"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #1,324 of 6,388
The Vmoda Audio Cable is just a stereo cable (TRS).  The 45deg. angle end has a TRRS plug but it is only used as a TRS.  I assume Vmoda use the angle plug from their already available cell phone cable for convenience instead of having manufacture another one.  The TRRS end has caused some confusion.

Oct 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #1,325 of 6,388
Quote:
How is vocal detail and resolution with Mad Dogs compared to Sig Pro?  How do the highs compare? Now that I found my fun headphone for modern music, I am looking for something with impressive midrange detail for soft rock and vocals.

Vocal detail on both of them is quite good but I have to give the nudge to the Mad Dogs because I find the mids more upfront. Listening to Esperanza Spalding, Nina Simone, etc. on these is a treat... BUT... still, I also have to give the 1up to the Shure 940s for vocals and acoustic!!! If you want a headphone just for listening vocals (especially female) I can definitely recommend the Shures...

Quote:

How do the two compare soundstage wise (the mad dogs and the ultrasone sig pro)?

I don't find either of them as having great soundstage/instrument separation if compared against my Senns HD600s or the Shure 1840s (that was the best characteristic to MY ears for these Shures...). Both of them (MDs and Sig Pros) are a bit narrow and I wouldn't/couldn't tell you which one is "better" on that characteristic alone.

Oct 8, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #1,326 of 6,388
My Mad Dogs arrived today.
I was notified they had shipped on 2nd OCT, arrived to me in regional NSW, Australia, on 9th OCT. Great shipping.

Burning in at present. Some photos - forgot to take one with plastic wrapping over external box:

VERY QUICK initial impressions ( only a quick sample of a few well known tracks - FLAC / Foobar 2000 / Wasapi / Meier Audio StageDAC / Asgard ):
Only in comparison to AT AD900s & Beyer DT880 600 ohm Manufakturs - never heard any other HPs.
I'm awaiting delivery of SR-507 & upgraded Woo GES.

COMFORT: Very comfy - slightly more noticeable than my well run-in Beyers (2 and a half years old) but no issue.
One thing to note is there is greater range of large adjustment on the MDs. My Beyers are on MAX size setting for my fat head, still have more room to go on MDs.

SOUND: Smooth and detailed - bass seems neutralish - closer, more intimate soundstage than Beyers (closed vs semi-open ???).
Still good separation considering they have a closer presentation then the Beyers.

Asgard seems to drive them very well. 12 noon is quite loud.

I like them very much on initial impression. Kill the AD900s for music.
Usual caveats apply:  IMHO, YMMV, my music & equipment etc.

Thanks Dan, it has been a joy to deal with you.

Cheers,

Raksy

Oct 9, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #1,327 of 6,388
Quote:
My Mad Dogs arrived today.
I was notified they had shipped on 2nd OCT, arrived to me in regional NSW, Australia, on 9th OCT. Great shipping.

Burning in at present. Some photos - forgot to take one with plastic wrapping over external box:

VERY QUICK initial impressions ( only a quick sample of a few well known tracks - FLAC / Foobar 2000 / Wasapi / Meier Audio StageDAC / Asgard ):
Only in comparison to AT AD900s & Beyer DT880 600 ohm Manufakturs - never heard any other HPs.
I'm awaiting delivery of SR-507 & upgraded Woo GES.

COMFORT: Very comfy - slightly more noticeable than my well run-in Beyers (2 and a half years old) but no issue.
One thing to note is there is greater range of large adjustment on the MDs. My Beyers are on MAX size setting for my fat head, still have more room to go on MDs.

SOUND: Smooth and detailed - bass seems neutralish - closer, more intimate soundstage than Beyers (closed vs semi-open ???).
Still good separation considering they have a closer presentation then the Beyers.

Asgard seems to drive them very well. 12 noon is quite loud.

I like them very much on initial impression. Kill the AD900s for music.
Usual caveats apply:  IMHO, YMMV, my music & equipment etc.

Thanks Dan, it has been a joy to deal with you.

Cheers,

Raksy

You're welcome!   Thank you, as well.

beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 9, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #1,331 of 6,388
Quote:

Vocal detail on both of them is quite good but I have to give the nudge to the Mad Dogs because I find the mids more upfront. Listening to Esperanza Spalding, Nina Simone, etc. on these is a treat... BUT... still, I also have to give the 1up to the Shure 940s for vocals and acoustic!!! If you want a headphone just for listening vocals (especially female) I can definitely recommend the Shures...

I don't find either of them as having great soundstage/instrument separation if compared against my Senns HD600s or the Shure 1840s (that was the best characteristic to MY ears for these Shures...). Both of them (MDs and Sig Pros) are a bit narrow and I wouldn't/couldn't tell you which one is "better" on that characteristic alone.

Thanks for that answer. I too found the shure 940's to be good at one thing especially- female vocals. 
That's good that the mad dogs don't sound more closed in than the sig pro's. I guess anything much less than that would sound too closed in for me to enjoy properly. Heck, this IEM, grado gr8, don't get any eartime at all because of it's less than impressive soundstage. Maybe I'm claustrophobic. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #1,333 of 6,388
Quote:
The Vmoda Audio Cable is just a stereo cable (TRS).  The 45deg. angle end has a TRRS plug but it is only used as a TRS.  I assume Vmoda use the angle plug from their already available cell phone cable for convenience instead of having manufacture another one.  The TRRS end has caused some confusion.

So, which end does the 45 degree angle plug go in?

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #1,334 of 6,388
Quote:
So, which end does the 45 degree angle plug go in?

Headphone end.  I ordered one that arrived same day as my Mad Dogs.  It is a really nice solution for portable or at the work desk listening.  I can't tell any sound difference between stock and the vmoda.   I was gonna shorten and re-terminate the stock cable.  After trying the vmoda, I won't bother.  I'll probably buy another one for a spare.

Oct 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #1,335 of 6,388
Seriously considering ordering a pair of the Mad Dogs as i'm hearing some pretty fantastic stuff. These would be for indoor work use. Running off an iPhone or Macbook. Are these worth getting without an amp? If they must have an amp, which would be best to use on a Macbook Pro? I'm looking to spend no more than ~$400 total for everything (Headphones + Amp). Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back