"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 23, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2,342 of 6,388
Quote:
So when you said mad dog is 20% of lcd-3, that mean lcd-2 is also about 20% of lcd-3?
tongue.gif

-Ish. Part of my love for the MD is a huge % of enjoyment factor comparatively to top tier cans.
Many factors go into the final judgement of a can.

I feel it's a similar situation to what the HD650 offers all things considered.

I'm not exactly sure if that helps give perspective or not. Haha But that's how it goes.

Dec 23, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #2,343 of 6,388
I highly doubt the LCD3 is 80% better than the LCD2.   Infact FWIR, many people actually prefer the sound presentation of the LCD2's over the 3's. That does not make one distinctively better than the other - audio is subjective and its what makes this hobby wonderful. . Overhyping a can is not. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #2,344 of 6,388
I have a bit of an intention to acquire a pair of mad dogs to compare to HE400s, but I wanted to poll those who own a pair if anyone thinks they can still hear any plasticy resonances in the upper mids, even if just a tad.  I'm a bit paranoid after having damped the everloving crud out of my personal pair of T50s a while back without ever really getting much of anywhere so far as taming the resonances was concerned.  My being a crappy modder probably explains most of that but I thought I'd ask the audience just to be sure.

Another thing I could never fix on my personal pair was bass impact; drums and bass hits oftentimes had all the slam of a wet noodle, regardless of the quantity delivered.  840 pads, 003 pads, open/closed ports, etc, nothing really helped it so I eventually chalked it up to the size of the driver and gave up trying.  Are the mad dogs an improvement in this area or no?

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #2,345 of 6,388
Quote:
I feel my MD are very similar to the LCD-2, but with their own flare. However I'm still using 840 pads. FWIW.

I think this is a fair statement. They have a lot in common with the LCD-2 in terms of sound signature when compared to the wide variety of headphones, but do have their own unique sound. FWIW I think due to all factors, I'd probably pick these over the LCD-2

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #2,346 of 6,388
Hmm from memory, I feel the lcd2 was pretty superior to the md other than comfort. The md has great clarity and pretty balanced but the lcd2 has more flesh, more life... Of course, my opinion.
That being said I couldn't stand their comfort so i would never buy them again

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM Post #2,347 of 6,388
Quote:
Hmm from memory, I feel the lcd2 was pretty superior to the md other than comfort. The md has great clarity and pretty balanced but the lcd2 has more flesh, more life... Of course, my opinion.
That being said I couldn't stand their comfort so i would never buy them again

+1 on this,but the md's are less than 1/2 the price,and are a closed headphone
That said,the md's are extremely light,but do come close to the lcd2's,with some variation in sq.,as stated above
Even the latest upgrade from maddog,didn't prove to be that significant,in both the new earpads,and the upgrade with the baffle.,which I never did.

I still have mine,and had them balanced from BTG audio,but will put them up for sale ,this week-they get little to no use.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #2,348 of 6,388
I agree Mike, but I think people let the price get in the way of really comparing two headphones.  In our hobby, we usually strive for that last 5-15%.  The MDs compare very well to headphones mentioned earlier in the thread by prepro but if I'm looking for that last 15% of SQ and the Audeze does that (strictly SQ), then to me, they are not very similar other than the fact that they both reproduce great clarity. 
For instance, back a couple years ago when everyone was on the hype that the K70x sounded like maybe 75% of a HD800 or whatever it may have been.... I had both and I was really confused at why people would think that.  I then realized that peoples definition of percentages have to be different than mine which is their right because to me, the K70x might be 75% of the hd800 but that 25% is HUGE. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #2,349 of 6,388
Quote:
I agree Mike, but I think people let the price get in the way of really comparing two headphones.  In our hobby, we usually strive for that last 5-15%.  The MDs compare very well to headphones mentioned earlier in the thread by prepro but if I'm looking for that last 15% of SQ and the Audeze does that (strictly SQ), then to me, they are not very similar other than the fact that they both reproduce great clarity. 
For instance, back a couple years ago when everyone was on the hype that the K70x sounded like maybe 75% of a HD800 or whatever it may have been.... I had both and I was really confused at why people would think that.  I then realized that peoples definition of percentages have to be different than mine which is their right because to me, the K70x might be 75% of the hd800 but that 25% is HUGE. 

In this hobby this is so true and this is also what some of us strive for.  

Good Post caracara08

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #2,350 of 6,388
Quote:
Seriously tho! lol it's like dammit, guess I'm sending this one back too.

Hey gelocks, what other cans do you have and like besides the mad dogs? Have you came across anything that can compare cause I certainly haven't

The only other headphones a stood with: Ultrasone Signature Pro (I believe it's a step up from the Mad Dogs in all levels except comfort!) and my "home" phones, Sennheiser HD600s! Sold every other headphone I had.!

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,351 of 6,388
Quote:
 I then realized that peoples definition of percentages have to be different than mine which is their right because to me, the K70x might be 75% of the hd800 but that 25% is HUGE. 

My definition of those percentages is directly tied to cost and peer pressure. That 25% is never the same 25% 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #2,352 of 6,388
This is why percentages are not good headphone metrics
triportsad.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #2,353 of 6,388
Quote:
This is why percentages are not good headphone metrics
triportsad.gif

I certainly agree.  Though, wouldn't it be cool if someone actually took the time and effort to take a bunch of cans and score them in every category they can imagine and then do some sort of quantitative analysis.  The results would only be relevant for that one person, but it would give them the ability to legitimately say "for me A is x% better than B".  But I know I don't have the time or inclination to enter into that sort of endeavor.  If I did, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't be able to afford any of the cans I'd want to include.

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #2,354 of 6,388
Joker's been doing a pretty good job of scoring all his gear so far... 

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #2,355 of 6,388
Just got my mad dogs today. I'll withhold opinions since I'm sure new schitt syndrome is still in effect. I have to say these are smaller and heavier than I expected. I also think they look better in real life than the Internet too. The V-moda cable is also really cool. Too bad mine was grey, not that cool red/black that someone posted earlier... Oh well, very minor nitpick.
I will say this is the first ortho I've ever owned, and these do appear to have more detail than my HD600s across the board. Soundstage is also good for a closed back headphone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back