Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Dec 31, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #406 of 2,660
If you're getting a hum it's almost definitely because of the fact you're using very sensitive phones with a very high gain amplifier.

Dec 31, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #408 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVisit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Technically, there shouldn't be hum sound since the amp stage is shutdown when there is no audio signal feed. I still suspect it has something to do with the power or grounding.

You are right, in the most cases is a broken shielding of the signal cables the only reason. With the sensitivity of the HP's or the output gain has it nothing to do. It seems the problem could be easily solved in the same way!

Dec 31, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #409 of 2,660
Would there be some way to easily replace a few wires that run to the headphone amp with shielded ones?

I'm anxious to hear what the engineer has to say about it.

I'd still want to upgrade my phones, though. Anyone have any suggestions that would pair well with the super-high-gain headphone amp on the mav?

EDIT: Also, BigCW, I'm curious as to how you'll like the windmill getters, so when you roll one in please let me know what you think of it.
normal_smile .gif

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #410 of 2,660
I just gotta say that it's awesome how JustVisit (Ryan) is on this site helping everyone and coming up with suggestions to everyone that has an issue. It means a lot for the owner of a company to do that, no matter how large or small that company is. You don't see this with the Zero even after 2 major threads and tons of people complaining yet nobody from the company has registered here. Ryan, your support is extremely re-assuring for customers, I know it is for me
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks.

Dec 31, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #411 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by thearrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would there be some way to easily replace a few wires that run to the headphone amp with shielded ones?

I'd still want to upgrade my phones, though. Anyone have any suggestions that would pair well with the super-high-gain headphone amp on the mav?

I talk about the shielding inside of your amplifier. Shielding is in nearby every amplifier necessary by multiple contacts to the ground. Therefore I assume a bad connection somewhere in the signal path by a loose cable or a soldered connection.

I recommend beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (250 ohm), or SENNHEISER HD 600 (300 ohm) both are a very good choice for the money.
beyersmile.png

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #412 of 2,660
Quote:

So you've tried your k601s (120 ohm?) out of the headphone amp and don't get any hum?

Yeah, no hum with my K601s, and they're notoriously amp-dependent (extremely inefficient, even less so than the K701s).

Quote:

EDIT: Also, BigCW, I'm curious as to how you'll like the windmill getters, so when you roll one in please let me know what you think of it.
normal_smile .gif

I'll definitely include it in my review. :]

Jan 1, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #413 of 2,660
I'm interested in using one of these to replace my current Adcom GTP 500 preamplifier. I've read through the 28 pages and didn't see very much on how this performs as a preamp. I have a pair of Beyer DT880 and the D1 sounds like a good match, but I'll also be looking to replace the Adcom preamp. Anyone use this in place of their preamplifier? What do you think?
Thanks!

Jan 1, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #414 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by TC44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested in using one of these to replace my current Adcom GTP 500 preamplifier. I've read through the 28 pages and didn't see very much on how this performs as a preamp. I have a pair of Beyer DT880 and the D1 sounds like a good match, but I'll also be looking to replace the Adcom preamp. Anyone use this in place of their preamplifier? What do you think?
Thanks!

It's a great Pre-amp but i recon most are using it as headphone amp. I think i prefer the S/S pre-output to the tube pre-output, i've not got my NOS GE5670 tube yet which i'm sure wil be an improvement over the one fitted.

Apart from the trace of hum i'm experiencing, which i'm sure is something silly like a wire, i'm well happy..One thing id do think needs addressing is the black brush anodised facia, it's too shiney (gives a patchy cheap effect) in needs to be more matt it will look very high end & more expensive looking to boot. It's a great thing & i will be buying another one or two if a more matt finish is employed as i want it with my hi-fi but not prepared to do with the shiney finish, so this one stuck on my computer.

Jan 1, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #415 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ELP FAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing id do think needs addressing is the black brush anodised facia, it's too shiney (gives a patchy cheap effect) in needs to be more matt it will look very high end & more expensive looking to boot. It's a great thing & i will be buying another one or two if a more matt finish is employed as i want it with my hi-fi but not prepared to do with the shiney finish, so this one stuck on my computer.

There is a thin layer of wax on the surface of the unit, it will go away by time. If you don't like the "shiny" finish, you can use a dry soft cloth to wipe the wax off.

Jan 1, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #416 of 2,660
Some of the lettering on my unit is actually starting to scrape away from simple everyday use. Its not enough to bother, but it does give the impression that its a bit more cheap looking. I treat my gear very nicely, and its disappointing that the lettering paint is starting to rub off considering its age.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #417 of 2,660
Anyone knows if i can use this as a pre-amp for EF2?

If yes, is it powerful to drive DT880 properly with EF2?

Also i want to ask how the quality of dac is? Can you compare Zero or Musiland or uDac or something else?

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #418 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by TC44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

I am using the D1 mainly as a preamp, and I have to say mine is dead quiet and the upgraded tube is cleaning up nicely in the bass department as it breaks in. It may run a little hot in direct mode on the tube pre out, so with some amps you need to take it out of direct mode and go to 2-3 o'clock to attenuate the gain.

I think the tube out on the D1 is starting to really add some character to my speaker setup, and am very happy with it as a preamp. The only thing that I would look into in the future would be a tube preheat circuit, as it takes a bit to get going and can clip in direct mode on some amp/speaker combos. But the direct mode is defeatable
happy_face1.gif

To my ears the headphone out of the D1 is like your basic low-end Chinese hybrid tube, has the hopped-up gain that sounds good with the right low-impedance/efficiency cans but a bit harsh with others. I think the K601s sound the best so far out of the D1; the HD600s were instantly fatiguing but not as painful as with the above-mentioned low-end Chinese hybrid tube. The D1 is definitely smoother than the "rolled" Indeed. I am curious as well about how the HD650's would sound, and will have mine back soon
popcorn.gif

I will be using the SS pre out with a better tube headphone amp/separate PSU soon in a bit of "reverse synergy"; it will be an interesting diversion to compare/rank other DACs with the D1's, and compare the USB to the optical input I am using now on the D1 itself.

Jan 1, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #419 of 2,660
Quote:

So you've tried your k601s (120 ohm?) out of the headphone amp and don't get any hum?

No hum here, I think the K601s work very well with the D1.

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #420 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by sp70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the lettering on my unit is actually starting to scrape away from simple everyday use. Its not enough to bother, but it does give the impression that its a bit more cheap looking. I treat my gear very nicely, and its disappointing that the lettering paint is starting to rub off considering its age.

I'm sorry to hear about this issue. The painting factory has trouble with one batch of our front panel, the painting is not "hard" enough due to extreme cold weather. I think your unit might be among that batch production, since then we've fixed this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back