Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Nov 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #2,056 of 5,176

Quote:
Welcome :)

Glad to see more people are doing it. Make sure you check the DC on your source.

It's zero, I checked.
Every Stage fan should try this tweak, 'cos the price is right.
thanks for asking   :)

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #2,057 of 5,176

Quote:
I love ISL55001.  Never tried it with Class A biasing.  How does it compare to not having class A biasing?

To reduce how much "radical" equalization you need, I recommend that you dampen those resonances in your K701.  The improvement in the midrange and treble may blow your mind, but you sacrifice a little bit of bass impact.

The class a is one that Topflight Ron sent me to try out for the D10. Its great in the D10 but amazing in the M-Stage so there it stays. I dont have one un-biased so I cant compare sorry. Ron will be able to tell you.
I did try some of those "friend or foe" fabric ring mods that I saw a while ago but preferred some precise EQ. I'd like to give yours a try though. Ill let you know what I think!

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #2,059 of 5,176

Quote:
I have the LME49710HA and I like it a lot, but I am getting curious about the OPA627 as well. What are your experiences about how they differ? Have you tried biasing them into Class-A?

OPA627 was very very transparent. There was more bass quantity in general, and a lot of punch in the midbass regions, Larger soundstage but treble was too sharp for me. Vocals were clear but emotionless...well the entire thing was sorta emotionless anyways. Extremely aggressive and cold sound. Heaps of dynamics.

LME49710HA is a lot less clear, with smaller soundstage (still big). Laid back, in fact very laid back imo. Less dynamics, but more emotional and warm.

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #2,060 of 5,176

Quote:
OPA627 was very very transparent. There was more bass quantity in general, and a lot of punch in the midbass regions, Larger soundstage but treble was too sharp for me. Vocals were clear but emotionless...well the entire thing was sorta emotionless anyways. Extremely aggressive and cold sound. Heaps of dynamics.

LME49710HA is a lot less clear, with smaller soundstage (still big). Laid back, in fact very laid back imo. Less dynamics, but more emotional and warm.

Very interesting, from reading the thread, I was getting the impression that the OPA627 was the more laid back, darker sounding opamp and the LME49710HA was to the brighter side of tonality. Thanks for your impressions!

Out of curiosity, where did you buy your OPA627?

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #2,061 of 5,176

Quote:
The class a is one that Topflight Ron sent me to try out for the D10. Its great in the D10 but amazing in the M-Stage so there it stays. I dont have one un-biased so I cant compare sorry. Ron will be able to tell you.
I did try some of those "friend or foe" fabric ring mods that I saw a while ago but preferred some precise EQ. I'd like to give yours a try though. Ill let you know what I think!

Oh I see.  ISL55001/55002 requires very, very clean power and thus tends to sound its best in desktop gear.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #2,062 of 5,176
Farnell...cost me a crap load unfortunately since the price of opamps jumped by so much suddenly! 

Oh by the way, just so you know I'm listening from a W5000. Vocals were too emotionless and dry for my tastes. None of the opamps are dark! Ones forward and the others laid back.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #2,064 of 5,176
Nov 23, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #2,065 of 5,176
Hello friends, I need your knowledge.
 I have a Asus Essence STX sound card and Sennheiser HD6550. I wonder if this couple could work well with an M-Stage Matrix. If this sounds like a good choice, is there a vendor in particular that trust? Are there changes to be made for the Matrix sounds great?
Thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #2,066 of 5,176
Nov 23, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #2,067 of 5,176

Quote:
"The M-stage is a fairly basic headphone amp".

I guess they arent hoping to sell too many of these things.

"Fairly basic" is not necessarily a bad thing as a descriptive.  If it performs at the same level as the original M-stage, but offers the convenience of a usb dac I think it will do well.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #2,068 of 5,176
That description is terrible if you wanted to sell something. I wonder if Matrix also cloned the Lehmann BCL USB's dac as well? 

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #2,070 of 5,176

Quote:
That description is terrible if you wanted to sell something. I wonder if Matrix also cloned the Lehmann BCL USB's dac as well? 

Not sure about the USB dac, but I think the description of the Matrix is pretty accurate actually.  It IS a fairly basic headphone amp that performs very well for the price.  Just mho of course.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back