Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Jun 12, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #196 of 564
Hey Friends,

I was hoping to avoid making another post on this topic, but given sosolar’s most recent posts, I feel it’s necessary to summarize and clarify the statements and claims made.

Sosolar surfaced in the Massdrop RDAC discussion at the beginning of the week, claiming the RDAC was a copy of his Hibiki project. A lot of people got excited by this, maybe not understanding all the details, but seeing the layouts of the PCBs looked the same, and accepting that as proof of sosolar’s claims.

Seeing that post, we (Massdrop) were surprised to see the similarities as well. We were unfamiliar with the hibiki DAC, and we didn’t play a role in the development of that top PCB, so we reached out to William at Airist. He let us know he wasn’t familiar with the project either, and was reaching out to his engineering manager to get more information (thus the post from William explaining reference designs and saying he was unfamiliar with the hibiki DAC).

At this stage, we needed to get details from the engineering manager and the contract engineers he hired to work on this project. The layouts looked the same as the RDAC, but the arrangement of some parts was different, and the spacing between parts was also different. That’s all we knew at the time. Sosolar continued to feed the discussion, making further claims, and posting details of his project on various discussion boards, talking about releasing a product and gathering feedback. At this point, I had already provided my contact information as a direct response to his comment on our discussion, and received no response.

While this was happening, we were able to speak with the engineering manager from Airist and his contract engineer. The engineer explained his process; initially he was provided with a set of specifications, a mandate for a ladder arrangement that would meet the specs of William’s overall design (the top PCB represents ~25% of the overall RDAC design). Given that mandate, he began searching for reference material, and discovered this reference design posted for free use (says that on the post) in 2014: http://bbs.hifidiy.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=994769

From the basis of this reference design, he looked for examples of layouts that could provide a good baseline, while allowing him to build the underlying structure to serve the purpose of William’s design. Important note here, PCBs have multiple layers, the top board of the RDAC has four. The top layer is where components are positioned, but the content of the other layers determine how those components interact.

At this point, the engineer found the Hibiki DAC, and while the same configuration of parts wouldn’t yield the desired result, the general layout would work for this project, so he used it as a reference and creating the RDAC top PCB layout. This is why it looks the same, and why we subsequently posted as much in our discussion. My wording could have been more direct, but it’s not an exact copy, so “inspired by” seemed like the best option, but ultimately it was more confusing than clarifying. The position of parts is nearly the same, but sosolar continued to post, accusing Airist’s team of reverse engineering the board, which isn’t the case.

From there, still having received no contact from sosolar, I reached out to the email address associated with his Massdrop account, explaining that I’d like to understand exactly what he’s saying, and to understand more about the Hibiki project in general. Now I want to pause here, and make clear an important understanding in professional communication. Emails are intended for the specified recipients, and it’s bad form to break that trust. I won’t be posting screenshots or exact wording from his message, but following sosolar’s most recent posts I feel it’s important to share some of the general themes in our communication.

He responded to my messaging with a development timeline for the Hibiki DAC, starting in June 2015 and ending in July 2016, and demanded that we post a comparable timeline for RDAC development. His timeline had great detail, with lots of links to posts and things of that nature, which makes sense given the Hibiki was developed publicly, with sosolar sharing details with the hifidiy.net community. It’d be nice if posting a timeline would answer the questions at hand, but the RDAC development was private, there are no public posts to verify the statement. Given the many responses from people saying they didn’t believe our previous statements, I didn’t think an unverifiable timeline would answer questions for anybody.

The most important part of Sosolar’s response, was around some parts in the design he said were unnecessary, essentially saying they were stylistic choices on his part, that wouldn’t exist on another board unless the functionality was being copied through a reverse engineering service.

