MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Sep 15, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #182 of 1,638
I don't know, I've never heard a Sony that didn't have too much treble for my taste.  Except maybe the R10.  But I still wasn't a huge fan of those.  And since these are studio phones, I'm guessing they'll have the "revealing", "detailed", "fast" treble peak.  But hopefully I'm wrong!  

Sep 15, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #183 of 1,638
The CD900ST is pretty smooth in the treble area, and it was basically a 7506 tweaked by Sony Music Japan for their own purpose. The midrange is a bit forward to my ears though, slightly harsh sometimes. Yet far from being unmusical. I don't know who exactly Sony targets with the Z1000 but they say it's made for studio and portable recorders/cameras as well, so it may be similar to the DT48 which has a smooth treble as well. I hope it won't be analytical like the 4070, but the latter was primarly made for the Japanese television/radio so they probably didn't need to keep it musical.

Sep 15, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #184 of 1,638
Out of all the flagships, this has me the most excited. I was washed away in the T1's fanfair, but realized I would not have a significant upgrade over some of what I have.

I have not owne3d a Sony flagship, and I like the price, as I was disliking all these phones that cost more than my Grace amp, but these appear to be even more interesting because I approve of their design, and I guerss time will tell if I like how it sounds? I am, with this phone, looking at a serious listening headpone, like the Sony's version of the RS1. I like the industrial design, and simplicity with such clean lines, and if materials really are what I hope them to be, then this is almost my dream phone for a better-than-studio listen at home, and any sony edgyness, I have enough associated gear that can bring on the warmth while the Grace brings on the heft.

I may begin saving up for these, a flagship, finally I can see myself actually wearing. The 600ohm DT990s are on hold
biggrin.gif
until I find out more information on these beauties. IF they function with a high sensitivity, then I would be in heaven being able to use my low power tube amp with them as well, or even a DAP. People spend full price on HD800s to plug into an ipod, so I can't imagine this being any worse than such an arrangement. I see it as being better, as I imagine isolation being fairly good. I have, lately, began loving closed cans, and with the exception of my sr325is, my favorites are closed, or semi closed, such as the DT880, though my 770s can sound sublime. There just seems to be this idea that an open headphone is going to sound huge and, often, I am spooked by that sound way out at the other end of the room from a closed set of phones, save for the sr325s. I know my senns are too laid back to image that well, but that is another reason to like a closed can... Even the XB700s image extremely well because of the seal they make, and just now my old k271Ss that were made in austria, not china, they have impressed me more than a lot of phones recently. I want to use my m50s, but they sound a bit less open and sound better on the lower power amp, but designed right, a closed can is able to bring everything to the table an open can could, except for lqack of isolation, as an open can wins on the watching TV with headphones on but music off award.

I would rather the isolation. The improved isolation of the 880/990 pads on my 770s was just the ticket to make them stand on their own as well.

For 750 dollars, I would expect a quality headphone from Sony here, since it seems the money ws put into the functional engineering, rather than aesthetics. Industrial design just works. 

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #185 of 1,638
the XB series really dont excite me. Hoping this new Z series have their inner beauty.

"The Z1000 is also one of the first headphones by Sony to use a liquid crystalline polymer diaphragm, which is nearly five times as strong as conventional designs and reduces inner plate vibration significantly"

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #186 of 1,638
The CD900ST has rolled off treble. It actually reminds me of a Sennheiser.

Quote:
I don't know, I've never heard a Sony that didn't have too much treble for my taste.  Except maybe the R10.  But I still wasn't a huge fan of those.  And since these are studio phones, I'm guessing they'll have the "revealing", "detailed", "fast" treble peak.  But hopefully I'm wrong!  

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #188 of 1,638
Aren't these due like next month?
Don't see them listed at all on their site...

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #191 of 1,638

Quote:
the XB series really dont excite me. Hoping this new Z series have their inner beauty.

"The Z1000 is also one of the first headphones by Sony to use a liquid crystalline polymer diaphragm, which is nearly five times as strong as conventional designs and reduces inner plate vibration significantly"

Fascinating. 
popcorn.gif

I wonder how it ends up sounding.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #192 of 1,638
Wow...just saw this thread for the first time, looked at the picture of the headphones and nearly barfed on my keyboard. Ugggggggleeee.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #193 of 1,638
are they really 700$ headphones
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #194 of 1,638
IIRC, the MSRP for the MDR-SA5000 is something like US$699, but it sells for $350 or so.

Hopefully the MDR-Z1000 pricing will follow suit.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #195 of 1,638
That's one reason I am not rushing into buying these, although I likely will at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back