Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jun 16, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,986 of 5,176
Quote:
my k701 drivers does this when i turn off my m stage while its plugged in. is that safe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg

That's a little scary looking.  I think I will unplug my Q701 before power cycling from now on... 
confused_face.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #2,987 of 5,176
Quote:

That's a little scary looking.  I think I will unplug my Q701 before power cycling from now on... 
confused_face.gif

btw tell me if theres any changes in the sound after the practice of unplugging ur q701s before power cycles.
because when i listening to my k701's i hear different variations in its sound during multiple uses.
hopefully im not going crazy.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #2,989 of 5,176
Quote:
btw tell me if theres any changes in the sound after the practice of unplugging ur q701s before power cycles.
because when i listening to my k701's i hear different variations in its sound during multiple uses.
hopefully im not going crazy.

I don't think the sound changes on my Q701.  I can hear a soft "whump" if I have them plugged in an power up the M-stage.  I haven't looked at the drivers to see if they doing the same thing as that video.  

Maybe your are going crazy after all
blink.gif

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #2,990 of 5,176
Quote:
what sort of variations?

-one of the variations made my k701s sound like the best i've heard in headphones making me question if they're really headphones.
 vocals sounded smooth and warm and meaty. highs are smooth and a bit of sparky. bass was deep and smooth. sibilance was there but it didnt bothered me or sometimes it felt like it was suppose to be there and sometimes its enjoyable.
-another variation only sounds like a more meaty ad700.
-one variation which is extremely rare, bass is not bloated but i actually felt it rumble on my head. its not clipping or distortion.
-one which is like the rumbling bass but with highs missing.
-one which is really wierd no highs no mids and no bass. sounds lifeless. sometimes theres a more meaty version of this. this one here confuses me because i never heard anything like this. sometimes the volume is extremely low.
-another variation people mentions on headfi, thin, dry. hard smacking in your ear and listening to it pisses me off. no dynamics. rough sounding. sounds like its trying to grind me up or something.
-sometimes decays from cymbols are different. sometimes going "ksssssssh" or "kaattsssssh" or "KACHHHHSHSH"
- sounds with this type of wave seem to be easily seperatable " { ". sometimes my k701 had no trouble seperating waves like
 this " ( " and other times its cant pick it out. this wave " { " was never an issue with anything. notice the curve wave " ( " and pointed wave " { ".

these are the variations i remember. these are all tested with the same volume and gain setting. with the same songs over and over again.
my room is very quiet. i posted this issue on on headfi hoping to obtain some semi helpful information a while ago and people made fun of me. semi trolled. say that what im experiencing is not possible at all and all placebo effect (atleast this sounds reasonable). i've read about psycoacoustics and various place effects on sound. yet im still experiecing these variations. either im going crazy, somethings up with my ears (i checked almost 3-4 times a week i hear from 20hz to 16k). somethings wrong with my HRT MS2, my m stage or my k701.
or maybe my k701's drivers are damaged or wearing out. my k701's always sit on my table and have never taken a hit from any substance like food or liquid and never dropped on the floor or any surface. i always checked to see if hair is touching driver as well. i got this semi OCD thing. i even unplugged all my components once in a while.

as for my settings its HRT MS2 at max volume, matrix m stage at 10gain (didnt mistake the black for white) with volume knob at 9 o clock of every song ( i even put a piece of white tape cut into a shape on a triangle on the position of my listening volume).
sorry if i sound like im in a bad mood or something because last time i posted the same thing in hope of useful information only to look like a fool. most likely my experience is placebo or component issues. to me these variation are too different to be called placebo. i am not on any medication or drugs. i have no illness or what so ever. i dont do drugs, smoke or drink (yea call me a looser). so my physical health is out of the question.

as for usage i use it everyday from for 4-6hours. sometimes even 8 hours.

PS - and anyways this is a m stage thread so sorry this post.

Jun 17, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #2,991 of 5,176
i think this explains the popping noise people hear through their phones when they turn on or off their m stage.

Yes, that is the source of that loud popping noise!
Very destructive!:mad:

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #2,992 of 5,176
Anyone with an M stage that doesn't own the x701 akg's seems like it's the overwhelming majority. I was very pleasantly surprised at how it matches up with the HD650 as well. Which led me to purchasing a second one, coolest thing about the 650 is changing amps is kin to changing cans, sources also.

The only other desktop amp I have under 500 is the headroom micro, and the M stage is better, IMO of course.

Chris.......I covered my vents and the bass got boomy.....yuck

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #2,993 of 5,176
Anyone with an M stage that doesn't own the x701 akg's seems like it's the overwhelming majority. I was very pleasantly surprised at how it matches up with the HD650 as well. Which led me to purchasing a second one, coolest thing about the 650 is changing amps is kin to changing cans, sources also.

The only other desktop amp I have under 500 is the headroom micro, and the M stage is better, IMO of course.

Chris.......I covered my vents and the bass got boomy.....yuck

Hmmmmmm.......somebody insert a joke about the vents on the new M Stage are actually tuned ports to increase bass efficiency and extend bass bandwidth!:D
Does this mean my old M Stage is an acoustic suspension design?:p

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #2,994 of 5,176
Quote:

I use my M-Stage to power the AT W1000X, a modded T50RP, and the classic AKG K500. After shuffling through a number of opamps, I finally settled on the Audio-GD OPA Sun and haven't looked back.

