Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC: A Discrete Resistor Ladder DAC For $350
Jun 7, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #136 of 564
How about to post FFT result, let customer see if it is that low level.
Once using that noisy power source, it is really difficult to achieve -118dB SNR. For my design, it can go deep to -140db@1k further(fully tested). Just one bulk more.

That figure of -140dB is not a noise spec, its read off an FFT. When reading from an FFT you do need to take account of the bin bandwidth which is much, much narrower than the full audio bandwidth.

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #138 of 564
Hey Sosolar, you should put the balanced version in a very similar form factor as the RDAC. Well not the same height but the height of their amps.

Yep, build the balanced version (native DSD, MQA, dual balanced outs and an LPSU option, please!) into a virtually identical design to this and put the shoe on the other foot - instantly take a substantial built-in audience of CTH/LCX/AAA owners who will be happy to buy your product, and cut MD out of the loop as payback for Airist's contractor pinching your design. @sosolar

Jun 8, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #141 of 564
Guess everyone just so happens to forget "Innocent until proven guilty". Typical mindset now a days.

Yeah, they were innocent until we saw the evidence and testimony from the victim. Hell, even the reply on the massdrop thread by WilliamTse is incriminating. He shows five R2R boards with 'similar' designs - except two of them look almost *exactly* the same. But, yeah, let's not draw any conclusions. 'Who ya gonna believe, me or ur lying eyes?'

Lol. Gotta love audio forums. You see people as they really are.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #142 of 564
So it seems that massdrop is sticking to the story that its not a copy, and WilliamTse is basically now ignoring any post on the subject?

Was the sales number higher before? Trying to remember lol. Its at 186 now.

Was also kind of disappointed when I figured out the sosolar dac board sells for 2000 yuan.

Oh well, guess I'll just see what else unfolds.

Randy

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #143 of 564
Shame. I was very interested in joining the RDAC drop when it was announced, but I'm not willing to overlook a complete disregard for ethics (whether it's by Airist, Massdrop, or both) to get a good deal(?) on a dac.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #144 of 564
So it seems that massdrop is sticking to the story that its not a copy, and WilliamTse is basically now ignoring any post on the subject?

Was also kind of disappointed when I figured out the sosolar dac board sells for 2000 yuan.

Randy
Well the Audio-Gd R2R-11 is available and shipping and is guaranteed not to be a copy of any previous design as far as I’m aware :wink:

Seriously though, you get a brilliant true NOS discrete ladder dac with an amp that matches or exceeds the MD stand-alone amps for the same money. And no 6-month wait. If you’re looking for a ladder dac in this price range it’s a no-brainer.

Jun 8, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #145 of 564

Randy
I guess we forgot Massdrop is a partner on this project. This is their big push to complete their so-called MD stack line of products that use the same chassis design. Of course, they are sticking to their story.

Jun 8, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #148 of 564
UPDATE:
I replied a message to Will yesterday talking about my detailed design timeline picture by picture from 2015 until now, my personal preference unnecessary design such as big transistor, buffer opamps, logic switches and the request of their prototype pictures in timeline form.

Today, Will reply talking irrelevant topic i.e. r2r topology in Chinese forum(glad to know they are still with Airist), and refused my request saying that they dont have any picture to prove they was designing the same as mine.

He is trying to pasuade me that they have done the same thing in the same form without any proof, denying the fact. However, not every customer will believe your story, but quickly drain your hard-earned reputation.

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #149 of 564
I'm sorry that sosolar has to go through this. If Massdrop was sloppy enough to have this happen and still move forward, it doesn't bode well for their other products. If they have six months before delivery then that should be more than enough time to come to an agreement with sosolar or take Soekris up on their offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back