All of these parts which are unnecessary for the HIbiki, but are critical to the function of the RDAC. We answered all of Sosolar’s questions directly, here is the explanation we provided for each of the sections sosolar called out:

For the op amps:

The op amps on the RDAC top board are not just buffers, they are necessary for the operation of a sign-magnitude ladder. The output from a network of so many resistors is very weak, so we have to bring that signal strength up or else further processing will drown it in noise. These op amps do that amplifying, merge the outputs from the positive and negative ladders into one output waveform, and filter out the switching artifacts.

For the large transistors:

Because the R-2R ladder is basically a 48 resistor network on each side, you need a fair amount of current to actually drive the whole thing, not to mention extra overhead.

For the logic switches:

These are the same switches used in the open source schematic posted in 2014, and that is how the engineer picked this part.

Sosolar’s response to this message said that he was waiting for us to post the timeline, followed by a sentence that I think was trying to suggest he wasn’t accusing Airist of reverse engineering and copying the DAC design, but the layout alone (not trying to knock his english, I don’t write a character of chinese, but I couldn’t understand his wording) which would be a change from his previous statements, but I can’t be sure. Hopefully we can talk about this on the phone where mandarin/cantonese speaking team members can remove the language barrier in this technical discussion.

I responded to his message early this morning, hoping to catch him still awake so we could have a call, and in that email I proposed a solution that would give clarity to the community. We could both provide our gerber files to an unbiased third party (I suggested the new editor of IF, guy has no skin in this, and I’ve been asking folks for his contact info today in an effort to reach out and see if he could do this), they can examine the files and tell the community if the RDAC top pcb is a copy of the Hibiki pcb. I haven’t received a response from sosolar, but it’ll be morning in China soon, so hopefully sosolar is game for what seems like a pretty amenable situation.

TL;DR

Overall the layout of parts on the hibiki DAC and the top board of the RDAC are nearly the same. Neither Massdrop or William Tse of Airist was aware of the Hibiki DAC before sosolar’s post on Massdrop. The layout is not 1:1, but it’s clearly close enough where folks feel it’s essentially 1:1. We’ve explained how the hibiki layout was used by Airist’s contract engineer, and hats off to sosolar for creating a layout that works for the RDAC’s execution needs. If he had interest in compensation for this, he has plenty of avenues available to express that, as it stands, it seems he’s more interested in posting about the balanced hibiki he’s releasing this August. The similarities end at that top layer, and we’re glad to provide RDAC files for verification by an unbiased third party.

We’re doing everything we can to resolve this amicably, and we’ll keep trying, hopefully sosolar will engage with us.

In fact, in the R&D phase of electronic equipment, the layout of components of the PCB is mainly determined by the size and structure constraints.

RDAC uses such a large metal chassis. If there is only a small space inside the RDAC to use for the DAC daughter board, it would be too unnatural.

If according to what you said before, RDAC is a completely forward design. Then from the time the RDAC technology prototype schematic is basically completed, the discrete component DAC daughter board of RDAC can be designed with different sizes and methods, and it is not necessary to refer directly to the top layer component layout of Sosolar's hibiki DAC.

However, RDAC uses almost the same component placement methods as the hibiki DACs from the very beginning to the finalization. This made me doubt whether Airist Audio's technical team will do forward design. If they really have the technical staff who can perform these tasks.

Because you mentioned before, the schematics for the RDAC and hibiki DACs can be said to be very similar. Considering that the layout of the components of the discrete device DAC daughter board of the two are basically the same, the traces used as signal interconnections in the two PCBs will definitely converge to the result with little difference.

However, for those engineers who are capable of doing this in the forward design of application circuits, these are completely avoidable.

As for why RDAC is such an awkward result now, I want to make a bold logical reasoning.

The CPLD on the daughter board of RDAC uses the same firmware as hibiki. Therefore, the clock tree compensation processing of the discrete device DAC daughter board circuit in the CPLD firmware of the hibiki DAC must also be applied to the RDAC daughter board in order to ensure the normal operation of the circuit.

In other words, this hypothesis explains why the component layout of the RDAC daughter board has to be almost the same as that of the hibiki DAC.

