Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 3, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #451 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock tube on this isn't that bad actually... just way too bright for my tastes. Makes a solid state setup very sibilant and harsh.

That's weird, my SS receiver through the tube pre-out could use a little more assertiveness in the high end for my tastes, and I am not by any means someone who prefers forward treble typically. But I am using the upgraded NOS GE tube.

Jan 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #452 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by AcousticDreams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It affects the signal path and the whole PCB design, that's reason enough, no matter what it is made for! I'm basically not against improvement, but this one would not fit into the existing concept.
normal_smile .gif

I guess I'll have to get out of the chair......lazy me.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:00 PM Post #453 of 2,660
Just to be clear: there will be no difference in sound quality for headphone output between "regular" and "upgraded tubes" versions, right?

Jan 3, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #454 of 2,660
my understanding is that the headphone amp is all solid state. only the rear outputs can make use of the tube

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #458 of 2,660
It just might be enough to drive headphones. The outputs are very hot. I had ordered my xs version with the preamp bypassed. I had to go in and enable the preamp so that I could tone it down. The outputs was way to hot for my receiver inputs.

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #461 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by thearrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have my HD280s hooked up to the tube out this way. ^

Nice! I wonder about taking this a step further and maybe wiring in a switch inside the unit to switch the headphone jack from SS to tube?

Just a fantasy thought
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #462 of 2,660
I can't believe none of us have thought of this before...
I just tried it. I took the tube output, ran it into an RCA to 1/8 adapter and hooked my Grados in. The first thing I noticed was no hum, no hiss, total silence. WIth fingers crossed I turned the volume up. Success! But, as I brought it up to a decent listening level I noticed that there was some clipping / distortion even though the listening level was moderate. I guess its just not enough.
I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying this, its hardly listenable and i'm guessing its probably not the best for the hardware. I immediately reverted to my previous setup. I think an ideal thing though, would probably be to take any budget amp to hook the D1s tube out into. After you find your right tube, thats probably the sweetest sound you'll get out of this thing.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #463 of 2,660
That sucks. Maybe someday they'll make one with headphone output that has some "tubiness"
biggrin.gif

I'd buy that one.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #464 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure what you mean by hot outputs... I know I have a crappy pair of headphones around here, I'll wire them to RCA and when my D1 comes, I'll test it out :
smily_headphones1.gif

That's a term we use in the pro audio world with outputs that have a strong voltage or "hot" signal.

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #465 of 2,660
Hi All
Has anyone had any problems using the DAC via USB, i've switched from Analogue in to try USB in my computer, switched selector to USB & not a sound! Computer says it's found new device but no signs of it in settings! I had this problem a while back with High Resolution Technologies streamer never got to the bottom of that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back