Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jul 4, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #544 of 5,176

Something just sounds "off" when A/Bed with my Compass (both fed by the V-DAC). I can't figure out what it is. Maybe the amp just needs more time.

Fluff, do they sound "off" with every pair of phones you have?

Can we hear more M-Stage "MK2" impressions? It is very new after all, and we have one potentially negative future review for it so far...

-----------EDIT------------

Aparently Fluff is the only one so far having any "off" issues or giving possibly negative feedback :)

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #545 of 5,176
^ my impressions a few pages back were with the MK2 version (encapsulated toroid on the longer length PCB). There was certainly nothing "off" about the sound of mine compared to any of my other amps. It sounded great straight out of the box and its sound has gotten smoother (and perhaps a little bit more detailed and faster) since then. I purchased the M-Stage based on project86's original review and excellent description of its qualities; it has exactly met my expectations of it.

Jul 4, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #546 of 5,176

Quote:
Thanks for the reply purrin. Atm, the main contenders are this one and the Schiit Asgard, since they are both within the same price range.

In regards to the more traditional Grado's such as the SR225, one thing I maybe didn't mention is that if you are looking for an warm amp that attenuates the treble a bit, the M-Stage certainly is not it. My intention was to run the M-Stage with my Sony X which itself is a warm source - which has resulted in exactly what I was looking for. The HF2 and PS1000 aren't as trebly compared to other Grado's. So again, your mileage could vary. Just something to think about since you are also considering the Schiit.

Jul 4, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #547 of 5,176
Thanks project86 for the review.

I really appreciate it that you compared this to the Luxman P-1u.
Reason is; I happened to have tried out my current headphones, W1000x, with the Luxman and really liked it. I have also tried the Lehmann and thought that they sounded somewhat similar and your review seemed to suggest that I'd like the M-Stage.

Before I make the plunge, anyone hear has tried the M-Stage with the W1000x or similar cans?

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #548 of 5,176
Thank's project86 or the review and everyone else for the copious feedback on this thread. I just received mine a few days ago and I'm currently enjoying it with my K701. It sounds great out of the box with the source straight out of my iMac (no DAC).

Jul 4, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #549 of 5,176

Quote:
Thank's project86 or the review and everyone else for the copious feedback on this thread. I just received mine a few days ago and I'm currently enjoying it with my K701. It sounds great out of the box with the source straight out of my iMac (no DAC).

how'd you find it in comparison to the MingDa overall if you don't mind me asking?

Jul 4, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #550 of 5,176
Hi all,  just wondering if M-Stage is better than the built-in amp on Lavry Da11. I intend to get M-Stage to drive my HD650 as Da11 isnt that great for driving HD650 (is good but not great). 

Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Jul 4, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #551 of 5,176

I assume you got the new version of the M-Stage?  I just placed an order for one earlier today to use with my k701 as well. 
Quote:

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #552 of 5,176

Quote:
how'd you find it in comparison to the MingDa overall if you don't mind me asking?

I don't have the audio terms for it, but for some reason, the Ming Da sounds more laid back than the M-Stage. I mainly use the K701 on both amps, and to a limited extent, the ER4P (or EER4S S -- with 75 ohm impedance adapter). Neither amp does much for my Grados and M50s.

Music seems to sound faster and more rousing on the M-Stage than the Ming Da (or the amp for that matter). On the Ming Da, I also swapped in the free JJ Tesla EL34 tubes, and it actually does sound smoother. The Ming Da is the more powerful amp of course. It's warmer, and very pleasant and musical. The M-Stage though, when I first used it with the K701, made me think that this was really how I expected the K701 to sound (lots of detail, huge soundstage).

I really have yet to make more detailed impressions, but I was quite surprised with the M-Stage right out of the box. I would say the sound quality is on par with the Ming Da, and the M-Stage doesn't have as much burn-in time as the Ming Da, so if burn-in does work with amps, perhaps the M-Stage would get even better. (I've become a believer in headphone burn-in for full-size headphone, at least, as I've experienced significant sound changes I both the K701 and the M50s)

I'll try to get more impressions soon...

Quote:
I assume you got the new version of the M-Stage?  I just placed an order for one earlier today to use with my k701 as well. 

Yup it's the new version. I think you'll be happy with it. I was happy with the K701 *without* amping (that is until the bass suddenly disappeared after 150 hours or so and than just as mysteriously resurfaced later), but with the M-Stage, it was like the K701 started taking steroids. I'm very pleased, although again, I'll be trying to take more notes between the M-Stage and the Ming Da.

Jul 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #555 of 5,176
^ It looks like the changes with the new version are an encapsulated power supply mounted on a longer PCB board extending to the input jacks - thus no more external wires from the input jack into the board. I doubt the sound quality would change, but the new version is probably quieter (less noise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back