If Airist Audio's technical team really has the ability to handle the timing compensation issues during discrete device DAC circuit design, then they should be able to directly use their own newly designed, component layout and board size are not so with hibiki DAC A large associated DAC daughter board design.
Then after getting the prototype PCB, they can make targeted clock tree compensation for their newly designed circuit board to ensure the stability of the circuit.
In this situation, NO one will post at all that this is a plagiarism of his own design.

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #197 of 564
I'm not buying your explanation at this point because it sound more like damage control
Well of course it is damage control, which anyone in his position SHOULD do,
But to lay any blame on him IS WRONG, IMO...
BLAME AIRIST..

Since Massdrop has no respect for intellectual property,
That is YOUR assumption and no one elses.

Massdrop can also be viewed as being taken advantage of as well...

Its obvious they did not have knowledge of these problems from beginning.

Too bad MD wasn't careful enough..
It's not bad for them as they didn't do anything wrong...
It may be bad for Airist.

I'm having a hard time blaming MD for this, as they just hired a company to design a product for them. I'm far more upset with Airist for saying "Look at this great thing we made all by ourselves!"
This should be the proper position and view.
Why should the middleman who did all the work be blamed for the top guys who gave him the plans?

However, RDAC uses almost the same component placement methods as the hibiki DACs from the very beginning to the finalization. This made me doubt whether Airist Audio's technical team will do forward design. If they really have the technical staff who can perform these tasks.
This point, is to me,
A very compelling veiwpoint,
that Airist most probably copied the design.
Airist should just admit it , give the original designer the credit, and fire their engineer for decieving them,
And move on...

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #198 of 564
Well of course it is damage control, which anyone in his position SHOULD do,
But to lay any blame on him IS WRONG, IMO...
BLAME AIRIST..

That is YOUR assumption and no one elses.

Massdrop can also be viewed as being taken advantage of as well...

Its obvious they did not have knowledge of these problems from beginning.

It's not bad for them as they didn't do anything wrong...
It may be bad for Airist.

This should be the proper position and view.
Why should the middleman who did all the work be blamed for the top guys who gave him the plans?

This point, is to me,
A very compelling veiwpoint,
that Airist most probably copied the design.
Airist should just admit it , give the original designer the credit, and fire their engineer for decieving them,
And move on...

If I'm in his position I would prevent this and not doing damage control. Put the launch on hold the moment they got alerted to the possible stolen design and do the investigation. How difficult is that? And that's what he SHOULD do! And because MD being greedy and irresponsible hence the little over 200 unit sold instead of all 960 unit gone. IMO

It's a Massdrop Airist "collaboration - an act to work with someone to create something." It has Massdrop's logo on the product. Don't see how MD is not responsible.

Oh, and where's the follow-up? Did someone take up the offer to check the GERBER file? If MD is really sincere about doing legitimate business we should have heard something already don't you think?

But hey who cares. Everyone just wants a cheap piece of hardware and don't give a care if it's stolen. That's what's going on.

Just my 2cents that would never go into MD's coffer.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #199 of 564
If I'm in his position I would prevent this and not doing damage control. Put the launch on hold the moment they got alerted to the possible stolen design and do the investigation. How difficult is that? And that's what he SHOULD do! And because MD being greedy and irresponsible hence the little over 200 unit sold instead of all 960 unit gone. IMO

It's a Massdrop Airist "collaboration - an act to work with someone to create something." It has Massdrop's logo on the product. Don't see how MD is not responsible.

Oh, and where's the follow-up? Did someone take up the offer to check the GERBER file? If MD is really sincere about doing legitimate business we should have heard something already don't you think?

But hey who cares. Everyone just wants a cheap piece of hardware and don't give a care if it's stolen. That's what's going on.

Just my 2cents that would never go into MD's coffer.
Really? What did Massdrop ever do to you to deserve this negative treatment?

It is a joint branding for Massdrop. They are in charge of marketing. They cannot simply stop over things like this.

