Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jun 24, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #3,016 of 5,176
Quote:
Just don't expect a miracle, the M will still sound like an M Stage.

Oh no. Definitely not. But in the context of the OP's question where he changed his DAC from the Auzentech to the ODAC (known quantities to me), an op-amp swap in the Matrix could just be the ticket to warm up the ODAC's leaner presentation.

Jul 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #3,018 of 5,176
Quote:

Interesting.  No Analog inputs on the M-stage DAC box thing though.  I guess it's just a huge DAC?..

Quote:
MATRIX M-STAGE DAC is designed for the audio decoder with M-STAGE AMP headphone amplifier design. Top PCM1792 D / A conversion unit can support the highest 24Bit/192kHz digital audio signal playback, sophisticated design, the M-STAGE DAC has the following features:

• professional digital receiver chips with ultra-low-Wow and flutter and independent clock.
• fiber optic, coaxial, USB variety of digital signal input mode.
• optical fiber, coaxial interface supports highest 24Bit/192kHz digital signal playback.
• USB interface support the highest 24Bit/96kHz digital audio signal playback.
• analog op-amp dedicated audio op amp OPA2134 to get the best signal playback.
Boot and enter the channel switching automatic volume fade to prevent excessive volume caused by the shock and hearing damage.
• The high quality sealed audio power transformers, circuit unit with independent multi-stage regulated power supply.
• High quality gold-plated connection terminals.

Machine sound performance of the natural texture, ultra-high resolving power and signal to noise ratio for you to explore the tiny details of every music, to meet your demand for high-quality Hi-Fi sound source.

Jul 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #3,021 of 5,176
Very interesting...I wonder what the portable amp/dac will retail for? I like that the full-size DAC is stackable, and it looks to me, from the pics, that opamps are socketed and can be rolled... 
popcorn.gif

Jul 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #3,022 of 5,176
Jul 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #3,027 of 5,176
Having owned a pile of tube amps thru the years, I don't think the M Stage sounds very tube like.

Tube amps often have a trace of fat, lushness and a touch of soft, fat bass.
The mids often sound lush, the treble can be a bit sparkly.

Just my opinion, based on my experience.....
wink_face.gif

Jul 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #3,029 of 5,176
Very true, my M Stage sounds quite different than my La Figaro 336C, even when I use high impedance 'phones.
So it ain't just the output impedance

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #3,030 of 5,176
So after waiting for two months for the adapter for my 2x OPA602BP opamps to arrive in the mail from China, I insert it into the opamp slot today only to find out it doesn't work. Mad Max told me in PM to make sure that the "semicircular grooves" on both of the OPA602BP were facing the same direction, so I did this. If I place the opamps+adapter into the socket with both semicircular grooves facing those 2 little green things inside the M-Stage, then I will just barely be able to hear what sounds like the 8-bit equivalent of whatever song I'm listening to. If I place the opamps+adapter into the socket with both semicircular grooves facing away from those 2 little green things, then all I hear is hiss EXCEPT for when I turn off the M-Stage; then for about a half-second I will actually hear the song that I'm playing but it fades as the power fades.

Uhhhhh, help?!?!? Are my OPA602BP bad? I have no clue what to do.

UPDATE: Sent Mad Max a PM and he very promptly was able to help me fix my problem (thank you so much for all of your help MM!!!). I don't think I studied the adapter closely enough when I received it because I had not noticed that the adapter designates the correct orientation for the opamps... I musta had it switched around backwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back