Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Apr 5, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #1,591 of 5,176
It is simple too change the op amp it is just plug and play, and you can buy some op amps from coolfungadget(jtam) he has some op amps that you can try out.

On the website he also have class  A biasing mode adapter and op amps that is already in class A. Hope this makes some sense:)

Have a look for your self its easier that way:)

And btw here is the link too the web page:

http://coolfungadget.com/store/

The sound changes if you roll op amps and i am really satisfied with the Lm4562 in class A and i am really in love with this amp now.

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #1,592 of 5,176
I used to be somewhat skeptical also about opamp rolling, but I'm not anymore.  Having tried different opamps in the STX and in the Matrix, I feel it does indeed make a big improvement depending on source and headphones.  IMHO, if one is using headphones without much soundstage (Grado 60 for example) then an opamp change would not be as big a change as it would be to someone with headphones that have a larger soundstage.  Even my Grado 325is shows a very nice improvement with opamp upgrades in the Matrix.  I upgraded to 2xOPA627AP biased into class A, and the biggest changes I noticed were that the sound was much clearer, more detailed, with better bass control and high frequency extension and linearity, and it simply sounds more like the music is all around me -- with the stock Matrix, the sound felt more confined to the left or right extremes and sounded a bit "fuzzy".  In other words, bigger, more open soundstage.  When I tried a LM4562 I plucked from my old Prelude sound card (non-class-A), it gave electric guitars this undeniable crunchiness that I just loved, though I definitely prefer the OPA627s overall.  My source is not world class either; simply a Musiland Monitor 02 US.

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #1,593 of 5,176

Quote:
I used to be somewhat skeptical also about opamp rolling, but I'm not anymore.  Having tried different opamps in the STX and in the Matrix, I feel it does indeed make a big improvement depending on source and headphones.  IMHO, if one is using headphones without much soundstage (Grado 60 for example) then an opamp change would not be as big a change as it would be to someone with headphones that have a larger soundstage.  Even my Grado 325is shows a very nice improvement with opamp upgrades in the Matrix.  I upgraded to 2xOPA627AP biased into class A, and the biggest changes I noticed were that the sound was much clearer, more detailed, with better bass control and high frequency extension and linearity, and it simply sounds more like the music is all around me -- with the stock Matrix, the sound felt more confined to the left or right extremes and sounded a bit "fuzzy".  In other words, bigger, more open soundstage.  When I tried a LM4562 I plucked from my old Prelude sound card (non-class-A), it gave electric guitars this undeniable crunchiness that I just loved, though I definitely prefer the OPA627s overall.  My source is not world class either; simply a Musiland Monitor 02 US.

I almost had the same experience my self i did not think that a little op- amp could change the sound that much but it did on my Asus stx and on matrix in class a it was a major difference.

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #1,594 of 5,176
Can not wait for this amp to arrive. 
I've ordered mine, and it's been shipped. Ordered the class a opamp today (627) together with a headphone stand as well. 

Going to use the amp on my Denon 7000s, but I'm really pondering purchasing a pair of hd800 as well, just because I'm really curious about how they sound and what the fit is like. 

Been a pleasure dealing with coolfungadget, and I'm really looking forward to getting the amp after all the rave from the forum :)

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #1,595 of 5,176
Thanks guys, I know there is some kind of magic they put in these little boxes to get them to sound so good.

One reason I haven't messed with the opamp swamp is because there is so many options and I keep hearing class a is the best, but frankly I have no idea what that even means besides that it requires a mod to the amp. I don't want to solder, although it seems they are plug and play, like, as said, you attach an adapter and then try a class a opamp. But then I would not know which opamp(s) is generally regarded as the best without reading dozens of pages in here. Although I guess I could just try any of them sold on that site (I have known of it, just been putting all this off lol).

I've got to start some investigation. I like clarity and detail above all else, and don't like coloration or "warmth" much (the stock Matrix sounds a bit warm, yet still neutral, somehow "musical" with still being pretty resolving/transparent). Oh yea, my source is a DACMagic.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #1,596 of 5,176
I don't have a scooby do what class A bias means either,  I just went for the Burr Brown OPA627AP with Class A Bias Mod from TAMs audio store , it was a bit of an impulse buy and normally I would spend an age researching but If Tam sells them I'm sure its a worth while purchase... also plug and play is my kind of Mod :D

Apr 6, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #1,597 of 5,176
You won't be dissappointed, I think the stock m-stage sounds congested and veiled in comparison.

-Daniel

Quote:
I don't have a scooby do what class A bias means either,  I just went for the Burr Brown OPA627AP with Class A Bias Mod from TAMs audio store , it was a bit of an impulse buy and normally I would spend an age researching but If Tam sells them I'm sure its a worth while purchase... also plug and play is my kind of Mod :D

Apr 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #1,598 of 5,176
I'll have to try opamp rolling sometime then, I have been listening to the stock M-Stage for almost a month and am loving it so far. Never been much of a modder but if its as simple as plug and play then I'm definitely gonna give it a try.

Quote:
You won't be dissappointed, I think the stock m-stage sounds congested and veiled in comparison.

-Daniel

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #1,599 of 5,176
Apr 6, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #1,600 of 5,176
Apr 7, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #1,602 of 5,176

Quote:
So I guess what I need to do is to order the $30 627 opamp class a mod then on this page:

http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=39_46

I guess the $20 one isn't plug and play? Or it is, but not a double opamp setup? Why would I need 2 opamps? Yea I'm confused and not a techie sorry.

It's two opamps because they are mono opamps. Therefore you need two for stereo sound. The OPA627 is a mono opamp. Class A Bias uses a resistor to bias the opamp into class A. If you buy the adaptor you can plug certain opamps in to bias them.

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #1,603 of 5,176
It's funny reading the first half of this thread, vs the last half.  In the first half you have glowing comments about the M-Stage and in the second half, the amp doesn't sound all that great on its own and has to be upgraded.  I have to wonder if the V1 and V2 really are different sounding.

Anyway, I have some questions:

1)  Is http://coolfungadget.com (Tam's Audio) a legit site?  I notice it's cheaper to order from there, vs Ebay, and I just want to make sure this is actually CFG's site.

2)  Does CFG declare these at the full value?  I'm in Canada and I can't afford to pay a dime more on this.

3)  Does the M-Stage run hot?  I don't like buying electronics that run hot because they never last as long.

4)  Right now I just have a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones and I'm wondering which gain setting to use with them.

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #1,604 of 5,176
It's funny reading the first half of this thread, vs the last half.  In the first half you have glowing comments about the M-Stage and in the second half, the amp doesn't sound all that great on its own and has to be upgraded.  I have to wonder if the V1 and V2 really are different sounding.

Anyway, I have some questions:

1)  Is http://coolfungadget.com (Tam's Audio) a legit site?  I notice it's cheaper to order from there, vs Ebay, and I just want to make sure this is actually CFG's site.

2)  Does CFG declare these at the full value?  I'm in Canada and I can't afford to pay a dime more on this.

3)  Does the M-Stage run hot?  I don't like buying electronics that run hot because they never last as long.

4)  Right now I just have a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones and I'm wondering which gain setting to use with them.

Thanks!

1. Yes.
2. I am flexible on that.
3. It runs warm. 60'C insides and 40-50'C outside. When room temp is 25'C.
4. It really depends on your ears. Try it yourself.

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #1,605 of 5,176
Cool, thanks for the super quick reply!

Another question...Can I use the input 1/2 switch while listening to sources?  Sometimes I like to compare CD players and switch back and forth.  Will I get a POP noise when doing this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back