I agree with Max. IF there is indeed a problem, then Airist should be accountable. Not Massdrop. I remember Airist's first attempt with their Heron at USD2k. Ridiculously overpriced with a lot of mumbo-jumbo tech.

But how can you guys be so sure there is plagiarism here? Are the 2 designs really that similar?

Jun 20, 2018 at 2:54 AM Post #201 of 564
Umm, yes.
I see. I did not look up and am not familiar with the original design.

I still don't think it is Massdrop's responsibility to drop this product. This is a business project that they have spent resources on. it is not so simple to simply drop it. I kinda feel bad for them if anything. This should've been another hit. I did not participate in this drop only because it would be more of a side grade for me. Otherwise, I would gladly join.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #202 of 564
while i see the similarities i do agree with the side that airist should be the ones who take responsibility if there was actual infringement. they are the ones who claim the design and are selling them to massdrop to in turn sell to everyone else. i think if it was up to anyone to change / pull the design it should be airist. while that would screw massdrop and piss off those that want them massdrop is still able to refund people. i doubt airist will do anything it seems, i would also love to see the gerber file be compared. im in for one if it is and different.

Jun 20, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #203 of 564
while i see the similarities i do agree with the side that airist should be the ones who take responsibility if there was actual infringement. they are the ones who claim the design and are selling them to massdrop to in turn sell to everyone else. i think if it was up to anyone to change / pull the design it should be airist. while that would screw massdrop and piss off those that want them massdrop is still able to refund people. i doubt airist will do anything it seems, i would also love to see the gerber file be compared. im in for one if it is and different.
Then after that, Massdrop could settle it with Airist. This is a more sensible approach to me.

Jun 20, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #204 of 564
Granted that this thing looks like a copy, it would probably be easier for Airist's legal team to show breach of contract if MD canceled than for Sosolar or MD to show IP theft. It would be hard for MD to get out without liability. Sure, the Airist/MD contract probably has a negligence or malfeasance clause to absolve MD from performance, but first they have to prove the malfeasance (IP theft), so any way you slice it it's harder if you're MD.

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #205 of 564
Really? What did Massdrop ever do to you to deserve this negative treatment?

It is a joint branding for Massdrop. They are in charge of marketing. They cannot simply stop over things like this.

I agree with Max. IF there is indeed a problem, then Airist should be accountable. Not Massdrop. I remember Airist's first attempt with their Heron at USD2k. Ridiculously overpriced with a lot of mumbo-jumbo tech.

But how can you guys be so sure there is plagiarism here? Are the 2 designs really that similar?

Funny people will jump in to defend MD without knowing the timeline how things unfold and how disingenuous Will and MD are. Are you saying MD is not responsible for anything even when they are aware that Airist might be selling them stolen IP? And making an official announcement stating Airist's board design is not stolen before any investigation or even talked to the original designer? They've "officially" cleared Airist before they even talk to the accuser to get any further information! It's like the judge ask Jeffrey Dahmer did you kill those people? No? Ok, not guilty! How ridiculous and irresponsible is that for a business? How can any decent human being suppose to not see it negatively?

This DAC won't ship until December! When MD got alerted about the possible stolen design the drop is not live yet. How difficult is it to postpone a launch on a product not even in production for another week or two to look into the issue first? But no, Will decided to launch in the midst of the issue ignoring people who questioned about the IP issue. Is that what a responsible company looks like? Not sure about you but I don't think so. The negativity all stamps from the way how arrogant Will and MD handle the situation. If they are really genuine then where're the followups? Did someone check the GERBER file? Did they come to an agreement with all concerned parties? No, nothing, crickets! Why? Let it blow over and no one knows better! It happened 50+ times before (straight from Will's mouth) and that's how they handle it! I wouldn't want to do business with people like that, not even on eBay! That's just me.

