Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 26, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #2,941 of 5,176
Quote:
Hi Mad Max,

How do you mean software settings? Windows settings? Foobar settings? What specifically?

EDIT: Okay here's something, in Foobar2000 when I change it from WASAPI (HRT MS2+) to DS (HRT MS2+), the blips go away. DS for Direct Sound.
Also, I don't have the problem with Foobar refusing to play my songs when I take it off WASAPI...

EDIT2: Tried to download a Kernel Streaming plugin for Foobar... still hear blips.
Tried to download an ASIO plugin for Foobar... Foobar doesn't even execute.

Guess I'm stuck with Direct Sound?
Maybe I should try posting in a thread about the HRT Music Streamer rather than here?

EDIT3: Just found this, looks like I have some reading to do:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/593826/hrt-headstreamer-wasapi-woes-in-foobar

EDIT4: Thinking of dropping Foobar in favor of MusicBee, which doesn't seem to have any problems with my HRT MS2+.

You set the playback buffer too low or too high.  This always needs to be tweaked.
File > Preferences > Output > Buffer length
I use it on 100ms.  If you get blips, raise it a bit.  If you still get blips, raise it some more.  Keep going until the blips stop.

May 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #2,942 of 5,176
When I was still fiddling with Foobar settings earlier, I had tried as low as 100ms, 250ms (where it was originally), as high as 700ms and 960 or so ms... Not 100% sure, but I think Foobar's WASAPI plugin just has problems with HRT DACs (seeing how frequently other users were reporting problems with Foobar/WASAPI/HRT MS2.

I haven't had and problems at all since I switched to MusicBee, and MusicBee actually has the best interface I've ever used as well. I am currently rocking out to Parliament's Mothership Connection right now in 24/96, and this has never sounded better. The soundstage has so much depth, and the variety of bass frequencies is so clearly articulated.
L3000.gif
I am going to have fun for a while discovering my music all over again. Thanks again for all of your help as I have been getting myself setup here. :)

@chicolom: Indeed. MusicBee is the s***. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

You set the playback buffer too low or too high.  This always needs to be tweaked.
File > Preferences > Output > Buffer length
I use it on 100ms.  If you get blips, raise it a bit.  If you still get blips, raise it some more.  Keep going until the blips stop.

May 27, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #2,943 of 5,176
Super noob question: How bad is it for your amp to leave it on when it's not in use? Will it still run hot?

Obviously I'm going to try to remember to flip the switch on the back of this thing whenever it's not in use, but if I listen to a few albums, forget to turn it off, and run to the store for an hour with my music paused, what's the worst that could happen?

BTW, loving the combination of the HRT MS2+ and the M-Stage (stock opamp atm) so far; thanks to those who helped me arrive at this combo. Comparing the sound I am experiencing now to my E17 that I sold about 10 days ago, I would say that there are two things I notice most. First, the bass has a lot more resonance... it's less flabby if you know what I mean (sorry my descriptors are so noob-ish, still learning the language). Also, I would say that there is more variation in the bass frequencies; there is no longer this "sameness" to all bass sounds. Secondly, this DAC is far more detailed than the E17... This is the first time I've ever heard that "vinyl popping/cracking" in my 24/96 FLAC rips, and in other songs I am hearing guitar textures and instruments subtly in the background that I have never heard before.

May 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #2,944 of 5,176
Nothing bad.  Heat is the enemy of all electronics, so turn your amp off when not in use.

May 29, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #2,945 of 5,176
does anyone know if there are any fake matrix m stages being sold? i ask because i just recieved mine from a seller on ebay (who has very high feedback and i believe to be a store) and while it looks high quality and like the genuine article when i compare them to online pictures of other peoples units, theres something about the sound i dont know how to describe it, it could also just be in my head

im using akg k601's and i mainly bought the mstage because i would have to max out the vol pot on my grant fidelity tubedac 11 to drive them, i ran the dac out straight into the m stage inputs and have to do basically the same thing on the m stage and max it out to get any type of decent listening levels, should i be concerned?

