Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jul 23, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #589 of 5,176
very nice review. $275 SS + well scalable and can handle anything = sounds like a winner to me !

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #590 of 5,176

Quote:
. By the way, does this amplifier need burn in and for how long?

I don't believe in burn in, so no.
biggrin.gif
Just listen to it and get used to it's sound signature. It's a nice one, musical and clear. Listening to it right now with the 702's and it sounds great!
k701smile.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #591 of 5,176

Quote:
Just ordered my M-Stage to go with my K701. Can't wait for it!

Congrats! I think you will like the combo.
k701smile.gif

Love your avatar btw...I actually asked my gf to do one like that for me but no way that is going to happen! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
very nice review. $275 SS + well scalable and can handle anything = sounds like a winner to me !

I think so.
smile.gif

Jul 23, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #592 of 5,176
Yes, it already sound excellent when I hear it now. But it will always be great if it can improve further
dt880smile.png

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #593 of 5,176

Quote:
Yes, it already sound excellent when I hear it now. But it will always be great if it can improve further
dt880smile.png

For sure.
L3000.gif

Imo it gets "better" by more listening because you keep picking up the things it does so well (from easily detectable ones--like the articulate bass--to smaller flourishes/nuances) and find nothing it does badly.

Jul 23, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #594 of 5,176

Quote:
For sure.
L3000.gif

Imo it gets "better" by more listening because you keep picking up the things it does so well (from easily detectable ones--like the articulate bass--to smaller flourishes/nuances) and find nothing it does badly.

Exactly, now I find so many song/music that I didn't like before is actually very good. There are just so many detail/soundstage/etc that didn't show up in my previous $20ish earbud and mae the songs sounds boring. Now with improvement (to which is a very great improvement since within a month I get my self my first DAC in life(monitor 02 US), my first amp in my life(matrix m stage) and my first high rank headphone in my life(K701).) these sony just transform itself!!!! (While 6 Franklin just run away from my home
very_evil_smiley.gif
)  Now I am digging my own music database hard to discover more good music from it.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #596 of 5,176
Well, I tried out my friend's M-stage and enjoyed it. I'm still not entirely sure I hear as huge of a difference as he claims, but I broke down and purchased one, since that sale was ending last night.
Picked up a mk2 for $253.41. Now I hope it's worth it. Damn it, head-fi..

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #597 of 5,176

Quote:
Well, I tried out my friend's M-stage and enjoyed it. I'm still not entirely sure I hear as huge of a difference as he claims, but I broke down and purchased one, since that sale was ending last night.
Picked up a mk2 for $253.41. Now I hope it's worth it. Damn it, head-fi..

I got the version 1 for $248 shipped and I think it's worth it.

With more and more listening you should appreciate it more and more imo. The little nuances and flourishes you missed before in your music stand out more. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #598 of 5,176

Quote:
Exactly, now I find so many song/music that I didn't like before is actually very good. There are just so many detail/soundstage/etc that didn't show up in my previous $20ish earbud and mae the songs sounds boring. Now with improvement (to which is a very great improvement since within a month I get my self my first DAC in life(monitor 02 US), my first amp in my life(matrix m stage) and my first high rank headphone in my life(K701).) these sony just transform itself!!!! (While 6 Franklin just run away from my home
very_evil_smiley.gif
)  Now I am digging my own music database hard to discover more good music from it.

That's the mark of "hi-fi" imo, the ability to make songs or material that is not all that exciting on a "low/mid-fi" setup grab you.

For instance, I've long been a fan of Peter Gabriel...at least his hits. I finally got all of his albums and so have been going through them all with the Matrix and 702's (and my new speakers). Songs that I would skip before on albums I've had for years because they were "boring" I'm finding are actually very intricate, detailed, and interesting, NOT because of the direct drive of the song, but because of all the little nuances and flourishes brought out in the material by better gear.

So with albums I've long had I'm rediscovering the "skippers" on them, finding myself going "Oh, this IS an interesting song" and appreciating all the little details that make it so that when I last listened to the same song (years ago in some instances) and I had lower-fi gear, I just could not appreciate.

It's great to have a setup that makes you want to listen to material you haven't in years or ever really have, to see how it sounds with it. And of course doing the same with material you've always liked and hearing it brought up a notch by your new gear is wonderful as well.
k701smile.gif

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #600 of 5,176

Quote:
So did you get slapped in the face?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Lol, no, we were playing around (her topless) and I grabbed my 702's and said they would make a good top lol. She was like yea right, and I said well better than the 225i's! Those are small and uncomfortable! Then she "tried them on" and I threatened to take a picture and that's when I got the Nope! Not going to happen! attitude. So I left it alone. If I did have the pic I'd never post it on the internets anyway, whether she cared or not...I do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back