For a company who claims to seek out only products that are innovative and only partner with the best of the best in the field. Wait, Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 Headphones! "From Mitchell & Johnson, an exciting new hi-fi company out of London, the MJ2 allows you to enjoy the sound of an electrostatic headphone without having to own a specialized electrostatic amplifier." Oh is Mitchell and Johnson really that smart and developed this on their own on Kickstarter? No! It's a rebadge of a Chinese company with the product ready to ship but pretend to be Kickstarter BS. http://www.verisonix.com/ They fooled people on Kickstarter but Will and MD still touts them on their site!

For all we know the design might not be stolen which would be good news for some. It's the way how Will and MD handle the whole situation that makes them untrustworthy to me. Call me pessimistic. That's all. And not to mention 95% of the time their drop prices are within $10 on Amazon and I don't have to wait for months on my order.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #206 of 564
I'm quite surprised to see your rather negative emotions towards MD. But I'm not gonna judge as I do not fully understand where it came from. And I do have my personal own as well.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to defend MD. I just call like I see it. But I do admit I am not fully aware of the situation as I read through the pages quickly. So pse feel free to disagree or even enlighten me.

If MD really does something that I think breaches my ethical line, believe me, I would stop buying from them too (as I have with one brand). But in my opinion, MD is also a victim here. I imagine myself in their shoes, and it is not in my interest to stop this project over some quibbles. Unless there is a direct threat like a lawsuit.
. Are you saying MD is not responsible for anything even when they are aware that Airist might be selling them stolen IP?
In Will's shoes, I would ask Airist "Bro, did u steal the design or not?". Airist: "Nope. Don't know what you're talking about. It is our design". Now what reasons do I have to back out from my contract with Airist? And if I back out from the deal, am I sufficiently protected from lawsuit from Airist? Doesn't sound like a good position to be in.

How difficult is it to postpone a launch on a product not even in production for another week or two to look into the issue first?
Postponing a business project would be the last thing I would do. Unless there is absolutely no other option. Bosses will kill me. In reality, sometimes it is hard for a business to be 100% ethical. Most companies are not ethical in one way or another. But there is a grey area that I can still accept. And there is also this black line that should not be crossed.

In this case, I still don't see MD crossing this line so far. I think Will did his part to try correct this. So far, we have Will's part of the story, and Sosolar's part of the story. I don't understand why so much negativity towards MD.

For a company who claims to seek out only products that are innovative and only partner with the best of the best in the field.
Jesus. Do you have to take marketing words literally? Everybody in every industry does that, don't they? You think those orange juice are fresh? It says so in the carton. Just don't take them seriously.

Wait, Mitchell & Johnson MJ2 Headphones! "From Mitchell & Johnson, an exciting new hi-fi company out of London, the MJ2 allows you to enjoy the sound of an electrostatic headphone without having to own a specialized electrostatic amplifier." Oh is Mitchell and Johnson really that smart and developed this on their own on Kickstarter? No! It's a rebadge of a Chinese company with the product ready to ship but pretend to be Kickstarter BS. http://www.verisonix.com/ They fooled people on Kickstarter but Will and MD still touts them on their site!

And not to mention 95% of the time their drop prices are within $10 on Amazon
There are a lot of crappy drops in MD that I wouldn't touch with a 10-feet pole. Have u seen those drops with zero purchase? But there are some good ones too. Choose well. Do your research. HD6XX is quite phenomenal, for example. Plus they got discount on shipping!

I have my share of dissatisfaction with MD too. I know the Fostex T-X0 drop was probably to get rid of Fostex's T50rp mk2 stocks before mk3 release. I also bought the JBL 30X just before they dropped the price. I barely did not qualify for the refund they offered. Then voila, the new 305 mk2 arrives. That is probably my worse purchase from Massdrop. God knows my other bad purchase decisions in this hobby. I learnt from it, and become a better buyer.

MD ain't perfect. But there are much worse ones in this block.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #207 of 564
I'm quite surprised to see your rather negative emotions towards MD. But I'm not gonna judge as I do not fully understand where it came from. And I do have my personal own as well.

