"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #2,326 of 6,388
Quote:
I think they're worth it. I always take risks on lesser known headphones bull and I'm glad I picked these over some Senns I will tell you they need some juice though, not as much as the 701s but I can't listen to them at an acceptable volume through any of my mp3 players. If you've got any sort of decent amp though you should be fine.

They do need an amp, and I am generally reluctant to say this.  They sounded really good from my little Pico Slim, but I could max the volume on the Pico Slim (roughly 175mW per channel).  I have an iBasso PB2 that drives them very well single ended, and balanced soon to come after a recable.

Many here recommend a desktop amp.  I'll go on record that there are portable amps out there that will drive these very well.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #2,327 of 6,388
Quote:
They do need an amp, and I am generally reluctant to say this.  They sounded really good from my little Pico Slim, but I could max the volume on the Pico Slim (roughly 175mW per channel).  I have an iBasso PB2 that drives them very well single ended, and balanced soon to come after a recable.

Many here recommend a desktop amp.  I'll go on record that there are portable amps out there that will drive these very well.

I agree. I bought a JDSLabs C421 to go with my MadDogs and they sound great.

I have a Schiit Lyr on the way, so I'm excited to compare the two when it arrives.

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2,328 of 6,388
Quote:

While I do like a good desktop amp for these, you're absolutely correct.  Hell, the Headamp Pico Power will drive the HE-6 with plenty of head room (heard this at CanJam).  You definitely don't have to get a desktop amp.  Plus, there are plenty of desktop amps that won't really get the job done.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #2,332 of 6,388
I know I've said the Mad Dog is very close to the LCD-2 (which it is), but nah, it's more like 20% of the LCD-3. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #2,334 of 6,388
Quote:
Well in terms of price its like 15 percent of the lcd3. I don't know if these are close to the LCD2. They sound similar in a lot of ways but I think the Mad dogs have a unique sound in their own right.

Yea. I agree. They are comparable to the LCD-2, IMO. However they also definitely have their own sound.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,335 of 6,388
Quote:
Does that mean its 85% of the LCD 2?

Well,maybe 75%...imho
Great headphone for the money
I tried them on my emo amp--volume couldn't go past 9'oclock.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #2,336 of 6,388
Really guys?

I love the mad dogs as well.  But shouldn't we let them beat up on sub $500 headphones like.

HD650
HD600
Q701
K701
Beyers  All of them except the T1
Paradox (up in the air - personal preference)
HE-400 (personal preference)
D5000 / D2000
Some Audio Technicas??  Don't know to much about these in this price range

Really any other sub $500 headphone in the world.  

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2,337 of 6,388
AFAIK, I'm really the only one who seriously feels the Mad Dogs are very much comparable to the LCD-2's. 

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #2,339 of 6,388
I feel my MD are very similar to the LCD-2, but with their own flare. However I'm still using 840 pads. FWIW.

Dec 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2,340 of 6,388
Quote:
I know I've said the Mad Dog is very close to the LCD-2 (which it is), but nah, it's more like 20% of the LCD-3. 

It might be only 20% of the LCD-3 if you're ignoring the Beats and iBuds of the world...

I feel my MD are very similar to the LCD-2, but with their own flare. However I'm still using 840 pads. FWIW.

I actually own both the 840 and Dog Pad versions, and they definitely have different characters.  The Dog Pad version is a little darker and a touch harder to drive.  Regardless, that they're a viable closed-back alternative to the LCD's or HE's speaks volumes about their value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back