Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #437 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by djnagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking more a long the lines of a little motor on the volume pot.

It seems you have no imagination how many hours the developers have invested to keep the signal as clean as possible. A motor controlled volume potentiometer would be a new source for unwanted noise and hum. The same problem appears by an old-fashioned remote cable.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #438 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by millerlitescott /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just was on the Maverick website to order one and I got a warning from my computer that it was not secure or possibly someone/something impersonating the website so I backed out.

Scott

Probably just your browser, I know firefox does this sometimes with ebay when I'm going through transactions.

Just delete your cookies, refresh the page, and try again.

I just ordered mine a couple hours ago
k701smile.gif

Jan 2, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #439 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems you have no imagination how many hours the developers have invested to keep the signal as clean as possible. A motor controlled volume potentiometer would be a new source for unwanted noise and hum. The same problem appears by an old-fashioned remote cable.
rolleyes.gif

Well, I get paid very well for my imagination, so there you go. Do I have an understanding of how all the stuff in the D1 works? No. That is why I asked.

This is what I saw that spurred my thinking....without the input selector board.

ALPS Motorized volume 4 in remote control Potentiometer - eBay (item 250556178922 end time Jan-09-10 17:46:09 PST)

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #440 of 2,660
Jan 2, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #441 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by asianfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably just your browser, I know firefox does this sometimes with ebay when I'm going through transactions.

Just delete your cookies, refresh the page, and try again.

I just ordered mine a couple hours ago
k701smile.gif

I just ordered mine. Looking forward to trying this baby out.

Thanks everyone for all the info. Thanks to Ryan for all the answered e-mails and his support.

Scott

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #442 of 2,660
Quote:

Forget it, it makes no difference. They would have to redesign the whole unit.
eek.gif

I'm guessing that it would push the unit upwards of $300 then as well, just for a remote... just my 2 cents.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #443 of 2,660
The stock tube on this isn't that bad actually... just way too bright for my tastes. Makes a solid state setup very sibilant and harsh.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #444 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock tube on this isn't that bad actually... just way too bright for my tastes. Makes a solid state setup very sibilant and harsh.

What other tubes have you rolled? A friend of mine called me last night to tell me he had a hand full of tube from different manufactures including the Western. I am really looking forward to getting my unit.

Right now, I am on break from reorganizing my system to make this fit.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #445 of 2,660
Quote:

Forget it, it makes no difference. They would have to redesign the whole unit.
eek.gif

I guess what I was thinking was could I add the remote control unit? It uses the Black ALPS and the board that it mounts too is just for control of the pot not the signal. This was just a thought.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #446 of 2,660
Quote:

What other tubes have you rolled? A friend of mine called me last night to tell me he had a hand full of tube from different manufactures including the Western. I am really looking forward to getting my unit.

Right now, I am on break from reorganizing my system to make this fit.

Haven't rolled any yet, my tubes are in the mail. I have a Raytheon windmill getter and a GE 5670 in the mail.

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #447 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't rolled any yet, my tubes are in the mail. I have a Raytheon windmill getter and a GE 5670 in the mail.

Cool. I ordered mine with the GE upgrade then found out that Paul, my friend, has a handfull of them.....oh well. Looking forward to your impressions. How long is shipping taking from the time of order?

Jan 3, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #448 of 2,660
Quote:

It uses the Black ALPS and the board that it mounts too is just for control of the pot not the signal.

It affects the signal path and the whole PCB design, that's reason enough, no matter what it is made for! I'm basically not against improvement, but this one would not fit into the existing concept.
normal_smile .gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #449 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustVisit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a thin layer of wax on the surface of the unit, it will go away by time. If you don't like the "shiny" finish, you can use a dry soft cloth to wipe the wax off.

Ah brilliant, i did notice a waxy residue on the case when recieved, didnt realise the facia was the same, great i'll clean that off.

On that note then looking on Mav site i noticed another unit which is different looking facia layout to the 'D1' what are the differences between the two?

Maverick Audio Online Shop

Jan 3, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #450 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ELP FAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On that note then looking on Mav site i noticed another unit which is different looking facia layout to the 'D1' what are the differences between the two?

From what I understand, you're seeing the original model. Ryan "revised" and improved it (opamp sockets, front panel layout & other things) and that new one is called the D1 which is a new release and that's why it was available at a promotional pre-order price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back