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to defend MD. I just call like I see it. But I do admit I am not fully aware of the situation as I read through the pages quickly. So pse feel free to disagree or even enlighten me.

If MD really does something that I think breaches my ethical line, believe me, I would stop buying from them too (as I have with one brand). But in my opinion, MD is also a victim here. I imagine myself in their shoes, and it is not in my interest to stop this project over some quibbles. Unless there is a direct threat like a lawsuit.

In Will's shoes, I would ask Airist "Bro, did u steal the design or not?". Airist: "Nope. Don't know what you're talking about. It is our design". Now what reasons do I have to back out from my contract with Airist? And if I back out from the deal, am I sufficiently protected from lawsuit from Airist? Doesn't sound like a good position to be in.

Why would I spend time and effort, and postpone my project, to look for something that will jeopardize my project? Unless I have sufficient worry on an issue. Postponing a business project would be the last thing I would do. Unless there is absolutely no other option. Bosses will kill me.

In reality, sometimes it is hard for a business to be 100% ethical. Most companies are not ethical in one way or another. But there is a grey area that I can still accept. And there is also this black line that should not be crossed. I still don't see MD crossing this line so far. But of course, I may change my mind with more info comes to light.

Jesus. Do you have to take marketing words literally? Everybody in every industry does that, don't they? You think those orange juice are fresh? It says so in the carton. Just don't take them seriously.

There are a lot of crappy drops in MD. Have u seen those drops with zero purchase? But there are some good ones too. Choose well. HD6XX is quite phenomenal, for example.

I have my disatisfaction with MD too. I know the Fostex T-X0 drop was probably to get rid of T50rp mk2 stocks before mk3 release. And I bought the JBL 30X, and then they dropped the price a short while after. I barely did not qualify for the refund.

MD ain't perfect. But there are much worse ones in this block.

I'm not trying to sway your feeling with MD. I stated the facts that I know and based on that I draw my conclusion.

I can see MD being a victim if they were not alerted about the possible stolen IP before they launch. But once they know and choose to ignore it they became a partner in crime. And the series of actions taken by Will and MD looks like a cover-up to me. That's how my ethical standard works.

Judge: "Jeffrey, did you kill those people?" Dehmar: "Nope. Don't know what you're talking about. They kill themselves." Judge: "Trial is over, he didn't do it as he said and there's no need in talking to his accuser. Case dissmissed." Any reasonable person will not ONLY ask Airist but will also talk to the accuser first before making a statement "The RDAC is not a copy of the Hibiki DAC..." But I guess that's too much to ask for nowadays.

Will is one of the co-founders of MD, so I don't think if he postponed the launch for a week or two his "boss" will kill him!

I got the HD6xx, it's awesome, but that has nothing to do with MD, it's Sennheiser not being a shady business. HE4xx? Not so much, I had to take the whole thing apart and reassemble it just so it works the way it should be.

I did not take marketing words literally, I took Will's words literally in his PM to me "explaining" away why he did what he did and there's where I saw a disingenuous individual running a business trying to sweep crap under the rug.

And let's not forget the fact that Will nor MD followed up with the "investigation." Makes me wonder why... But one thing we can be almost sure of is that there will be no legal repercussions even if the design was indeed stolen. The accuser lives in China and his design was never patented. There's no enforcible legal action he can take. And that's why Will and MD did what they did as far as I can reason.

As I said, I made my conclusion base on what I believe is right or wrong and what I've heard and know from Will and MD. And looks like the community spoke too! 1700 CTH sold and this R2R DAC would make a perfect Massdrop stack but yet only a little over 200 units are sold. Maybe I'm not the only one who don't trust MD on this.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #208 of 564
Will is one of the co-founders of MD, so I don't think if he postponed the launch for a week or two his "boss" will kill him!
Noted. In my case, I would indeed get slaughtered unfortunately.

