Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 1, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #421 of 2,660
Can someone post the physical dimensions of this unit please.

If anyone has used it with Beyerdynamic DT 770 Premium 250ohm, impressions would be much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #422 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by brod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone post the physical dimensions of this unit please.

The hardware specifics of the D1 are to find on the Maverick Audio homepage.

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #424 of 2,660
On a whim today, I decided to test my D1 headphone amp with some Sony MDR-V150s I had laying around. Weirdly, even though they're even lower impedance than my HD280s, the hum was just barely audible, and the gain was acceptable on the first few notches.

Why is this, because they have a lower sensitivity (98db/mW vs 102db/mW) than my Senns?

.....But then the K601s which are notoriously hard to drive are still 101db/mW? Is this balanced out by their larger impedance?
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #425 of 2,660
Well, I just pulled the trigger on this. I don't not post here much but lurk often. I just set up a music server and have been looking for a USB DAC.....which I can't afford right now. However, I saw the D1 and read through all this thread and then realized that with the D1, I don't need my passive pre-amp, so that is now going on the bay to pay for the D1. I have been using the stock soundcard in my server and it really sucks. the music is lifeless, flat, undetailed, and muddy sounding. I am hoping that using the D1 (USB out from the server) will change that. I order it with the tube.

Thanks to all for the great information in this thread!!!

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #426 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by thearrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weirdly, even though they're even lower impedance than my HD280s, the hum was just barely audible, and the gain was acceptable on the first few notches. Why is this, because they have a lower sensitivity (98db/mW vs 102db/mW) than my Senns?
.....But then the K601s which are notoriously hard to drive are still 101db/mW? Is this balanced out by their larger impedance?
confused_face(1).gif

Good question, the sensitivity has on the first hand nothing to do with the impedance, it depends to the type of transducer and the used dimensions. You can find low impedance HP's of higher sensitivity and high impedance HP's of lower sensitivity, or vice versa. If it works well for you, has always to do with the interaction of the remaining system.

@ brod
Nothing to thank for!
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #427 of 2,660
My tubes will be in the mail tomorrow. Exciting!

Jan 1, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #428 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am using the D1 mainly as a preamp, and I have to say mine is dead quiet and the upgraded tube is cleaning up nicely in the bass department as it breaks in. It may run a little hot in direct mode on the tube pre out, so with some amps you need to take it out of direct mode and go to 2-3 o'clock to attenuate the gain.

I think the tube out on the D1 is starting to really add some character to my speaker setup, and am very happy with it as a preamp. The only thing that I would look into in the future would be a tube preheat circuit, as it takes a bit to get going and can clip in direct mode on some amp/speaker combos. But the direct mode is defeatable
happy_face1.gif

Grokit, thanks for the reply. Sounds like you're using the D1 more as a DAC than a DAC/Pre-amp. I say that because you mention direct mode or attenuating the signal. Are you connecting the D1 into a HT receiver or integrated amplifier? I would like to connect the D1 directly into a power amp and use the D1 volume control to regulate the output.

Things I'm worried about are
1. Power output directly into the amp. Does it have enough gain?
2. Noise level?

Is anyone here using the D1 directly into a power amplifier?

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #430 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heads up! I just noticed that the pre-order price will end on January 2nd! Get your orders in
biggrin.gif
It's also $10 cheaper on the Maverick Audio site than on eBay.

That is His-acly why I ordered mine today.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #432 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good question, the sensitivity has on the first hand nothing to do with the impedance, it depends to the type of transducer and the used dimensions. You can find low impedance HP's of higher sensitivity and high impedance HP's of lower sensitivity, or vice versa. If it works well for you, has always to do with the interaction of the remaining system.
wink.gif

I'm going to thank you anyways, that's the simplest definition I have read yet on the mystery of headphone "synergy" with a given amplifier, based upon the impedance and sensitivity of the headphone. Sometimes getting a headphone loud low on the knob gives painful results though and as I have stated before, nothing seems to beat pure "amplifier mass" for ultimate satisfaction with higher-performance full-sized headphones.

At least that's my latest over-simplification, take your chances from China or spend some real bucks on a decent desktop amp from a recognized name brand
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #433 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by TC44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grokit, thanks for the reply. Sounds like you're using the D1 more as a DAC than a DAC/Pre-amp. I say that because you mention direct mode or attenuating the signal. Are you connecting the D1 into a HT receiver or integrated amplifier? I would like to connect the D1 directly into a power amp and use the D1 volume control to regulate the output.

Things I'm worried about are
1. Power output directly into the amp. Does it have enough gain?
2. Noise level?

Is anyone here using the D1 directly into a power amplifier?

You're welcome, TC44. Actually, I use it mostly as a pre-amp, and will use it almost exclusively as a pre-amp/DAC if my EF5/HE5 ever gets here. I have another DAC in the system that I like at least as much as the D1, a 16-bit Fubar I/O with stand-alone PSU.

I connect to an all-digital 7.1 H/T receiver with the tube out (mostly run in 2.1 bi-amped mode with lossless), which warms up the digital sound of my receiver nicely. The tube out has too much gain for some amp/receivers in direct mode, which is why you can bypass it, for attenuation.

There is no noise at all in either direct or attenuated mode, but it can overload some circuits and clip sometimes in direct mode, particularly if you power it up cold and blast the wrong recording through it.

The D1 would work great with a power amp, just use the attenuated mode for a single volume control, very desirable.

I would say that I am most satisfied with my D1 as a preamp first, a DAC second, and a headphone amp third, which matches up just right with my priorities
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #434 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by djnagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ryan, is there any way to add a remote control to the D1? I will be using it for a pre/DAC and it would be very convinient to be able to control volume from my LB.

It is not possible to add remote control for the D1. All the major controls on the D1 are hardware control, unless they are software adjustable, you will not be able to add remote control software/circuit into it.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #435 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVisit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not possible to add remote control for the D1. All the major controls on the D1 are hardware control, unless they are software adjustable, you will not be able to add remote control software/circuit into it.

I was thinking more a long the lines of a little motor on the volume pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back