Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,976 of 5,176
Yep

May 3, 2013 at 2:49 AM Post #3,977 of 5,176
Quote:

Well..................I actually don't like the sound of the 20 dB setting. But I'm OK with 18, 10 and 0 dB settings. If I adjust for volume, I really can't hear the difference between 18, 10 and 0 dB. But something about 20 dB of gain in the M Stage doesn't sound right to me.
BTW, changing the gain from 0 to 10 to 20 dB doesn't increase the maximum output power available from the M Stage. I only use 18 dB with my 600 Ohm headphones because I run out of volume control travel on the 10 dB setting with quiet recordings.

I won't even touch this one!

Quote:

I agree. For me, personally, I prefer 18dB for my Q701 and have kept it there since day one.

I'm on +18db too, perfect for both the He-400 & K701, but they like different opamps, for K701 - OP627BP is a killer, sounds fantastic! For the He-400 I'm running LME49710NA, it's not as perfect match as the K701 & 627, but I don't have a better option right now.

May 12, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #3,978 of 5,176
Just ordered the OPA627AP from coolbaby11 on Ebay for my M Stage that I am using with my HE-500, I have heard good things about changing the op-amp so I thought I would try it out but what should I really expect to be improved compared to the stock op-amp with the HE-500?

May 13, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #3,979 of 5,176
Quote:
Just ordered the OPA627AP from coolbaby11 on Ebay for my M Stage that I am using with my HE-500, I have heard good things about changing the op-amp so I thought I would try it out but what should I really expect to be improved compared to the stock op-amp with the HE-500?

From my experience, rolling OP-amps only brings slight changes to the sound of M-Stage. Also, it is very hard to do any AB test if you don't have two M-Stage amps. The best you can do is to not expect anything so you may be positively surprised.

May 16, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #3,980 of 5,176
Quote:

My He-400 works good with 2xLME49710NA and I use 2xOPA627BP for K701, the other way around sux.

May 18, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #3,981 of 5,176
[size=small]I've just stuck a pair of LT1028ACN8 in the M-stage. Really good, its defo helping to remove the slight veil and the sound seems to be more free. I've used this opamp before and it is very transparent and open sounding. [/size]

May 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3,982 of 5,176
OK, I couldn't stand it anymore, comparison time!

I thought I would compare the mighty Matrix M Stage to the FiiO E09K headphone amp.
disclaimer: my Matrix has an LM4562, input coupling caps are deleted, the E09K is bone stock.
DAC was either a FiiO E17 used as a DAC or an iBasso D12 used as a DAC.
Source was an iPod into a Wadia dock which outputs SPDIF to the DAC.
Phones were AKG Q701.
Levels were carefully matched using an SPL meter and pink noise.

And the winner?
The Matrix M Stage.

The amps were very close, but the Matrix showed a bit more detail, a bit more texture, a little more space, a touch less midrange fog, a bit more transparency, a bit more microdynamics.  For example, strumming of an acoustic guitar was a touch more tactile. When I switched to the FiiO I always had the feeling that I had just lost a little clarity. Even though I had carefully level matched (and re-checked it!)  the Matrix sounded slightly louder, I can only guess this is due to the slight increase in transparency.
Is the Matrix worth twice as much as the FiiO E09K?
If you are a detail and texture freak, the answer would be yes. 
But if you just want a good sounding amp without spending the money for a Matrix, get the E09K.

Next comparo:
Comparing the Matrix M to the headphone amp in the iBasso D12.

May 24, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #3,983 of 5,176
OK, I couldn't sand it anymore, comparison time!

I thought I would compare the mighty Matrix M Stage to the FiiO E09K headphone amp.
disclaimer: my Matrix has an LM4562, input coupling caps are deleted, the E09K is bone stock.
Phones were AKG Q701.

And the winner?
The Matrix M Stage.

The amps were very close, but the Matrix showed a bit more detail, a bit more texture, a little more space, a touch less midrange fog, a bit more transparency, a bit more microdynamics.  For example, strumming of an acoustic guitar was a touch more tactile. When I switched to the FiiO I always had the feeling that I had just lost a little clarity. Even though I had carefully level matched (and re-checked it!)  the Matrix sounded slightly louder, I can only guess this is due to the slight increase in transparency.
But if you just want a good sounding amp without spending the money for a Matrix, get the E09K.

Next comparo:
Comparing the Matrix M to the headphone amp in the iBasso D1

Thank yoo for the review. I guess this is the difference we can expect from any two amplifier designs.

May 24, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #3,984 of 5,176
Quote:
OK, I couldn't stand it anymore, comparison time!

Phones were AKG Q701.

And the winner?
The Matrix M Stage.

Next comparo:
Comparing the Matrix M to the headphone amp in the iBasso D12.

Yeah, I also say thanks. I had the E9k before getting the M-Stage but never was able to A/B them. I always wondered if I had made the right choice. Thank you for confirming that I did.

May 24, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #3,985 of 5,176
Hey, thanks guys!

Comparing the Matrix M to the iBasso D12 is driving me crazy! :p
More later.

Also, I want to compare my M Stage to my FiiO E12.

May 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #3,986 of 5,176
How are you A-B comparing them? Do you have a switch or just swapping plugs around?

May 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #3,987 of 5,176
How are you A-B comparing them? Do you have a switch or just swapping plugs around?

Driving both amps at the same time and plugging my headphones into alternating amps.

I'm not trying to be ultra scientific.
If they both sounded the same, I would just say "they both sound the same".
I'll leave the ultra scientific ABX DBT to the propellor heads in the Science Forum.

May 24, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #3,988 of 5,176
Quote:

Didn't you mention in another forum of a Fiio product that will be releasing for things like this? What was it again???
popcorn.gif

May 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #3,989 of 5,176
Didn't you mention in another forum of a Fiio product that will be releasing for things like this? What was it again??? :popcorn:
Yeah, the FiiO HS2. I've got one on the way :)

May 25, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #3,990 of 5,176
Quote:
Driving both amps at the same time and plugging my headphones into alternating amps.

I'm not trying to be ultra scientific.
If they both sounded the same, I would just say "they both sound the same".
I'll leave the ultra scientific ABX DBT to the propellor heads in the Science Forum.

I asked because I just picked up a second headphone amp and I want to compare it to the M-Stage as well.  I was wondering if you used any techniques to make it easier to compare.
popcorn.gif

My new amp is the iFi iCan.  I picked it up to test out its soundstage and bass enhancement features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back