"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 10, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,352 of 6,388
Did not have time to read all the pages, im sorry. Are those headphones over ear?
How good is the isolation?
Is my audioengine d1 enough for them?
Can my tablet drive them?
Are those considerable as portables? I mean i like over ears. I will settle for no less.

sorry for the english

EDIT: How is the sound characteristicks? Are those flat or "V" ?

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #1,353 of 6,388
Quote:
Did not have time to read all the pages, im sorry. Are those headphones over ear?
How good is the isolation?
Is my audioengine d1 enough for them?
Can my tablet drive them?
Are those considerable as portables? I mean i like over ears. I will settle for no less.
sorry for the english
EDIT: How is the sound characteristicks? Are those flat or "V" ?

- They are over-ear (circumaural)
- The isolation is good; I use mine at work in a cubicle with no complaints.
- Your d1/tablet can drive them, but I do think they benefit from good amplification.
- They don't have a ton of clamping force, so portability is not good if you're going to be moving quickly.  If you're not literally running everywhere, they'll work for portable use.  The cable is long and relatively heavy, so you would probably want to buy the V-Moda audio only cable (~12 USD) since it is lighter and shorter.
- The sound is definitely flat.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #1,355 of 6,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickman link

I'm going to eventually buy another pair of headphones to compliment my Darth Beyer V4's. I was thinking of either getting the Mad Dogs, HE-400, or AH-D5000. I have the Dacport LX and Burson Soloist amp. 

Can anyone compare the current/newest Mad Dog headphones to the Hifiman HE-400 and Denon D5000s? I listen to mainly electronic, house, and trance music. I'm looking for a headphone that has deep textured sub bass, good mids, non-sibilant highs, good at revealing micro details, large soundstage, and good instrument separation.

Also will the Mad Dogs be able to be properly driven out of something like a Fiio E11 portable amp?

If you looking for HE-400/D5000 and/or highs and details of D5000 Mad Dogs are not for you. I learned it hard way

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,356 of 6,388
Quote:
If you looking for HE-400/D5000 and/or highs and details of D5000 Mad Dogs are not for you. I learned it hard way

Agreed!
And if you like a lot of sub-bass... yeah, don't look this way! LOL
Mad Dogs are pretty much neutral with a bit dark tone and great mids to my ears... but they definitely don't have the sub-bass power of the D5000s (even though they do extend well in the bass region!)

I haven't tried the HE400s so... can't tell.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #1,357 of 6,388
Quote:

I would note that you had one of the units I wanted returned for modification, and is not representative of the target sound.  The mids and highs were off, so you have not heard a correctly tuned unit.  Not that this is intended to sound like a HE 400 or D5000...  I'll let others comment on that.  
smile.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #1,359 of 6,388
OK, to address all your requests for comparative plots for the 840 and Dog Pad, here are charts are from a typical unit that went through an upgrade from 840 to Dog Pad...  These charts are the same headphone before and after.

The purple is the 840, the red is the Dog Pad.  You'll immediately see two key differences, below 200 Hz the Dog Pad is much flatter, and has better sub-bass extension.  Because there is less of a "bump" from 80-200Hz, the low bass actaully sounds more prominent and balanced.  Also, as the peak at 1K is smoothed out, so there is a little smoother sound to the mids, they feel more natural and balanced, with less of a dry overtone and a more lush overall presentation.  

EDIT: If you are not familiar with headphone frequency response curves, don't be alarmed by the large rolloff over 1K and the "peak" at 7-10K, headphone meaurements are VERY different from loudspeakers.  See Tyll's excellent writeup on InnerFidelity here for more info.

In the time-domain, here is the original unit with 840 pads...

Decay is very smooth with only minor bumps below 1000Hz, and no resonance modes (which show as large ridges) anywhere in the spectrum.  

Now here's the same phone with the Dog Pad:

You can see that the area below 1000Hz decays even faster, as does the ENTIRE spectrum (note how there is almost no yellow, this means the sound energy has decayed much faster than with the 840 pads, and the 840 version was already very fast).  This gives the phone a greater sense of dark space and better separation.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,360 of 6,388

OK, to address all your requests for comparative plots for the 840 and Dog Pad, here are charts are from a typical unit that went through an upgrade from 840 to Dog Pad... These charts are the same headphone before and after.

The purple is the 840, the red is the Dog Pad. You'll immediately see two key differences, below 200 Hz the Dog Pad is much flatter, and has better sub-bass extension. Because there is less of a "bump" from 80-200Hz, the low bass actaully sounds more prominent and balanced. Also, as the peak at 1K is smoothed out, so there is a little smoother sound to the mids, they feel more natural and balanced, with less of a dry overtone and a more lush overall presentation.

