Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Mar 30, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #1,576 of 5,176
My opinion is similar to purrin. No one would refute the performance and quality of the Lehmann BCL. Without the BCL, there would be no Matrix or Lovely Cube.
The only drawback is the price of the BCL. At close to $800, there is quite a profit margin (gouging), including R&D costs. It is not a complex 'rocket science' type of device, which leaves lots of room for imitations and copies. If the BCL retails for $400 or so, most people would have no problem paying the premium for the real deal. But for the price of Lehmann BCL = HD650 + Matrix, most people would go for the second option.
With the option of Opamp rolling in the Matrix, you can choose the sound signature that suit you taste, for very modest cost. An AD797 or LM4562 might just be the ticket with the HD650.

Mar 30, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #1,577 of 5,176

Quote:
My opinion is similar to purrin. No one would refute the performance and quality of the Lehmann BCL. Without the BCL, there would be no Matrix or Lovely Cube.
The only drawback is the price of the BCL. At close to $800, there is quite a profit margin (gouging), including R&D costs. It is not a complex 'rocket science' type of device, which leaves lots of room for imitations and copies. If the BCL retails for $400 or so, most people would have no problem paying the premium for the real deal. But for the price of Lehmann BCL = HD650 + Matrix, most people would go for the second option.
With the option of Opamp rolling in the Matrix, you can choose the sound signature that suit you taste, for very modest cost. An AD797 or LM4562 might just be the ticket with the HD650.

I believe that is todays price.  I seem to remember the BCL being somewhere around $1200 when they first came out.

Apr 1, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #1,579 of 5,176
My Matrix is on sale if anyone is interested 

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #1,581 of 5,176
He fecked it up. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #1,582 of 5,176
I no longer have my low impedance cans but only Orthos and I just got a Lyr. Otherwise I wouldn't sell it. It's a great amp that has served me very well 

Quote:
Do you mind me asking why you sell it?

Apr 2, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #1,585 of 5,176
LCD-2 are fairly easy to drive so I was quite pleased with them pairing with M-Stage but I always thought I might be missing something. My biggest surprise came with my other Orthos, Hifiman HE5 and M-Stage. I thought it wouldn't be able to drive them but lo and behold, it did. But again, I just wanted to use an amp that is specifically designed for Orthos than the Matrix. M-Stage is one heck of an amp and to be honest I think that's the best purchase I've ever made in my life... Truly a bang for the buck 

Apr 3, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #1,586 of 5,176
I have a matrix and my best friend has the BCL. I have spent a CONSIDERABLE amount of time with both. The mstage is a little more warm and the BCL is slightly more analytical compairing stock models. With a simple opamp change the MStage just outclasses the BCL by a long shot. I am using a class A biased LM4562 and loving it. It is amazing the diffrence between the two now. WIth the opamp changed to the 4562 the LCD's just sing. I also really love the combo with my Ultrasone 2500's, 780's , my Grado HF2's and even my Akai orthos. The Mstage is a great amp at any price. If anybody would like to drive on down to Southern MD you can get a free demo of both.

What does my friend who owns the BCL say.................. "DAMN I feel like i got so ripped off". He is looking for someone to solder new opamps onto his BCL board. 

I am looking at getting a custom ortho amp built by   http://jwnamplifiers.vpweb.com/ he can build something at the 500 dollar range that blows EVERYTHING else I have ever heard away. That is of course before you by tubes. I am having him build me an amp that does 10 watts at 32ohms should be a beast!

Sorry got off subject. I would take the Mstage anyday over the BCL with only a simple opamp change bettering the 4 time more expensive amp by no small margin.

Please BCL owners don't flame me. It is what I hear with my own ears and nothing else. I have spent months with both of them and that is my final decision. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #1,587 of 5,176

Quote:

Please BCL owners don't flame me. It is what I hear with my own ears and nothing else. I have spent months with both of them and that is my final decision. 

I would only flame you if I had listened to the Matrix and disagreed with your assessment, but since I've never heard the Matrix I can't compare it to my BCL and therefore have no basis on which to hurl flame balls at you. However, I don't feel ripped off since I love my BCL.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #1,588 of 5,176

Quote:
I have a matrix and my best friend has the BCL. I have spent a CONSIDERABLE amount of time with both. The mstage is a little more warm and the BCL is slightly more analytical compairing stock models. With a simple opamp change the MStage just outclasses the BCL by a long shot. I am using a class A biased LM4562 and loving it. It is amazing the diffrence between the two now. WIth the opamp changed to the 4562 the LCD's just sing. I also really love the combo with my Ultrasone 2500's, 780's , my Grado HF2's and even my Akai orthos. The Mstage is a great amp at any price. If anybody would like to drive on down to Southern MD you can get a free demo of both.

What does my friend who owns the BCL say.................. "DAMN I feel like i got so ripped off". He is looking for someone to solder new opamps onto his BCL board. 

I am looking at getting a custom ortho amp built by   http://jwnamplifiers.vpweb.com/ he can build something at the 500 dollar range that blows EVERYTHING else I have ever heard away. That is of course before you by tubes. I am having him build me an amp that does 10 watts at 32ohms should be a beast!

Sorry got off subject. I would take the Mstage anyday over the BCL with only a simple opamp change bettering the 4 time more expensive amp by no small margin.

This was some interesting comaprisons thanks for sharing.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #1,590 of 5,176

Quote:

Great findings. I don't at all doubt it, because so much high end stuff is overpriced, much is so because otherwise some consumers feel it must not be good because it doesn't cost a lot! Not that much in high end (or even "budget" hi fi) actually has to do with parts cost or anything else. In fact, I for one think the Matrix is overpriced...there is $100 plus at least (more like $150) pure profit even at it's $250 price. Personally I'd never pay more than $300 for a can amp as they are just not worth it to me. I think anything over $100 is a bit silly, but then, when I go out to eat and see a movie with my gf and spend $70 easily for such fleeting enjoyments, well, $300ish for an amp that sounds great and will last for years and I'll continue to enjoy doesn't seem all that bad.

Thanks for the honest review.

PS: I only have the stock M Stage and really need to try some opamps! I've been putting it off because I'm not a DIY'er and because even stock the M Stage sounds great (at least "good enough") for me. That and I'm skeptical as to just how much opamps can change the sound (sort of like tubes that do so only subtly imo).

Quote:
Is the M-stage enough powerful to drive an old AKG K340 ?

Yes lol. At least it drives my 702's just fine. Powerful amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back