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #2,995 of 5,176
oh and EinZweiDrei, i know it was me that asked you what variations you were hearing, and i was very interested to read your response.
However, while i don't doubt you are hearing these variations, tbh, i haven't got a clue what the reason might be.
Somethings not right obviously, but i guess you will have to swap out the different parts of the system somehow and narrow down the culprit!
Good luck,and please let us know if you ever work out the cause! 
confused.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #2,996 of 5,176
Quote:
-one of the variations made my k701s sound like the best i've heard in headphones making me question if they're really headphones.
 vocals sounded smooth and warm and meaty. highs are smooth and a bit of sparky. bass was deep and smooth. sibilance was there but it didnt bothered me or sometimes it felt like it was suppose to be there and sometimes its enjoyable.
-another variation only sounds like a more meaty ad700.
-one variation which is extremely rare, bass is not bloated but i actually felt it rumble on my head. its not clipping or distortion.
-one which is like the rumbling bass but with highs missing.
-one which is really wierd no highs no mids and no bass. sounds lifeless. sometimes theres a more meaty version of this. this one here confuses me because i never heard anything like this. sometimes the volume is extremely low.
-another variation people mentions on headfi, thin, dry. hard smacking in your ear and listening to it pisses me off. no dynamics. rough sounding. sounds like its trying to grind me up or something.
-sometimes decays from cymbols are different. sometimes going "ksssssssh" or "kaattsssssh" or "KACHHHHSHSH"
- sounds with this type of wave seem to be easily seperatable " { ". sometimes my k701 had no trouble seperating waves like
 this " ( " and other times its cant pick it out. this wave " { " was never an issue with anything. notice the curve wave " ( " and pointed wave " { ".

these are the variations i remember. these are all tested with the same volume and gain setting. with the same songs over and over again.
my room is very quiet. i posted this issue on on headfi hoping to obtain some semi helpful information a while ago and people made fun of me. semi trolled. say that what im experiencing is not possible at all and all placebo effect (atleast this sounds reasonable). i've read about psycoacoustics and various place effects on sound. yet im still experiecing these variations. either im going crazy, somethings up with my ears (i checked almost 3-4 times a week i hear from 20hz to 16k). somethings wrong with my HRT MS2, my m stage or my k701.
or maybe my k701's drivers are damaged or wearing out. my k701's always sit on my table and have never taken a hit from any substance like food or liquid and never dropped on the floor or any surface. i always checked to see if hair is touching driver as well. i got this semi OCD thing. i even unplugged all my components once in a while.

as for my settings its HRT MS2 at max volume, matrix m stage at 10gain (didnt mistake the black for white) with volume knob at 9 o clock of every song ( i even put a piece of white tape cut into a shape on a triangle on the position of my listening volume).
sorry if i sound like im in a bad mood or something because last time i posted the same thing in hope of useful information only to look like a fool. most likely my experience is placebo or component issues. to me these variation are too different to be called placebo. i am not on any medication or drugs. i have no illness or what so ever. i dont do drugs, smoke or drink (yea call me a looser). so my physical health is out of the question.

as for usage i use it everyday from for 4-6hours. sometimes even 8 hours.

PS - and anyways this is a m stage thread so sorry this post.

Is this ONLY with the Q701?
Or any phones
Just a guess; a bad, intermittant connection somewhere?
Bad cable? Dirty jack?
A noisy potentiometer somewhere?  Rotate the pots a few times.
Try moving the gain settings around on your M Stage, the little switches could be dirty. You can set it back to 10 dB, just make sure you move the switches around.

Jun 18, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #2,997 of 5,176
Quote:

Is this ONLY with the Q701?
Or any phones
Just a guess; a bad, intermittant connection somewhere?
Bad cable? Dirty jack?
A noisy potentiometer somewhere?  Rotate the pots a few times.
Try moving the gain settings around on your M Stage, the little switches could be dirty. You can set it back to 10 dB, just make sure you move the switches around.

hopefully some of these would solve my setup's issue.
i'll have to bring my whole setup over to a friend's place, he has some decent gear to test them on.
hopefully i can bring my k701 to sing properly like one of the variations. most of the time it cries, wails, punches, and throws kicks at me like an annoying little sister.

Jun 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #2,998 of 5,176
One of the fastest ways to upgrade all your gear, book a room at a holiday inn express, take all your gear with you..........after one night, you and your gear will have all improved.  On a more serious note, I have no problems with my k701's with any amp, although I do unplug all cans before power cycling.

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #2,999 of 5,176
Has anyone used their Q701s with the ODAC connected to the m-stage?  I just hooked up my ODAC today and I am noticing a marked drop in bass quantity compared the DAC in my Auzentech Forte soundcard.

I really do like the detail of the ODAC and would love to keep it if I can get the bass boosted a bit.  I am running stock opamps, so if there are some opamps out there that can boost the bass I am all for trying that.

What do you guys recommend I do to get a little more bass with this setup?

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #3,000 of 5,176
The Auzentech is a warm sounding laid-back unit (I used to own one) compared to many other DACs. The ODAC is on the lean side (comparable to Benchmark DAC1). Try LM4562, it's less strident and more laid back than the stock OPA2132. Biased into class A, the LM4562 gets slightly warm sounding. You can also try OPA2604 or JRC/NJM4556.

You can always EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back