HE4xx? Not so much, I had to take the whole thing apart and reassemble it just so it works the way it should be.
Hahaha. Why am I not surprised?

Judge: "Jeffrey, did you kill those people?" Dehmar: "Nope. Don't know what you're talking about. They kill themselves." Judge: "Trial is over, he didn't do it as he said and there's no need in talking to his accuser. Case dissmissed." Any reasonable person will not ONLY ask Airist but will also talk to the accuser first before making a statement "The RDAC is not a copy of the Hibiki DAC..." But I guess that's too much to ask for nowadays.
MD's role is unfortunately not the Judge here. That would be reserved for the law enforcement. If the plagiarism is indeed true, MD's role would probably be more akin to an accomplice who did not pull the trigger.

The accuser lives in China and his design was never patented.
Why did he not patent it? Didn't he post his designs over the internet?

And let's not forget the fact that Will nor MD followed up with the "investigation.
Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Will offer to compare some gerber files?

As I said, I made my conclusion base on what I believe is right or wrong
Now realistically speaking, why would MD do anything if there is no direct threat? We can't expect businesses to operate out of their moral or ethical obligations, can we? As much as I love for that to happen globally, that wouldn't be realistic, would it? Can you imagine how much better the world would be for all of us and our grandchildren, if this were the case.

But don't worry. I believe that, if this case turns out to be true, even if MD/Airist gets away with it, there will be negative impact on their reputation.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #209 of 564
Noted. In my case, I would indeed get slaughtered unfortunately.

Hahaha. Why am I not surprised?

MD's role is unfortunately not the Judge here. That would be reserved for the law enforcement. If the plagiarism is indeed true, MD's role would probably be more akin to an accomplice who did not pull the trigger.

Why did he not patent it? Didn't he post his designs over the internet?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Didn't Will offer to compare some gerber files?

Now realistically speaking, why would MD do anything if there is no direct threat? We can't expect businesses to operate out of their moral or ethical obligations, can we? As much as I love for that to happen globally, that wouldn't be realistic, would it? Can you imagine how much better the world would be for all of us and our grandchildren, if this were the case.

But don't worry. I believe that, if this case turns out to be true, even if MD/Airist gets away with it, there will be negative impact on their reputation.

Intellectual property and trademark in China? It's the wild wild west. You can invent something today and before your first product gets shipped there are a dozen copycats selling on taobao.com that are ready to ship. Patent lawsuits are for the rich like Apple or Samsung. The litigation takes a lot of time and money. That's why Schiit audio never patents any of their Schiits. One, not to put their design out there in the patent office where anyone can take a look and "modify it" to their own. Two, it's almost impossible to police or enforce, then why even bother. And that's why Hibiki decided to not patent his design.

Yes, Will did offer to compare the gerber file but that's it. No follow up on the result or even if anyone took the offer to do the verification. Silence, crickets, and it blows over already and business as usual. Any reputable company would try their best to clear their name and not leave uncertainty with an issue like this don't you think? At least I would. That's why I question their integrity. Oh, forgot to mention at one point Will actually said Hibiki should be happy because this controversial brings in additional traffic and sales for the Hibiki board! I don't know about you but that's an A**h*** remark in my book.

Some fun reading on how IP works in China if you're interested. There are some good signs but still a long way to go.
http://fortune.com/new-balance-chinese-trademark/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/business/china-new-balance-trademark.html

Jun 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #210 of 564
Some fun reading on how IP works in China if you're interested. There are some good signs but still a long way to go.
http://fortune.com/new-balance-chinese-trademark/
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/business/china-new-balance-trademark.html
Thanks for the read. I know this only too well, from personal experience though and not only on intellectual properties. I spent some time there a long time ago. Reading the New Balance case bring back a lot of memories. Not all are pleasant.

Yes, Will did offer to compare the gerber file but that's it. No follow up on the result or even if anyone took the offer to do the verification.
I would certainly love to know the result. As does many people, I am sure. Did Sosolar/Hibiki take up on this offer?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back