Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Jan 23, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #557 of 564
My R2R has a very minor static sound in the right channel. It increases/decreases with the volume. Final Hail Mary is a new set of interconnects to make sure it’s not any kind of interference but I’m not hopeful.

What’s the next best thing? One of the Audio GD DACs? Amethyst? Hmmmm

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #558 of 564
Not familiar with the Amethyst but if you're happy with the sound with the Airist, the Denafrips might be more of what you like. My Audio-gd DAC is more colored than the Ares II.

Jan 23, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #559 of 564
Not familiar with the Amethyst but if you're happy with the sound with the Airist, the Denafrips might be more of what you like. My Audio-gd DAC is more colored than the Ares II.

The denafrips is interesting for sure.

I have a chord mojo as well (it sucks). The thing I like best about the R2R is that it doesn’t have that artificial detail/treble. I might go looking for a TDA NOS dac as well, which are plentiful on eBay but none are reviewed.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #560 of 564
If you are happy with bunch of opamps in Airist then fine. You go for Amethyst, you get TPA6120A2 chip. Not bad, but not really appropriate in this price range.

Otherwise R2R-11 should give you immediate improvements, but you are entering a dangerous path, it will just pump your desire for something better in the same house of sound. In other words jumping immediately to R-1 (or R-28 with HPA) makes a lot of sense. :)

Jan 23, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #561 of 564

I have a chord mojo as well (it sucks). The thing I like best about the R2R is that it doesn’t have that artificial detail/treble. I might go looking for a TDA NOS dac as well, which are plentiful on eBay but none are reviewed.
Don't get any TDA1543 stuff, those really suck. TDA1540/TDA1541 is where it's at...

Jan 23, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #562 of 564
So - weirdly enough - my right channel static has been eliminated by using different interconnects. I switched from a pretty standard pair to some blue jean cable RCAs.

But now I’m even more confused as to what was causing it. Maybe something on the amplifier side? Weirdly, when I used another DAC there wasn’t static.

Makes me want to get a better quality case for the R2R

Feb 15, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #563 of 564

In what way does the Mojo suck?

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #564 of 564
In what way does the Mojo suck?
Oh - it doesnt suck suck, its just not my kind of sound. To clarify, I have a 301 turntable as well - I used to have 2 different cartridges, one a Dynavector 17D3 and the other a Denon DL103r. The R2R is a DL103r and the Chord Mojo is a 17D3. I pretty much never used the 17D3.

I ended up with a Metrum Flint Dac 2, off the classifieds here. Its good - maybe not as good as the airist which seems to just do the right things for me.

Does anybody know how to open the Airist DAC? I want to see if my statis is being caused by somethig obvious, like a blown capacitor or something.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back