May 29, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #2,946 of 5,176
Set the gain to 10.  Look on the bottom of the amplifier.

May 29, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #2,947 of 5,176
lol yeah after about an hour sitting around playing with the settings and interconnects i had a "duhhhh" moment and started playing with the gain settings, 10 was good but i had to move to pot past 3 oclock at somewhere around 5 or 6 to get the volume i desired so i just set it at 18 and scaled it back down to around 1 or 2, im pretty happy now :)

May 29, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #2,948 of 5,176
lol yeah after about an hour sitting around playing with the settings and interconnects i had a "duhhhh" moment and started playing with the gain settings, 10 was good but i had to move to pot past 3 oclock at somewhere around 5 or 6 to get the volume i desired so i just set it at 18 and scaled it back down to around 1 or 2, im pretty happy now :)

How loud do you listen?
Or are K601s that inefficient?

May 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #2,949 of 5,176
i listen loud enough that it drowns out outside noise but nowhere near max, with all my other headphones and even my swan m10's i never push the volume knob past 3 oclock but the akg k601's are power hungry beasts

i bought the matrix m stage specifically for those phones and those phones alone, i would have to max out the volume on my grant fidelity tubedac 11 to get even close to decent volume levels, but now with the m stage after i played with the gain settings im pretty happy as can be lol

at gain of 10 it gave it enough juice to get to a level i was comfortable with but i felt i had to turn the knob a little to close to max on some songs whereas a gain of 18 gives me more versatilty with where i can set the volume pot and gave me the volume levels i was looking for

May 30, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #2,950 of 5,176
Quote:
i listen loud enough that it drowns out outside noise but nowhere near max, with all my other headphones and even my swan m10's i never push the volume knob past 3 oclock but the akg k601's are power hungry beasts

i bought the matrix m stage specifically for those phones and those phones alone, i would have to max out the volume on my grant fidelity tubedac 11 to get even close to decent volume levels, but now with the m stage after i played with the gain settings im pretty happy as can be lol

at gain of 10 it gave it enough juice to get to a level i was comfortable with but i felt i had to turn the knob a little to close to max on some songs whereas a gain of 18 gives me more versatilty with where i can set the volume pot and gave me the volume levels i was looking for

my listening volume is at 9 o clock position with gain setting of 10 and i find that plenty loud. with my k701s

May 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,951 of 5,176
Quote:
my listening volume is at 9 o clock position with gain setting of 10 and i find that plenty loud. with my k701s

Yes, that is what I find when I listen to a loud, compressed recording.
With a recording with lots of dynamic range, then I usually set volume closer to 11 o'clock with my Qs.

Obviously all this depends on how hot the signal is from your source to your Matrix.

May 30, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #2,952 of 5,176
I've happily connected my Cowon J3 with Matrix for my AKG 702's for over a year now. Love the adjustable EQ and soundeffects of Cowon, but Mstage definitely needs to be on 20 gain setting to properly amp. I don't have a real quality DAC, so the sound on my J3 exceeds pumping through my computer when you can set back the gain setting to 10. I also dig how the bass gets strengthened over the tonality with a higher grain setting. Always compromises, but those AKG are bright to begin with.

May 30, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2,953 of 5,176
can matrix m stage + hrt ms2 and k/q70x users help me with a listening test?

this here is apparently a track for testing. from the looks of it the recording is good.
i listen to this track at with my m stage's volume knob at 9 O' clock position. with 10gain
i just wanted to know people's listening volume with the same setup as mine.
im just wondering if its safe to turn up my my volume knob a bit more without damaging my ears.

Jun 3, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #2,955 of 5,176
Quote:
I have the K701's and never heard the Q's but 10 oclock seems ok to me, very good recording, was a real treat listening to it ^^^^^^^^

Edit,  It sounded better with the 2+ back in the chain, so......very good recording!!

Second edit: I directly compared this recording to the same song on MOG epic fail for MOG, wow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back