Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jun 11, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2,971 of 5,176
Quote:
I bought mine on Amazon and am loving it with my AKG701's and my Sennheisers. Made all the difference in the world!   
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm geussing it was from Tam audio? I've seen them sold through amazon market from tam.

Jun 12, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2,972 of 5,176
I recently bought my M-Stage from TamAudio's site for $250, and it was a vented one. Shortly after I bought mine, I noticed that TamAudio started selling the M-Stage for $260 on Amazon Marketplace (previously, it had been $20-30 higher). I think it's pretty safe to presume that their Amazon Marketplace storefront sells the exact same products and that they created it for the publicity (I would also have to presume that the higher price on Amazon Marketplace is due to Amazon's commission).

Quote:
As far as I know all versions marked 2011 or later have the vents, I'd get them from Tam audio/Coolfungadget, I would imagine he is only selling the vented ones now.  I have 2, and bought a third for a friend, all 3 have the slots.

Jun 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #2,973 of 5,176
As far as I know all versions marked 2011 or later have the vents, I'd get them from Tam audio/Coolfungadget, I would imagine he is only selling the vented ones now.  I have 2, and bought a third for a friend, all 3 have the slots.

I bought one in the middle of 2011, it does not have vents.

The vents give the M an airier sound.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #2,977 of 5,176
Hi I've just bought HD 600 for mixing producing etc. after tryin out lots of cans i prefered 600's much more than any other. now i need  an Amp so i  consider buying Matrix, however i own an interface Lexicon Lambda but it has just super bad HP out, my N8 phone sounds much better, maybe it's just lack of power in it I dont know it also got monitor L/R outputs , so my question is can i make something out of it ? how to connect it all ? or should i get Matrix with USB ?

Thanks in advance.

I wanna connect it so i can use monitors at the same time ofc.

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #2,978 of 5,176
Jun 14, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #2,981 of 5,176
Make sure it is ethically sourced, organic goosedown, or else the top end gets a bit honky :wink_face:

I hate to disagree but in my opinion the top end can get a squawky when you use organic goose down :p

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #2,982 of 5,176
Here's my impression on the M-stage.

I had it for about 3 weeks. It's the amp only, 2012 version with vents.
I also have the audio-gb NFB-5, a amp/DAC.
So it's PC > NFB5 > M-stage > AD900/T50RP/HD600

I have the stock op amp, 627, 4562, 49860. I was quite disappointed when I first listen to this thing, no matter what op amp or headphones I tried. It could be my DAC i guess. So i let it burn in for a few days. But things didn't get better. When I compared the M-stage with the NFB-5 amp section (same op amp used on both), the M-stage was lacking details, lacking texture in the instruments and the separation was not as good as the NFB-5. So I thought maybe it was an unfair comparison. 

I took out my Yulong U100, a dac/amp combo, about US$200. using the U100 as DAC and I compared the amp section to the M-stage.
PC > U100 > M-stage
This time the margin was smaller, but the M-stage was still lacking. I tried switching the op amp on the M-stage, the best sounding (to me) was the 49860. But I find myself enjoying the music much more on the U100 than the m-stage. 

Previously, I've owned the NFB12 and tried O2, c421. 

If i were to rank all of these amp in MY PREFERENCE:
NFB-5 > O2 > c421 > NFB12 > U100 > M-stage

Again, this is just my opinion. I returned it after 3 weeks. No regrets.

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #2,984 of 5,176
my k701 drivers does this when i turn off my m stage while its plugged in. is that safe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg

No way is that safe, sooner or later that will destroy your headphones.:xf_eek:
Is the volume all the way down?
Do you hear a loud thump thru the 'phones when you do this?
Bets thing to do is to always unplug 'phones from an amp before you turn any amp off.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #2,985 of 5,176
Quote:
No way is that safe, sooner or later that will destroy your headphones.
redface.gif

Is the volume all the way down?
Do you hear a loud thump thru the 'phones when you do this?
Bets thing to do is to always unplug 'phones from an amp before you turn any amp off.

i think this explains the popping noise people hear through their phones when they turn on or off their m stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back