"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Dec 24, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #2,357 of 6,388
Wow you got yours on Xmas eve? Nice!!
Yep, 3 days after USPS originally estimated they would be here... :rolleyes:
I'm really liking them though. Much more detail than my HD600s. Tbh I wasn't sure how much of an upgrade these would be from the HD600. I didn't know if I'd love them or hate them. Turns out I love them. While I was having buyer's remorse right after buying them and thinking of returning them, that thought is completely gone from my head. Now the question is whether or not to get rid of the 600s :)

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #2,358 of 6,388
Quote:
Yep, 3 days after USPS originally estimated they would be here...
rolleyes.gif

I'm really liking them though. Much more detail than my HD600s. Tbh I wasn't sure how much of an upgrade these would be from the HD600. I didn't know if I'd love them or hate them. Turns out I love them. While I was having buyer's remorse right after buying them and thinking of returning them, that thought is completely gone from my head. Now the question is whether or not to get rid of the 600s
smily_headphones1.gif

I get ya... I decided to leave the HD600s for "At home" duties! :wink: Both are great.

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #2,359 of 6,388
Quote:

I get ya... I decided to leave the HD600s for "At home" duties! :wink: Both are great.

I'm even considering selling my HD600s, but I'm not sure what I would replace them with... That, and the parentals are getting mad at me for buying too many headphones :D

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #2,360 of 6,388
So the C421 is a decent portable amp for MadDogs, but what other portable options are there? Would the Hippo CriCri drive MDs sufficiently? 

I'm a loud listener, so the Pico Slim would be a decent option for me with other headphones, but someone here said that it wasn't loud enough for MDs, so I doubt it'd be a loud enough combo for me. Oh and bass boost is a must for me (I'm a basshead that craves a neutral response otherwise)

Dec 25, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #2,361 of 6,388
So the C421 is a decent portable amp for MadDogs, but what other portable options are there? Would the Hippo CriCri drive MDs sufficiently? 

I'm a loud listener, so the Pico Slim would be a decent option for me with other headphones, but someone here said that it wasn't loud enough for MDs, so I doubt it'd be a loud enough combo for me. Oh and bass boost is a must for me (I'm a basshead that craves a neutral response otherwise)

Just an FYI: I didn't find these didn't take too well to a bass boost. Even with bass boost enabled on my iPod, they still lacked "thump" like I'd want to hear out of a basshead headphone.

Dec 25, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #2,362 of 6,388
Quote:

I have a Hippo Cricri+ and it's sufficient enough for the MD.

Quote:
Just an FYI: I didn't find these didn't take too well to a bass boost. Even with bass boost enabled on my iPod, they still lacked "thump" like I'd want to hear out of a basshead headphone.

Well, I doubt that you or anyone even wanted to read every post in this long thread. But it's been discussed before that the MD is not a basshead headphone.

It was also not suggested to drive the MD straight out of your iPhone. Pair it with an amp, or if you have, try EQ-ing too.

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:51 AM Post #2,363 of 6,388
Quote:
Well, I doubt that you or anyone even wanted to read every post in this long thread. But it's been discussed before that the MD is not a basshead headphone.

Thank you.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #2,364 of 6,388
I have a Hippo Cricri+ and it's sufficient enough for the MD.

It was also not suggested to drive the MD straight out of your iPhone. Pair it with an amp, or if you have, try EQ-ing too.

I understand the MD is not a bass head 'phone without EQ. However, how a headphone's frequency response changes according to an EQ that you apply to it is a different question IMO, which I was trying to answer for the person who asked that question.

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #2,365 of 6,388
I'm well aware that MDs are not basshead cans. I've also come to accept that I'm a basshead that prefers fidelity along the whole spectrum which is where MDs fall. I'm pretty dead set on MDs, but I know I'm gonna want that extra bass pressure. 

But what's meant by they don't take well to bass boost? The bass bloats and sounds flabby? 

Dec 25, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #2,366 of 6,388
I understand the MD is not a bass head 'phone without EQ. However, how a headphone's frequency response changes according to an EQ that you apply to it is a different question IMO, which I was trying to answer for the person who asked that question.
Also, I was looking at my MDs and noticed that there is a collection of what appears to be tool marks on the left can. Does anyone else have tool marks on theirs as well?

Post a few pics and lets have a look. Mine have no marks.

Dec 25, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #2,367 of 6,388
In other news, it turns out that my suspicions were correct. The mysterious box that showed up at my door a few days ago has turned out this Christmas morning to be, in fact, a pair of MDs from who is now my favorite friend.

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #2,368 of 6,388

The Pico doesnt have enough juice for the MD imo, its an IEM amp, so the <1ohm will hurt the MD's presentation.

The Mad Dog with Dog Pads is a great bass can btw.

Dec 25, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2,370 of 6,388
Oh gosh sorry about that. The strap screw must not have been tightened enough, the screw head must be protruding. Please pm me and we'll take care of it.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back