitivity below 35ohms or will it cause damage to the iems or amp itself? 

The reason I'm asking is in both l/h gain, there is no hiss until after 12o'clock. 

On low again I find myself having to go past 12 o'clock to achieve a comfortable listening level hence hiss starts to come in. 

On high gain, I don't have to go past 11o'clock. 

Oct 8, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #2,997 of 3,070
Is it ok to use iem with low sensitivity below 35ohms or will it cause damage to the iems or amp itself?

You can use headphone of any impedance. What control the power is the volume knob.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #2,999 of 3,070
I'm mean can it be used on high gain without causing long term damage to low impedance iems. 

Depends on volume setting and Max Input spec of individual IEM, not necessarily corresponding to low impedance, though if you are listening at a volume that could damage IEM I would be more worried about your hearing :ph34r:. This is a good read: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=1285

Oct 11, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #3,000 of 3,070
  As a new proud owner of HD800S, I am excited!

Meir Audio Soul is what Lieven from Headfonia considers best amp for HD800s

Source: http://www.headfonia.com/report-canjam-europe-essen-2016-part-2/3/

Correction, I said it sounded sublime. that isn't the same as "the best amp for" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back