Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jun 29, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #511 of 5,176
Just curious if you guys think it would pair better with the HD 600s as opposed to HD 650. I'll be picking up one of them soon.

Jun 29, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #514 of 5,176
I just received the M-Stage "Mk2" and am setting it up now. Expect impressions soon!

First edit: Initial impressions versus the Compass. The M-Stage brings a larger soundstage and a scary level of command over transient response. Listening to Infected Mushroom, everything seems to be tighter.

#2: Also, it seems like this amp needs a bit of burn-in. Or maybe it is just my ears. This is a different sound than with which I am familiar.

#3: I'm going to have to hold off more impressions until tomorrow. I need to let this sound really sink in. I also have to try the Denons. :D

Jun 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #515 of 5,176
Thanks fluffygdog95. I'm particularly interested in your followup impressions since M-Stage and Audio-gd FUN are my top two upgrade choices, with Nuforce HDP right around there as well.

Jun 29, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #516 of 5,176
ditto

Hoping to place an order for one of these soon too.  Probably will once I know when I can actually be around when the delivery guy comes knocking.  Always great to hear the first impressions though.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #517 of 5,176

Quote:
This looks like a Lehman clone to me.  Just a lot more affordable.  Does Lehman have anything to do with this project, or it's just a clone?

I haven't read anything about Lehman having anything to do with the amp...A clone is all, albeit a very good one.  Perhaps someone knows something different.

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #518 of 5,176

Quote:
Hey did you guys with the M-Stage and Beyer DT880 / 600ohms get a chance to test the combo? Will one of you please report on the little details of...it? :wink:

Not quite the DT880 - 600ohms, but today I just received my new DT990 - 600ohms - after about 3-4 hours of some burn-in I am listening through the M-Stage for the first time. I wasn't sure how it would handle the 600ohm phones - have my gain at 10 for my k701s and D2000s - and would like to keep a common gain and not have to switch for each phone unless I have to. My initial first impression is that I am incredibly impressed. Volume wise I just need to bump it up to 1:30-ish - my Denon and AKGs are at 10 o'clock with the Matrix on 10 gain. Controlled, quiet, smooth and really a beautiful soundstage - I do not notice any recessed mids some talk about with these phones.

I've always wanted some Beyers - chose the 990s over the 880s because I wanted a little more on the low end - with strong highs and thought the 880s may be too similar to my k701s. It's early early but I think I'm gonna really love these - they seem to be a combo of what I love about both the Denons and the AKGs - really beautiful detail (esp. on the high end) while some great thump on the low end. Hopefully I'm not being redundant owning these 3 - if so - I'll just sell the one that gets the least head time.

In summary after a first listen - the M-Stage handles these 600ohm Beyers just like I thought it would - this should be a superb match!   

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:01 AM Post #519 of 5,176
Thinking about grabbing this myself, what would be a good DAC to pair it with? as part of a future desktop PC setup.

There was mention of a new DAC a few pages back, so maybe I should just wait until then.

Jun 30, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #520 of 5,176
Matrix also makes a D/A amp combo called Mini-i. The DAC seems to be a knock-off of Bel Canto much like M-Stage is of Lehmann BCL. It is supposed to be pretty awesome bang for the buck as well. I just wish they had a version where you are only paying for the DAC and not the headphone stage, but at $320 I guess I'm splitting hairs.

Also, CFG mentioned a few days ago that they are announcing a new DAC in the next week or so. We'll see...

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #521 of 5,176

Quote:
Thinking about grabbing this myself, what would be a good DAC to pair it with? as part of a future desktop PC setup.

There was mention of a new DAC a few pages back, so maybe I should just wait until then.

So a very popular $300ish mid-fi standalone DAC that you could get to match your standalone $300ish mid-fi standalone AMP (standalone: because I personally wouldn't pair an amp/dac combo with a standalone one or the other) is the Musical Fidelity V-DAC - it is incredible an bang/buck ratio. An ever-so slight step up in quality but bigger step up in price is the Cambridge Dacmagic. The V-DAC was definitely the obvious choice for me and my budget and high SQ requirements.

Read the V-DAC vs Dacmagic post for opinions:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/409435/it-begs-to-be-asked-v-dac-or-dacmagic

More V-DAC opinions:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/391721/musical-fidelity-v-dac-owners

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #522 of 5,176

Quote:
Not quite the DT880 - 600ohms, but today I just received my new DT990 - 600ohms - after about 3-4 hours of some burn-in I am listening through the M-Stage for the first time. I wasn't sure how it would handle the 600ohm phones - have my gain at 10 for my k701s and D2000s - and would like to keep a common gain and not have to switch for each phone unless I have to. My initial first impression is that I am incredibly impressed. Volume wise I just need to bump it up to 1:30-ish - my Denon and AKGs are at 10 o'clock with the Matrix on 10 gain. Controlled, quiet, smooth and really a beautiful soundstage - I do not notice any recessed mids some talk about with these phones.

I've always wanted some Beyers - chose the 990s over the 880s because I wanted a little more on the low end - with strong highs and thought the 880s may be too similar to my k701s. It's early early but I think I'm gonna really love these - they seem to be a combo of what I love about both the Denons and the AKGs - really beautiful detail (esp. on the high end) while some great thump on the low end. Hopefully I'm not being redundant owning these 3 - if so - I'll just sell the one that gets the least head time.

In summary after a first listen - the M-Stage handles these 600ohm Beyers just like I thought it would - this should be a superb match!   

I've been looking at the both of those Beyers for some time. I may just have to try the 990's (seemed to fit my SS preferences over the 880's too) soon.

That's what's great about this amp, I feel I can match about any can with it that I wish to own.

Jun 30, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #523 of 5,176

Quote:

I've been looking at the both of those Beyers for some time. I may just have to try the 990's (seemed to fit my SS preferences over the 880's too) soon.

That's what's great about this amp, I feel I can match about any can with it that I wish to own.

L3000.gif

I think that pretty much seals the deal for people with loads of cans and it's a very important feature of the amp.

Quote:

you might want to double check if you really have them at 10 gain lol. I feel that at 10 o'clock, though it's listenable, it is rather soft still and I think the 'oompf/musicality', to me (seeing that I'm probably half deaf already'), really kicks in at 12 o'clock with the gain set at 10 db.

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #524 of 5,176

Quote:

Get someone to build you a Gamma2?

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #525 of 5,176

Quote:
you might want to double check if you really have them at 10 gain lol. I feel that at 10 o'clock, though it's listenable, it is rather soft still and I think the 'oompf/musicality', to me (seeing that I'm probably half deaf already'), really kicks in at 12 o'clock with the gain set at 10 db.

Haha - No - I have actually made a concerted effort to listen to my music at lower levels so I can still listen when I get "up there" in years. Sometimes I have a craving to juice it up a bit - I just resist the urge now. Obviously depends on the actual phones I'm using...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back