"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 9, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #1,336 of 6,388
Quote:
Seriously considering ordering a pair of the Mad Dogs as i'm hearing some pretty fantastic stuff. These would be for indoor work use. Running off an iPhone or Macbook. Are these worth getting without an amp? If they must have an amp, which would be best to use on a Macbook Pro? I'm looking to spend no more than ~$400 total for everything (Headphones + Amp). Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks! 

I've been using a Pico Slim.  I'm looking for something more powerful to see if it makes them sound any better.  Pico Slim does a nice job with them, though.  I haven't tried them straight out of an iPod or my MBA yet.

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #1,337 of 6,388
Pico Slim looks nice but its $400 just for the amp! I'm not quite ready to drop that much cash on an amp just yet. Considering the Mad Dogs are around $250, most i'd be willing to spend is $150 on an amp. It doesn't have to be portable. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #1,338 of 6,388
Quote:
Seriously considering ordering a pair of the Mad Dogs as i'm hearing some pretty fantastic stuff. These would be for indoor work use. Running off an iPhone or Macbook. Are these worth getting without an amp? If they must have an amp, which would be best to use on a Macbook Pro? I'm looking to spend no more than ~$400 total for everything (Headphones + Amp). Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks! 

My FiiO E11 is value priced, compact and has great sound with good power for its size and price.  An E12 is coming out for just over $100 and should be superior with more power for portable use.  E17 has DAC hookup and portability in your budget.

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #1,339 of 6,388
Thanks for the amp suggestions guys. So i've pretty much decided i'm going to get these. Couple quick questions:

Is it worth it to get the leather comfort strap? What about the "DogPads" earpads? I'd prefer to keep the price down, but would like these to still be comfortable. 

What is the return policy on these? I see 15 day money back guarantee, but does that also cover buyers remorse type things? (i.e. They dont fit me well, I don't like their sound, etc.)

Oct 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,340 of 6,388
Quote:
Thanks for the amp suggestions guys. So i've pretty much decided i'm going to get these. Couple quick questions:

Is it worth it to get the leather comfort strap? What about the "DogPads" earpads? I'd prefer to keep the price down, but would like these to still be comfortable. 

What is the return policy on these? I see 15 day money back guarantee, but does that also cover buyers remorse type things? (i.e. They dont fit me well, I don't like their sound, etc.)

I am considering these and would personally go for the leather strap and Dog Pads if I were to purchase.  I have read the strap makes a noticeable difference in comfort. Also, I prefer circumaural leather pads to any other option.  Additionally, I have read there are sonic benefits (as with most circumaural vs. supra aural).

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,341 of 6,388
Quote:

Quote:
I am considering these and would personally go for the leather strap and Dog Pads if I were to purchase.  I have read the strap makes a noticeable difference in comfort. Also, I prefer circumaural leather pads to any other option.  Additionally, I have read there are sonic benefits (as with most circumaural vs. supra aural).

I have the Mad Dogs with the comfort strap and the Shure 840 pads.  I had ordered the Dog Pads and I'm still unsure whether I'll ship my set to Dan for the upgrade or not.  I definitely enjoy them with the 840 pads.  I'd venture to guess that any audible change the Dog Pads make would be incremental or a matter of personal preference as my current set are quite excellent.  That being said, I've generally found leather and velour to be significantly more durable than any pads that are similar to the 840's.  I'll make sure to stop by Dan's table at CanJam to check out the Mad Dogs with the pad upgrade before I make my own decision, but it definitely seems like the way to go.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,342 of 6,388
Quote:

The return policy is no questions asked.  The only thing is the headphone has to come back in mint condition.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #1,344 of 6,388
Not sure yet.

Dan will later post (this week or the next) a couple of notes regarding the sonic differences between the pads. So stay tuned I guess :wink:

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #1,345 of 6,388
What a fantastic policy! I doubt ill have to use it, but it's nice to know its there. 

Does anyone have experience with the standard ear pads vs the DogPads? Is it really worth an extra ~$55?

I was thinking I might suffer buyers remorse until I heard them. I decided to sell other stuff. They really sound great. "Lush" comes to mind. I haven't tried the shure pads. I hate pleather. The dog pads are very comfy and sound great. I think the fostex headband without comfort strap would get uncomfortable quickly. It is rubber with the metal headband easily felt through it.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #1,346 of 6,388
Quote:
I'm going to eventually buy another pair of headphones to compliment my Darth Beyer V4's. I was thinking of either getting the Mad Dogs, HE-400, or AH-D5000. I have the Dacport LX and Burson Soloist amp. 

Can anyone compare the current/newest Mad Dog headphones to the Hifiman HE-400 and Denon D5000s? I listen to mainly electronic, house, and trance music. I'm looking for a headphone that has deep textured sub bass, good mids, non-sibilant highs, good at revealing micro details, large soundstage, and good instrument separation.

Also will the Mad Dogs be able to be properly driven out of something like a Fiio E11 portable amp?

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #1,347 of 6,388
Quote:

Can anyone compare the current/newest Mad Dog headphones to the Hifiman HE-400 and Denon D5000s? I listen to mainly electronic, house, and trance music. I'm looking for a headphone that has deep textured sub bass, good mids, non-sibilant highs, good at revealing micro details, large soundstage, and good instrument separation.

Also will the Mad Dogs be able to be properly driven out of something like a Fiio E11 portable amp?

I was actually just thinking about the same question
tongue.gif
 Also does Dan sew on the pads? It looks like it but if so is there anyway I can have it so he doesnt sew them on? Because I will be getting Stax EP-007 pads to put on the Mad Dogs.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,348 of 6,388
Quote:
I was actually just thinking about the same question
tongue.gif
 Also does Dan sew on the pads? It looks like it but if so is there anyway I can have it so he doesnt sew them on? Because I will be getting Stax EP-007 pads to put on the Mad Dogs.

The dogpads at least slip off.  I had them off to smooth out the foam piece underneath earlier today.

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #1,349 of 6,388
The dogpads at least slip off.  I had them off to smooth out the foam piece underneath earlier today.
i was talking about the shure 840 pads that come with the regular mad dogs.

Oct 10, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #1,350 of 6,388
I was one of those owners who received the notice from Dan about a limited number of Mad Dogs having gone out with a problem which caused dark or muffled mids. I decided to take advantage of the offer. Whatever the issue was, the problem was fixed and the headphones shipped back out the same day...excellent service from Mr. Speakers! He even paid shipping both ways. This upgrade/fix was for a Mad Dogs with "Dog Pads" and the "Comfort Strap" options.

I'm admittedly going on a week-old memory of the sonics, but I'm really digging the sound now! I have no issue at all with the mids, or any other frequency band. I won't mistake the headphones for my LCD-2 Rev. 2s (mainly due to sound staging of the open LCD-2s), but these Mad Dogs are a heck of a value. They perform impressively whether driven from a Bifrost/Lyr combo at home, or a Samsung GS3 >>ODAC + O2 setup for work.

I have a V-MODA M-80 cable on the way to use instead of the stock T-50rp cable, and will be replacing the angled 1/8" plug of the M-80 cable with a right-angle metal Neutrik plug, as I'm not fond of the 45-degree angle style.

In summary about the Mad Dogs: excellent audio for the price, very good comfort and isolation, and top-notch customer service. What's not to like? 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back