Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jul 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4,096 of 5,176
Quote:
Hi all.

In few days I will recieve my Matrix M Stage (HPA-1)  USB to power my  Senn HD650.
I think it's a very good amp for beging with and I will use it at first on stock mode and later I will make any modification on the opamps.

This post it's soo huge to read with no time and for that reason I ask if there any particular recomendations to DAC's opamp and amplifier opamp (besides the expensive Opa627).

Thanks to all.
David.

LME49720HA or LM4562 would be a good start. 

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #4,098 of 5,176
After you add in the cost of a quality DAC and cables to the Matrix M-stage audio chain, I think the Audio-gd 11.32 is a better buy. I just never saw the Audio-gd DAC/amp combo till recently when another member added it to his ortho audio chain. It is a steal.

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #4,100 of 5,176
Quote:
But i believe you can't swap opamps right?

Page quote "[size=x-small]Fully  discrete analog stages without any OPA"[/size] (not sure if he means opamp (?)
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB11.32/NFB11.32EN.htm

I think what lets down a lot of these Chinese makers is their brand names can be a bit cheesy/strange and also they don't invest a lot in sleek minimal exterior cases to match the high grade of sound.....A-gd stuff does look a bit 1980's retro which pulls down its image vs the top notch internal design they have.

Only in the higher model DAC/amps can you swap various chips (DAC etc) but jump in price for that luxury.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4,102 of 5,176
Currently using this with my new T1 and liking it. Anyone else use this amp to drive T1's?

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #4,103 of 5,176
I have a question. Between Matrix M Stage and Asgard 2, which is the better one? Especially as a preamp? Particularly for mids and clean/transparent sound? What are the pros and cons of each against each other? And how do these two compare to Lyr?

Thanks in advance

Aakshey

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #4,104 of 5,176
Quote:
Currently using this with my new T1 and liking it. Anyone else use this amp to drive T1's?

I don't, but I've been thinking about it. Did you use any other amp with the T1 before M-stage?

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #4,105 of 5,176
Quote:

I don't, but I've been thinking about it. Did you use any other amp with the T1 before M-stage?

I just got my T1's yesterday and I've been switching between the Matrix and the Head Direct EF 1.

My problem, so far, with the T1's is their lower mids/mid bass sound too resonant/tubby. The Matrix mostly gets rid of this problem, but the mids aren't as clear, the soundstage not as large, and the instrument separation not as good as with my EF 1. So either amp has its drawbacks imo. I might be upgrading to another solid state, like the Corda Classic, we'll see.

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #4,106 of 5,176
Quote:

I just got my T1's yesterday and I've been switching between the Matrix and the Head Direct EF 1.

My problem, so far, with the T1's is their lower mids/mid bass sound too resonant/tubby. The Matrix mostly gets rid of this problem, but the mids aren't as clear, the soundstage not as large, and the instrument separation not as good as with my EF 1. So either amp has its drawbacks imo. I might be upgrading to another solid state, like the Corda Classic, we'll see.

A simple change of the OP amp could cure that problem.

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #4,107 of 5,176
Quote:

I think the Matrix is probably giving you a slightly more true sound with the T1s. The T1, IMO doesn't have a huge SS, and the mid range in definitely withdrawn a bit. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #4,108 of 5,176
Quote:

A simple change of the OP amp could cure that problem.

I don't think so, the physics is not there to support that rolling opamps alters sound in any discernible empirical way and physics is definitive (or at least not to be overturned by mere flawed human perception which sometimes makes us think the laws of physics somehow don't apply in certain instances, usually those that conform to our wishes/desires, when they hold constant in all others) while our very fallible human perception, especially heavily biased by the well documented effects of the cognitive distortions resulting from expectation, is not. Blind tested (as I have been with opamp swaps on some gear with other people) and no one can discern stock opamps from "improved" ones. So the Matrix sounds as it sounds and can not be improved. And it's not a bad amp, it's just the T1's really bring out its flaws imo.

And since I have no desire to discuss this I'll take my leave now and simply say I'm happy whenever anyone enjoys gear for whatever reason even if that reason has no actual basis in reality apart from our all-too-human perception.

Aug 2, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #4,110 of 5,176
Quote:

I don't think so, the physics is not there to support that rolling opamps alters sound in any discernible empirical way and physics is definitive (or at least not to be overturned by mere flawed human perception which sometimes makes us think the laws of physics somehow don't apply in certain instances, usually those that conform to our wishes/desires, when they hold constant in all others) while our very fallible human perception, especially heavily biased by the well documented effects of the cognitive distortions resulting from expectation, is not. Blind tested (as I have been with opamp swaps on some gear with other people) and no one can discern stock opamps from "improved" ones. So the Matrix sounds as it sounds and can not be improved. And it's not a bad amp, it's just the T1's really bring out its flaws imo.

And since I have no desire to discuss this I'll take my leave now and simply say I'm happy whenever anyone enjoys gear for whatever reason even if that reason has no actual basis in reality apart from our all-too-human perception.

I beleive in ABx tests. I have done ABx comparisions of two M-Stage amplifiers before and after changing OP amp in one of them (to [size=small]LM4562NA).[/size] I could pick out the one with [size=small]LM4562NA in 90% of cases. Two other people who were present during the test achieved similar result. The difference was not huge but it was certainly there and not at the level of chance. [/size][size=small]The amplifiers sounded exactly the same before changing OP in one of them. [/size][size=small]I love physics but I also love other scientific approaches. They shouldn't be neglected. [/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back