EDIT: If you are not familiar with headphone frequency response curves, don't be alarmed by the large rolloff over 1K and the "peak" at 7-10K, headphone meaurements are VERY different from loudspeakers. See Tyll's excellent writeup on InnerFidelity here for more info.

Decay is very smooth with only minor bumps below 1000Hz, and no resonance modes (which show as large ridges) anywhere in the spectrum.

You can see that the area below 1000Hz decays even faster, as does the ENTIRE spectrum (note how there is almost no yellow, this means the sound energy has decayed much faster than with the 840 pads, and the 840 version was already very fast). This gives the phone a greater sense of dark space and better separation.

I'm geeking out on graphs!

mrspeakers; does the current "Upgrade your Fostex T50RP to MrSpeakers Mad Dog Headphones" for the price of 189.00$ include the MadDog pads as well?  I am very intersted in taking my T50's to another level (Stalone quote!), but would like to know what's included.
And also, not sure if this was asked before, can you perform dual entry upon request?

Thank you.

Oct 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #1,361 of 6,388
Got my Mad Dogs back from Brian at BTG Audio, very happy with the craftsmanship as well as his support. Responses to emails are almost instant. Oh and here's my port rig I'm using with them.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #1,362 of 6,388
Quote:

OK, to address all your requests for comparative plots for the 840 and Dog Pad, here are charts are from a typical unit that went through an upgrade from 840 to Dog Pad... These charts are the same headphone before and after.

The purple is the 840, the red is the Dog Pad. You'll immediately see two key differences, below 200 Hz the Dog Pad is much flatter, and has better sub-bass extension. Because there is less of a "bump" from 80-200Hz, the low bass actaully sounds more prominent and balanced. Also, as the peak at 1K is smoothed out, so there is a little smoother sound to the mids, they feel more natural and balanced, with less of a dry overtone and a more lush overall presentation.

EDIT: If you are not familiar with headphone frequency response curves, don't be alarmed by the large rolloff over 1K and the "peak" at 7-10K, headphone meaurements are VERY different from loudspeakers. See Tyll's excellent writeup on InnerFidelity here for more info.

You can see that the area below 1000Hz decays even faster, as does the ENTIRE spectrum (note how there is almost no yellow, this means the sound energy has decayed much faster than with the 840 pads, and the 840 version was already very fast). This gives the phone a greater sense of dark space and better separation.

I'm geeking out on graphs!

Dan, does the current "Upgrade your Fostex T50RP to MrSpeakers Mad Dog Headphones" for the price of 189.00$ include the MadDog pads as well?  I am very intersted in taking my T50's to another level (Stalone quote!), but would like to know what's included.
And also, not sure if this was asked before, can you perform dual entry upon request?

Thank you.

At the moment it does not include the Dog Pads.  I will be making that option available in a week or so...  The upgrade would be to a full Mad Dog + comfort strap + Dog Pads.

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #1,363 of 6,388
Quote:
OK, to address all your requests for comparative plots for the 840 and Dog Pad, here are charts are from a typical unit that went through an upgrade from 840 to Dog Pad...  These charts are the same headphone before and after.

The purple is the 840, the red is the Dog Pad.  You'll immediately see two key differences, below 200 Hz the Dog Pad is much flatter, and has better sub-bass extension.  Because there is less of a "bump" from 80-200Hz, the low bass actaully sounds more prominent and balanced.  Also, as the peak at 1K is smoothed out, so there is a little smoother sound to the mids, they feel more natural and balanced, with less of a dry overtone and a more lush overall presentation.  

EDIT: If you are not familiar with headphone frequency response curves, don't be alarmed by the large rolloff over 1K and the "peak" at 7-10K, headphone meaurements are VERY different from loudspeakers.  See Tyll's excellent writeup on InnerFidelity here for more info.

You can see that the area below 1000Hz decays even faster, as does the ENTIRE spectrum (note how there is almost no yellow, this means the sound energy has decayed much faster than with the 840 pads, and the 840 version was already very fast).  This gives the phone a greater sense of dark space and better separation.

Very nice... I think you are closing the gap between your phone and the Paradox as it seems you are going for a more balanced response! :wink:
Like that you are still "tweaking" these out...

I'll contact you later in the week Dan... I'll send mine out to you for this new change.

Thanks.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #1,364 of 6,388
Quote:

At the moment it does not include the Dog Pads.  I will be making that option available in a week or so...  The upgrade would be to a full Mad Dog + comfort strap + Dog Pads.

Dan, if I get the regular Mad Dog with the Shure 840 pads can I take them off to put on Stax EP-007 pads?

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #1,365 of 6,388
Quote:
Dan, if I get the regular Mad Dog with the Shure 840 pads can I take them off to put on Stax EP-007 pads?

The 840 pads aren't sewn on, so yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back