"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #2,371 of 6,388
I didn't want to speak for Dan, but I knew that he'd take care of you. Great guy!! Merry Chistmas Dan and thanks for my fantastic pair of MD's...
biggrin.gif

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #2,372 of 6,388
Quote:
I didn't want to speak for Dan, but I knew that he'd take care of you. Great guy!! Merry Chistmas Dan and thanks for my fantastic pair of MD's...
biggrin.gif

Yup, Dan got everything resolved very quickly, and I'm very happy. Thanks again and have a merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #2,373 of 6,388
Quote:
biggrin.gif

You are welcome!  Alas, I'm now sitting in an airport with a flight 5 hours late.  Sigh.  At least I caught up on my email....

Merry Christmas everyone, and for those of you traveling, may your sleigh-ride be a bit easier than mine was today!

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Dec 25, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #2,374 of 6,388
Quote:
So the C421 is a decent portable amp for MadDogs, but what other portable options are there? Would the Hippo CriCri drive MDs sufficiently? 

I'm a loud listener, so the Pico Slim would be a decent option for me with other headphones, but someone here said that it wasn't loud enough for MDs, so I doubt it'd be a loud enough combo for me. Oh and bass boost is a must for me (I'm a basshead that craves a neutral response otherwise)

The Pico Slim was barely enough.  It worked ok for me, I listen pretty quietly.  I could max it though, and it too loud for comfort, but I could tolerate it briefly.  The iBasso PB2 single ended is working well, though I understand balanced is a bit better with this amp.  I suspect an iBAsso P4 would work well (HighFlight mentioned to me that he believed it was the best amp iBasso has built to date). The Pico Dac Amp worked well, though I had it pretty briefly with the MD's.  I bet the Meier Stepdance/2/Quickstep would do well with it (Strictly conjecture though, no experience with them).  I'm sure the Pico Power also would do fine, whenever it comes along (conjecture again, but Justin's amps always do what he says they will).  I personally am betting the upcoming Centrance HIFI-M8 will be stellar, I am on the preorder for it.
Quote:

You are welcome!  Alas, I'm now sitting in an airport with a flight 5 hours late.  Sigh.  At least I caught up on my email....

Merry Christmas everyone, and for those of you traveling, may your sleigh-ride be a bit easier than mine was today!

Merry Christmas Dan! - I hate traveling at Christmas.  I hope you get home soon.

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #2,375 of 6,388
Hey Dan, thanks for rendering most of my sub-$400 gear useless! Hope you get back home nice and safe (though the value of these MDs would go up if you didn't...)!

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #2,378 of 6,388
When you guys say the Mad Dogs are hard to drive, are you just speaking volume wise? I'm using a Hifiman EF2A and can't make it to 9 o'clock without things getting too loud. I know the EF2A has way too much gain, but even my iPad was fine at 75-80% volume. 

Dec 25, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #2,379 of 6,388
Quote:
When you guys say the Mad Dogs are hard to drive, are you just speaking volume wise? I'm using a Hifiman EF2A and can't make it to 9 o'clock without things getting too loud. I know the EF2A has way too much gain, but even my iPad was fine at 75-80% volume. 

Keep in mind that more power (watts) does not equal more volume.  The Mad Dogs (and many other orthos) like more current reserves and a better damping factor (among other things).  They can be driven to acceptable levels with many amps (though not all amps), but the actual fidelity and dynamic range usually suffers with lesser offerings.  

Dec 25, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #2,380 of 6,388
Quote:

Keep in mind that more power (watts) does not equal more volume.  The Mad Dogs (and many other orthos) like more current reserves and a better damping factor (among other things).  They can be driven to acceptable levels with many amps (though not all amps), but the actual fidelity and dynamic range usually suffers with lesser offerings.  

That! xD

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #2,382 of 6,388
Quote:
How well would the Fiio E10 drive the Mad Dogs? I'm getting the impression that they don't work well with most portable amps.

Good impression
biggrin.gif
 Just get a Schiit Magni. Then add a Schiit Modi later

Dec 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #2,384 of 6,388
Quote:
How well would the Fiio E10 drive the Mad Dogs? I'm getting the impression that they don't work well with most portable amps.

While I don't have the Mad Dogs, I've driven the BMF and my own modded T50rps just fine with the e10. 

Dec 26, 2012 at 5:00 AM Post #2,385 of 6,388
Quote:
Good impression
biggrin.gif
 Just get a Schiit Magni. Then add a Schiit Modi later

Quote:
You need a powerful portable amp, like the MK3 or the SR-71B I think.

Unfortunately, I'm already stuck with the E10 and won't be upgrading it any time soon. The MDs are already $100 more than what I was originally going to spend. However, my next option was to get the Sennheiser Momentums
biggrin.gif

Quote:

While I don't have the Mad Dogs, I've driven the BMF and my own modded T50rps just fine with the e10. 

Hopefully a couple more people can say the same thing because these seem like the best <$300 closed headphones and I would like to get the most out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back