Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jul 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #556 of 5,176
Hi. Can someone explain to me the dip switch settings? The instructions that came with the amp were in Chinese and minimal at best. I'm running HD-650s and have set the #1 dip switch to the on position on each side.

It sounds pretty good so far, but I'm worried that I may have the gain set too high.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #558 of 5,176
mmm...eagerly anticipating this DAC that Matrix are coming up with...itchy fingers.

Jul 8, 2010 at 10:27 AM Post #560 of 5,176
Jul 8, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #561 of 5,176

[size=medium]
Just wanted to post some impressions on use of this amp with Beyer DT 800/600 and Grado RS1i. Just quickly on the Beyer you definitely need the 20 gain setting on and even then it's not as loud as my WA3+. As far as the RS1i to me the highs are just too shrill. I have to adjust my volume during songs to save my ears. I don't tend to listen loud either. I am using the 10db gain setting. This may get better with more burn in. 
[/size]

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #563 of 5,176
Then again we haven't heard a word from Jeffrey in awhile...

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #564 of 5,176

Quote:

Just wanted to post some impressions on use of this amp with Beyer DT 800/600 and Grado RS1i. Just quickly on the Beyer you definitely need the 20 gain setting on and even then it's not as loud as my WA3+. As far as the RS1i to me the highs are just too shrill. I have to adjust my volume during songs to save my ears. I don't tend to listen loud either. I am using the 10db gain setting. This may get better with more burn in. 

I use the 10DB with the T1 and Denon D7000 and 701 works well on myamp.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #565 of 5,176
Quote:

[size=medium]
[/size]

I agree 20DB is a little extreme, you should be at ear splitting levels. I also think you might be introducing some distortion and noise at that level of amplification. Do you have the volume of your source all the way up?

Jul 9, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #566 of 5,176

Quote:
I agree 20DB is a little extreme, you should be at ear splitting levels. I also think you might be introducing some distortion and noise at that level of amplification. Do you have the volume of your source all the way up?

No the volume is about 2-3 o'clock compared to the Woo at 10 for normal listening. It's not a huge deal I just like the Woo more with the DT880. I just sold it though and ordered a MAD Ear+ HD so for now the Matrix is my only amp. I like the Matrix and will definitely be staying with me. I love the amp with my Shure 750DJ. 

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #568 of 5,176
@ Dudefromearth - It doesn't have a user selectable option built into the amp if that's what you're asking, but long as you tell him which you need he will take care of it for you so you get the correct one.
normal_smile .gif

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #569 of 5,176

Quote:

[size=medium]
 As far as the RS1i to me the highs are just too shrill. 
[/size]

Just curious, have the amp's highs smoothed out with further use? With the brighter Grado's, you can always change op-amps. OPA2604 gives a dark sound. JRC4556 with its warmth and attentuated treble work well too.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #570 of 5,176

Quote:
L3000.gif

I think that pretty much seals the deal for people with loads of cans and it's a very important feature of the amp.

Yep. I'm finally listening to it with my 225i's and it gives them more energy and speed than my EF-1. They do sound more shrilly, but only on bright material at high volume levels. It's better than the more muffled and rolled off sound of the EF-1 imo.

Quote:
Here is a summary:

• OPA2107 - Some consider it a baby 2 channel OPA627. One of my favorites overall but didn't work well in this setu[. Very clear and clean sounding.  Too airy - typically, I like to pair up the OPA2107 up with grungy sounding driver stages. This opamp didn't work well because of the combination of the PS1000's inherent U curve (treble bump) and cleanliness of the driver stage. But I'm thinking the OPA2107 would work well with Denons and Senn 650s.
  • JRC4556 - Actually not bad in terms of sound balance - warm with attenuated treble. There is a reason why Grado uses this cheap chip in the RA1. Ultimately not as fast or clear as the others.
  • OPA2604 - Dark sounding - a little bit nasal. This didn't work at all.
  • OPA2111 - Very similar to stock OPA2134. I think the bass is a tad less tubby compared to OPA2134, but less in volume.

Hoping to get some OPA627s mounted on an adapter. This would probably be the sound I would be looking for. In closing, I think this amp belongs more on the "musical" (I hate using this term) side than the "straight wire with gain" side.

Thanks for that!

One reason I got this amp over some others was because it is easy to roll opamps with it. Several users said I wouldn't care to, that it sounds so good stock, and so far they are right! But it's nice to know the option is there and I might want to experiment myself sometime.

Quote:
Could you please post your impressions with the Grado phones, since I currently own the Grado Sr225i and am considering buying this amp, since it seems to be an all rounder, unlike certain amps that are nly good for certain impedences (like the LD 1+).

See above. It sounds good. It doesn't hide the 225i's brightness, but I don't find it over bearing. And it makes them rock more than my EF-1 does.

Quote:
In regards to the more traditional Grado's such as the SR225, one thing I maybe didn't mention is that if you are looking for an warm amp that attenuates the treble a bit, the M-Stage certainly is not it.

Yep. It reveals the SS of cans, it doesn't hide it under "warmth".

Quote:
 with the M-Stage, it was like the K701 started taking steroids. I'm very pleased

Oh yea, it's made mine open up and sing.
k701smile.gif

Quote:
 the new version is probably quieter (less noise).

I have heard no noise to speak of in my version one. Black, dead quiet, even turned all the way up. If you are talking about background hiss.

Quote:
First Impressions of my "Lovely Cube" are up!

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501046/first-impressions-lovely-cube-semi-diy-amp-lehmann-black-cube-linear-clone

In short, it sounds fantastic, if want to save a little and have some DIY experience!

Congrats! Looks like a fun and money saving project!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back