"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 21, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #2,296 of 6,388
Quote:
One good thing about Pro900s for office and other use away from home is that they sound good out of portable amps/dacs like Fiio E17 / Audioengine D1, whereas it sounds like these MDs need something a bit beefier?

I assume my Mstage would power them OK at home, but if I wanted to use them away from home would I need to get another good desktop amp or would my E17 be OK?
I guess I could get something like a Meier Rock/Jazz if that would be a significant amp improvement (fed by e17 dac-only) ?

The E17 would do fine. Just don't expect them to perform stellar.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #2,297 of 6,388
I used an e17/ipod/lod with the MD's while I was away a few weeks ago and it was pretty good. The MD seems to like a lot of juice whereas the he400 can get to it's potential on less.

But to answer you question, the e17 would be a good portable solution provided that you ran it on +12 gain. I let several family members audition the portable setup with the MD's and they were all impressed. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2012 at 10:14 AM Post #2,298 of 6,388
Quote:

I assume my Mstage would power them OK at home, but if I wanted to use them away from home would I need to get another good desktop amp or would my E17 be OK?
I guess I could get something like a Meier Rock/Jazz if that would be a significant amp improvement (fed by e17 dac-only) ?

Your E17 should do Ok.
You'll probably crave more volume if you are one of those who love to listen to music at ear-splitting levels :wink:

Right now I'm using the new Schiit Magni amp and it's driving the MDs well (and they can go loud in an instant!). Before this, I was using my Mad Dogs with my Leckerton amp (which also drove them well!).

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #2,299 of 6,388
I received a package today in the mail that seems suspiciously sized right to be a new pair of cans, but I've been told not to open it until Christmas. I had been talking about the Mad Dogs to a few close friends and family who tolerate (if not understand) my audio obsession, and I am at once excitedly hoping that somebody got them for me and at the same time afraid that I'll be let down if they aren't the cans.

Can somebody describe the package mailed to them that their MDs came in, just so I can get a little more information either way on whether I should be excited or not?

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #2,300 of 6,388
Quote:
Can somebody describe the package mailed to them that their MDs came in, just so I can get a little more information either way on whether I should be excited or not?

Pretty generic box...might have been a USPS Priority box. Maybe not. Can't remember. The MD box itself is plain white with a small sticker on it indicating what it is. Not a particularly large box either. I don't think you'd be able to tell based on the box. :wink:

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #2,301 of 6,388
Quote:
I received a package today in the mail that seems suspiciously sized right to be a new pair of cans, but I've been told not to open it until Christmas. I had been talking about the Mad Dogs to a few close friends and family who tolerate (if not understand) my audio obsession, and I am at once excitedly hoping that somebody got them for me and at the same time afraid that I'll be let down if they aren't the cans.

Maybe ask Mr.Speakers and name off some close family member's names and see if he's sent any with that name.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #2,304 of 6,388
Maybe ask Mr.Speakers and name off some close family member's names and see if he's sent any with that name.

I wouldn't go that far, but I did already have some hope because it's a USPS box, which I already knew MrSpeakers uses.

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #2,307 of 6,388
My pair *should* be coming tomorrow, I can let you know for sure when I get them :)

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #2,308 of 6,388
Dec 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #2,310 of 6,388
Quote:
Not true, 'cause I would've gotten mine kicked for about 10 years in a row. 
tongue.gif

He just stared at you in your sleep. Dreaming of kicking your ass.

Either that or he went and had a listen on your headphones. WITHOUT ASKING YOUUUUUUUUU

Users who are viewing this thread

Back