Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Mar 5, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #3,767 of 5,176
Ok thanks. Im planning on replacing the volume knob with this that i found online. I suppose the only way to replace it is to open up the m-stage, but Im not sure what to do from there. Some advice would be very much appreciated.

An observation though, the back screws don't need a hex key, they're regular star screws.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #3,768 of 5,176
Quote:
Ok thanks. Im planning on replacing the volume knob with this that i found online. I suppose the only way to replace it is to open up the m-stage, but Im not sure what to do from there. Some advice would be very much appreciated.

An observation though, the back screws don't need a hex key, they're regular star screws.

You don't need to open the amplifier in order to replace the volume knob. There is a little screw on the knob that holds it in place. A very small hex screw. Unscrew that and the knob will come off. After that you can also replace the front plate if you wish
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #3,771 of 5,176
Quote:
You're welcome. Can you show us the knob you ordered? I am not so fond of the original knob. It is a bit slippery to your fingers.

It's linked in my comment above, this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PKG1-30x22-Aluminum-STEREO-Hi-Fi-VOLUME-CONTROL-KNOB-w-/390317545470?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae0bd17fe#ht_2869wt_1108

It will better match my silver plated m-stage.

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #3,773 of 5,176
Quote:
i wonder how would a phone like esw9a sound like on these with 0 gain.

Overall, I liked this amp -- it has plenty of power, although I imagine you'll be cranking it pretty far past noon on 0 gain.  Certainly with those phones having 42ohm impedance and 103 db sensitivity, you won't have any problem with the hum issue I had with my IEMs. Note, my Panasonics have 108db sensitivity and I typically got the volume around 10:30 - 11:30 when using them on 0 gain.

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #3,774 of 5,176
I'm really interested in this amp, but how does it sound with the HE-400? From what I hear, it's very similar to the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, which is designed for high-impedance headphones. So how will that affect the sound quality (if at all)? Does anyone have hands-on experience with this combo?

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #3,775 of 5,176
Quote:
I'm really interested in this amp, but how does it sound with the HE-400? From what I hear, it's very similar to the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, which is designed for high-impedance headphones. So how will that affect the sound quality (if at all)? Does anyone have hands-on experience with this combo?

I have the pair and it sounds awesome, you won't be disappointed at all.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #3,778 of 5,176
It even drives the he500 well, i know from own experience

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #3,779 of 5,176
Picked up one of these a week ago and popped in a LM4562. Sounds great with my K701's, very good match. I really like the tone it has, quite refined and slightly warm at the lower end, also good airy soundstage that is welcome for classical music. I'd say its a better match for the AKG's than the Magni that I got recently aswell. The magni is a little too "neutral" for the ultra transparent K701's.
The m-stage is struggling with my LCD2's though, but that was to be expected with the power specs. The bass is loose and they lose authority and control from the mids down compared to more powerful amps including the Magni. I know the LCD2's are easier to drive than the HE500's so I'm surprised that the m-stage could drive them to satisfactory levels (and I don't mean volume wise). It's not that I don't believe you hifimanrookie, just saying :) 

I've got a 627ap bias thingy coming and so I'll post some impressions when I receive this compared to the popular LM4562.

All in all, the M-stage is great value and performs well above its price, but I wouldn't recommend it for orthos.   

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #3,780 of 5,176
Quote:
Picked up one of these a week ago and popped in a LM4562. Sounds great with my K701's, very good match. I really like the tone it has, quite refined and slightly warm at the lower end, also good airy soundstage that is welcome for classical music. I'd say its a better match for the AKG's than the Magni that I got recently aswell. The magni is a little too "neutral" for the ultra transparent K701's.
The m-stage is struggling with my LCD2's though, but that was to be expected with the power specs. The bass is loose and they lose authority and control from the mids down compared to more powerful amps including the Magni. I know the LCD2's are easier to drive than the HE500's so I'm surprised that the m-stage could drive them to satisfactory levels (and I don't mean volume wise). It's not that I don't believe you hifimanrookie, just saying :) 

I've got a 627ap bias thingy coming and so I'll post some impressions when I receive this compared to the popular LM4562.

All in all, the M-stage is great value and performs well above its price, but I wouldn't recommend it for orthos.   

I said it drove the he500 well..didnt say excellent..ofcourse u have better amps..like the one i have now..but for the price it did well driving the he500 on gain 10 db..but i had the  first version and the class a opa 627 mod..maybe that made a difference in sound? Dont know..but for 249 the mstage did a fine job..but ofcourse if u do buy a he500 its best to invest more on an amp..the 337 with the tubes i have is best sounding amp i heard for the he500 under 1000 until now..and am not only one who says that..the 339 is his brother.
funny is that the 337 dont do well with the hd800 and so so with the lcd series..it does well with the he400/500.. To my ears ofcourse..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back